Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Asian-Americans settle in Metro Detroit enclaves

Micki Steele / The Detroit News

Upen Saparia followed his brother from India to Michigan 10 years ago after a brief stop in Canada, and since then, the computer contractor has never been out of work or worried about losing his job.

"I like everything, except winter, everything in Michigan," said Saparia, 38, of Rochester Hills, who also owns a full-service Indian grocery store in Troy. "The people are great, and it's the land of opportunity."

The economic downturn of the past decade may have brought unemployment and plummeting housing values to some Metro Detroiters, but Asian-Americans see nothing but opportunity here.

The combined Asian-American population in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties grew 37 percent between 2000 and 2010 — from 100,792 to 138,075, according to U.S. census figures released last month.

The rise slightly outpaced the Hispanic population, which rose by nearly one-third from 118,641 to 156,275 in the tri-county area.

Nearly half of the area's Asian-Americans live in Oakland County, where almost 23 percent of residents are black, Asian or Hispanic. These numbers reflect the region's increasing diversity.

"Everybody comes because of the auto industry — that was the sum of it at the beginning," said Kurt Metzger, director of Data Driven Detroit, a public policy think tank. "And immigrants are creating a third of the high-tech businesses and they're located in Oakland County."

Many of the communities that have seen significant Asian growth offer a diverse populace, good schools, low crime rates and jobs.

Last edited by begingri; April-19-11 at 05:22 PM.

In case anyone wants exact numbers:

Last edited by begingri; April-19-11 at 05:22 PM.

very good.. hopefully more will settle in urban Detroit soon.. new businesses can crop up..

Most of the Asian Americans settle mostly in Troy/Madison Heights Area. An 'Asiantown' of Chinese, Vietnamese and Koreans set up mom and pop shops on John R Rd. from 13 Mile to 12 Mile Rd. Troy has the highest Asian population in Oakland County about 10 to 20 percent.

Africa American young people don't appear to be interested in opening businesses, or am I wrong? The ones I've encountered in high schools want to go into music or professional athletics. Some talk about going to college, but most have not prepared themselves in school or they finally start thinking seriously in 11th grade. They have a lot of catch-up which has got to be depressing. Middle school seems to be the place where kids lose their way in school.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Africa American young people don't appear to be interested in opening businesses, or am I wrong? The ones I've encountered in high schools want to go into music or professional athletics. Some talk about going to college, but most have not prepared themselves in school or they finally start thinking seriously in 11th grade. They have a lot of catch-up which has got to be depressing. Middle school seems to be the place where kids lose their way in school.
    Sigh. Why go there? This is a perfectly good thread about Asian Americans. It has nothing to do with Black folks.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Sigh. Why go there? This is a perfectly good thread about Asian Americans. It has nothing to do with Black folks.
    This, what a polarized comment that has nothing to do with the actual thread. Troll some more maxx, it is very becoming.

To actually address the post, there has been a huge influx of Bengali people in Hamtramck.

Thanks, p1acebo. I was going to post something along the lines of the following before I saw that comment: "I'm very glad more Asian Americans are finding opportunity and hope in Michigan. This article is a bright spot in the [[largely negative) census coverage. Hope this trend continues."

One of the many reasons why California is such a great state is its diversity. You can get any kind of cuisine in the Bay Area and in SoCal, and they don't seem to be so polarized.

Asian American families tend to keep the children under a pre-strict midset on their futures. Their parents wanted then to excel more to computer engineering, doctors, pre-med, and they trying to reach Hollywood status by showing their Bollywood persona. They mostly mingle with their own cliques according their race and not much worrying other people and other races. Asian Americans are already excel in mathematics than any other races. Even in undeveloped nations. They would one day take over our country if they can overpopulate [[ just like they did in India and China) and inch their way into politics.

Kind of pathetic that some DYers feel the need to share every crass ethnic stereotype they have on this thread.

How do these numbers stack up with other major metropolitan areas? And why didn't the author include that in the article?