Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bring back Hazen Pingree!

Amazing how similar the problems were.

From Wikipedia:

Pingree was elected mayor of Detroit in 1889 on a platform of exposing and ending corruption in city paving contracts, sewer contracts, and the school board. During the depression of 1893, Pingree expanded the public welfare programs, initiated public works for the unemployed, built new schools, parks, and public baths. He gained national recognition through his "potato patch plan," a systematic use of vacant city land for gardens which would produce food for the city's poor.

Hazen S. Pingree IS DEAD!! for over 100 years. If he was alive he would sweep out Kwame's mess and open his patato potches for his urban farming revival.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hazen S. Pingree IS DEAD!! for over 100 years. If he was alive he would sweep out Kwame's mess and open his patato potches for his urban farming revival.

Bring back Pingree, for Neda's sake

Hazen DIED? No one tells me anything.

Yeah, Detroit needs more public baths.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, Detroit needs more public baths.
    Public baths was the old fashioned term for Swimming pools.

I just found it interesting that in 1889, he was fighting corruption in ... sewer contracts, and the school board - just like today.

Also he was pushing the use of vacant city land for gardens - just like today.

Where did he get the money for all those projects. And during a panic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    He's not dead. Look, he's on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/hazenspingree and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...ee/21547537855

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Where did he get the money for all those projects. And during a panic too.
    Where he got the money: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/pingree

He even sold his cherished horsies.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Public baths was the old fashioned term for Swimming pools.
    Oh okay. I've always heard the term used to refer to a steam room.

Ray, it looks like there are other people in that tomb with him. I've never seen that before.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hazen DIED? No one tells me anything.
    Hell, I didn't even know he was sick.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Ray, it looks like there are other people in that tomb with him. I've never seen that before.

Stromberg2
    Those mausoleums have a lot of room in them. Sherman Depew was his son in law, probably wifes of both were also interred there. As well as somebody named Mills, perhaps a family.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Looks roomy enough, Strom. Hope someone tossed in a deck of cards.

Im not sure about bringing him back......after all being dead for over a century he may be somewhat malodorous.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Im not sure about bringing him back......after all being dead for over a century he may be somewhat malodorous.....
    Unless he had a helluva embalmer, wouldn't be anything left but bones by now.

The toe bone connect to the foot bone. The foot bone connect to the ankle bone, The ankle bone......well, never mind.

Did I hear my name?

IMG_3661 by ltdanbassett, on Flickr

well, why didn't you vote for him? maybe next time.

IMG_3668 by ltdanbassett, on Flickr

he seems to pop up like crocus in the spring.

Idol of the people

amen, brother. there's a reason most of the guys with streets named after them in Detroit despised his progressive asz.

him on him by ltdanbassett, on Flickr

word on the street is that Pingree's re-election committee is now in reformation. Yes, he was True, Honest and Brave -- and we need him to smote the pols who have spent too much time at the spicket and very little at the bunghole.