Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help create a collaborative map of neighborhoods real Detroiters value most!

Hello,

I am an urban planning student in Boston and I am hoping to tap the collective knowledge of real Detroiters to find out which neighborhoods they find most desirable.

If you live in the Detroit region, PLEASE help me out by taking 2 minutes to fill out this form: http://detroit.echodose.net/reports/submit

My project, "Detroit Desire Map," consists of a brief survey about where you live, what factors determine where you choose to live, and what other neighborhoods appeal to you. The end product will be a sort of "crowdsourced" map of the strongest neighborhoods which captures subjective realities beyond vacancy and demographics statistics.

The premise of my project is that any urban planning study of Detroit is meaningless without the input of real people--I can't do this without you! For more information on the project, see here: http://detroit.echodose.net/page/index/1

You can also contact me with any questions or comments at detroitdesiremap@gmail.com

Thank you!

My Norton security blocked my access to the web page behind the first link with the announcement that it is a "Malicious Web Site". Apparently it contains 9 "drive-by download" threats that are "Fake AV Redirect Requests"..

In the interest of fostering discussion, you can see responses submitted thus far here [[not many yet but I've just launched the site): http://detroit.echodose.net/main

Great idea! I filled it out. If we got 100,000 detroiters to do the same, this could be very valuable data for Bing's DWP.

Sorry about that, that's really odd. No one else I've shown the site to so far has had that problem but I will try to look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    My Norton security blocked my access to the web page behind the first link with the announcement that it is a "Malicious Web Site". Apparently it contains 9 "drive-by download" threats that are "Fake AV Redirect Requests"..

Quote Originally Posted by GSDStudent View Post
    Sorry about that, that's really odd. No one else I've shown the site to so far has had that problem but I will try to look into it!
    I am running Norton Internet Security with "Safe Web". Looking at the report, it appears that the drive-by download redirects are located on the "echodose.net" domain, not within your "detroit.echodose.net" subdomain. Regardless, my Norton security won't let me on the site.

No issues going to the site with my security. I filled it out as well. Interesting idea. Please post when the final tally is in.

One thing I noticed is that the neighborhoods are quite large chunks of land that aren't always similar. For instance, the area of the "Davison" neighborhood south of the Davison has a much more vibrant commercial scene than does the area north of the Davison. It is also much more densely populated. That being said, I would live in my area south of the Davison but I would not live in the area north of the Davison. I found that true of a few other neighborhoods I would consider living in. Perhaps when the data comes in, you could take some of the more popular neighborhoods and go into further demographic detail to find out more about the communities, walkability and school/neighborhood characteristics that make them desirable. That data would be very useful to potential homeowners and the community at large.