Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Moral Dilemmas

Default Moral Dilemmas

just for fun... no right or wrong answers

You have witnessed a man rob a bank, but then, he did something completely unusual and unexpected with the money. He donated it to an orphanage that was poor, run-down and lacking in proper food, care, water and amenities. The sum of money would be a great benefit to the orphanage, and the children’s lives would turn from poor to prosperous. Would you:

a: Call the police and report the robber, even though they would likely take the money away from the orphanage, or
    b: Do nothing and leave the robber and the orphans alone?

Your best friend is about to get married. The ceremony will be performed in one hour, but you have seen, just before coming to the wedding, that your friend’s fiancee has been having an affair. If your friend marries this woman, she is unlikely to be faithful, but on the other hand, if you tell your friend about the affair, you will ruin his wedding. Would you, or would you not, tell your friend of the affair?

A man/woman [[whichever is opposite your gender), is immortal, because [[s)he and his/her family have drank from a fountain of youth, not knowing what it was. You are now in love with this person and have felt this way long enough that you know [[s)he to be your destiny. However, the only way you can stay together forever is if you drink from the fountain of youth and become immortal, too. If you do this, however, your family and everyone else you know will grow old and eventually die, and you will never be reunited in heaven with them, or your loved ones that you have known, who have already died. On the other hand, if you don’t drink from the fountain, you will grow old and eventually die, and the person with whom you are in love will never see you again, and be condemned to an eternity of loneliness and only memories of you. What would you do?
    [[From Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt)

Jim has the responsibility of filling a position in his firm. His friend Paul has applied and is qualified, but someone else seems even more qualified. Jim wants to give the job to Paul, but he feels guilty, believing that he ought to be impartial. That’s the essence of morality, he initially tells himself. This belief is, however, rejected, as Jim resolves that friendship has a moral importance that permits, and perhaps even requires, partiality in some circumstances. So he gives the job to Paul. Was he right?

Call the police, tell my friend, not drink the water.

Call the cops; you don't know that the money in some of those accts doesn't go toward supporting another social entity that needs it just as much.
    Tell the friend; weddings are only a day long event; marriage is forever[[sort of)
    Drink the water; who knows what comes after?
    Hire the qualified candidate

GUSHI Guest

B, Tell my friend, probally drink the water, Would give the job to Paul, because I feel I know what i'm getting with Paul.

Do nothing; tell him; drink the water; give the job to Paul.

CAll the cops [[it isn't his/her money to decide where it should be spent)

Drink the water [[I love therefore I am)

Give the job to the best candidate. [[good for business, good for morality)

1. Shoot the damn bandit as he leaves the bank.
    2. Keep my trap shut. "It's not my business", as Paul Newman said in "Absence of Malice".
    3. As in Mexico, don't drink the water. Ponce DeLeon may have peeed in it.
    4. Paul would be my hire. Better to endure the evils of which we know than to fly off to those of which we know not. [[Or did someone else say that first?)

littlebuddy Guest

1. A, call the police. No matter how much they might need the money, it is not theirs.
    2. Tell, life is more than just a moment of happiness.
    3. Is self fulfillment eternally more important then giving you love to others. Unless you are made perfect[[not just eternally young), will your love fade or grow, will only one person fill you?
    4.If it was his company, then he could hire who he wanted and take the loss, but he has to look our for his company's interest first, not his friends.

Augustiner Guest

1. I wouldn't call the cops, because fuck banks. I don't even care what he does with the money.

2. Tell him, it'd be worse if he found out later.

3. Start an emo band and get rich off angsty 14-year-olds.

4. Strictly speaking, no, he's not right; in a perfect world, the best candidate should get the job regardless of who they're friends with. I don't think hiring Paul is an immoral thing to do, necessarily, but I think it's less moral than hiring the other guy.

1) Let the orphans have it. The government bailed out the banks but won't help some poor orphan kids?
    2) Tell him. I'd want to know.
    3) Don't drink. I really don't think I could take eternity with the same person nagging me [[not to mention having to be in a perpetual hamster wheel the rest of my days...work, home, bed, work, home, bed).
    4) Try them both out for a few weeks [[pay em minimum wage for the first few weeks) and then pick who fits in with the company the best. Qualifications mean nothing if that person is a [[I got edited here...so I'll try again) DB.

Make the orphans drink the water, take the money, hire a skywriter to tell about the affair and have Paul carry my suitcase to Belize.

Let the orphans have the money, it is insured by the FDIC.
    Tell my friend
    I have no desire to be immortal, not drink the water
    Not hire Paul, but more because hiring a friend is a bad idea.

Make the orphans drink the water, take the money, hire a skywriter to tell about the affair and have Paul carry my suitcase to Belize.

lmao... the skywriter is a great idea... for an outdoor ceremony!!