Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Prosecutors seek to stop rally outside Dearborn mosque by Florida pastor

Last edited by Vic01; April-19-11 at 05:31 AM.

Those folks are almost as creepy as the ones that haunt veteran funerals. Last I looked religious freedom was safe guarded here.All this hate mongering gives me a huge headache.

Buy American Guest

I don't understand the fuss. The hate mongers from the baptist church who stand outside the funerals of our brave men and women who are murdered in the Middle East won a court case and "free speech" was the outcome. Why is this any different? Could it be because Muslims are going to be affected? Americans are losing their rights because the government is giving all the freedoms to others.

People are burning our flag over there, in Mexico, in California, and no one seems to mind. Would we react the same if a bible was burned...I don't think so, yet the Muslims are killing others just over the prospect of someone burning the koran...This is really screwed up.
    Last edited by Buy American; April-19-11 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I don't understand the fuss. The hate mongers from the baptist church who stand outside the funerals of our brave men and women who are murdered in the Middle East won a court cast and "free speech" was the outcome. Why is this any different? Could it be because Muslims are going to be affected? Americans are losing their rights because the government is giving all the freedoms to others.
    as hateful as the Westboro Church jackasses are, they have never openly stated that they hope to incite violence, something Jones HAS stated. He has even said that he hoped his koran burning would lead to attacks on American troops - a comment that could easily be seen as treasonous. your last comment is just absurd tea-party BS

This clown, as well as those Baptists from Westborro church are nothing more than fractions of the American Taliban. The ironic thing is, aside from different religions, radical Christians & Muslims pretty much want to force the same restrictions onto the general population. They both come from the same right wing fringe and seek to limit our freedoms.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    as hateful as the Westboro Church jackasses are, they have never openly stated that they hope to incite violence, something Jones HAS stated. He has even said that he hoped his koran burning would lead to attacks on American troops - a comment that could easily be seen as treasonous. your last comment is just absurd tea-party BS
    Helen Thomas said substantially less than that and look what happened to her.

they hope to incite violence, something Jones HAS stated. He has even said that he hoped his koran burning would lead to attacks on American troops - a comment that could easily be seen as treasonous.
    If that is the case, his is yet another right wing terrorist who should be jailed immediately since he poses a threat to our national security.

lilpup Guest

Today's [[surprising?) Detroit News editorial: http://detnews.com/article/20110419/...-confrontation

Buy American Guest

Westboro Baptist Church knows that what they are doing will in fact incite violence one of these times. It's the same thing in my book. Mexicans are burning the flag in California, is that treasonous? In my book, yes it is.

Incidentally, I don't think Jones has actually stated that he hopes his burning the koran would lead to attacks on American troops...but just the mention of burning the koran has lead to violence from the Muslim people. It just shows you the mindset of some Middle Eastern people and how they feel violence is the only way to solve a problem.

Tea-party absurdity? Just the plain and simple truth!
    Last edited by Buy American; April-19-11 at 08:27 AM.

lilpup Guest

What's an appropriate response to this guy?

If all the imams, rabbis, and Christian clergy stuck together and [[far fetched idea) lit a Torah and Bible when Jones lit a Qur'an would that sufficiently undercut his message?

BBC did a follow up documentary about Westboro called America's Most Hated Family in Crisis. They are imploding internally. Most of these hate groups will do that these days, thankfully.

The hate these people teach their children should be criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Helen Thomas said substantially less than that and look what happened to her.
    Was she put in jail? Did prosecutors go after her? Did the government try to limit her right to free speech?

Your employer has the right to limit your speech. You have the right to tell your employer to "pound sand" by resigning.

Mexicans are burning the flag in California, is that treasonous? In my book, yes it is.

Not to mix this up - but flag-burning does not rise to treason! Please do not escalate free speech to that level - even in your book.

What's the difference between burning a flag and a quran?

Religous items should not get special preference under free speech laws just because its followers will commit murder in the name of their god to defend it.

Do we now charge everyone who desecrates a Bible, Crucific, statute of Jesus or Mary in the name of "art" with a hate crime and call them terrorists?

All religions are silly. I say we put them all in one big arena and let them fight it out.

In this guys defense, he is just burning some paper, not going out killing people in the name of religion.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Today's [[surprising?) Detroit News editorial: http://detnews.com/article/20110419/...-confrontation
    First line, third paragraph says it all:

"Clearly, he mostly is interested in gaining more publicity."

So funny how people stoop to buzzwords like right-wing, tea-party extremist, etc. There are people like this on the "right" AND people like this on the "left" Key is, people like this "Pastor" exploit whatever fringe they can find because ultimately the game for them is PUBLICITY.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Mexicans are burning the flag in California, is that treasonous? In my book, yes it is.

Not to mix this up - but flag-burning does not rise to treason! Please do not escalate free speech to that level - even in your book.
    In my book it does. You want to live in this country then you respect its' laws, and respect the flag. I am sick and tired of our children not being able to recite the Pledge of Alliegence in class because it may offend someone. I am really getting tired of one individual or one group dictating to the U.S. what it wants from our country when living in it. Christmas isn't what it once was. I heard recently that someone wants to take religion out of Easter because it may offend someone. This is too much for any true American to take in my book. I fly my flag, take my hat off when it goes by, burn it properly when it becomes tattered. I don't wipe my feet on it....that is treason to disrespect the American flag in America, period!

bartock Guest

Islandman said [QUOTE=Islandman;239765]BBC did a follow up documentary about Westboro called America's Most Hated Family in Crisis. They are imploding internally. Most of these hate groups will do that these days, thankfully.

The hate these people teach their children should be criminal.[/QUOTE]

Bravo! This is the real problem with that garbage.

bartock - what is hate? If I teach my children to hate Republicans does that make me a criminal?

Buy American - the difference is you sit on your but as opposed to allowing the flag burning to incite you to violence and retaliation. If people murdered, raped, and commited terrorist acts in defense of the flag, then maybe flag burning would ve classified as hate speech and in the same level of a quran burning. Thankfully, most Americans do not stoop to such a level as they understand what free speech is about. Here, the greasy wheel gets free speech limited because people are afriad of them.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    bartock - what is hate? If I teach my children to hate Republicans does that make me a criminal?

Buy American - the difference is you sit on your but as opposed to allowing the flag burning to incite you to violence and retaliation. If people murdered, raped, and commited terrorist acts in defense of the flag, then maybe flag burning would ve classified as hate speech and in the same level of a quran burning. Thankfully, most Americans do not stoop to such a level as they understand what free speech is about. Here, the greasy wheel gets free speech limited because people are afriad of them.
    "criminal" means senseless in that context; i.e., it's criminal to teach your children to hate Republicans.

Perhaps in an altruistic way I believe teaching children to hate others is deserving of punishment.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post

You lost me.

You want to live in this country then you respect its' laws, and respect the flag. I am sick and tired of our children not being able to recite the Pledge of Alliegence in class because it may offend someone. I am really getting tired of one individual or one group dictating to the U.S. what it wants from our country when living in it. Christmas isn't what it once was. I heard recently that someone wants to take religion out of Easter because it may offend someone.
    For the sake of conversation, lets say I'm an athiest. Given that, maybe I'm sick of having your religious values stuffed down my throat every Christmas and Easter. I'm an American citizen. I have rights too. Right?

I think Jones has the right to burn the Quran outside of a mosque in Dearborn if he likes. He should also have the right for the cops to turn their heads if he gets his a$$ kicked for doing it. He's a prick and just out to try to offend others. Him and those idiots from the Westborro Church. Keep poking a dog with a stick long enough and he's going to bite you. And if he does, you had it coming.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    For the sake of conversation, lets say I'm an athiest. Given that, maybe I'm sick of having your religious values stuffed down my throat every Christmas and Easter. I'm an American citizen. I have rights too. Right?

I think Jones has the right to burn the Quran outside of a mosque in Dearborn if he likes. He should also have the right for the cops to turn their heads if he gets his a$$ kicked for doing it. He's a prick and just out to try to offend others. Him and those idiots from the Westborro Church. Keep poking a dog with a stick long enough and he's going to bite you. And if he does, you had it coming..
    If you are an athiest and don't wish to participate in any religious activities in school then leave the class if a prayer is being said or sit while the class is standing and saying the Pledge. One person should not dictate what the majority wants. I attended a school Christmas play put on by a bunch of 1st graders. There was not one religious song in the entire play...why...because the school didn't want to offend anyone. If you don't believe in Christmas or Easter, then don't attend a Christmas play that may have a religious song in it. It is my opinion that the U.S. is giving the majority of its' values away. Tradition is going by the wayside because a "few" individuals may be offended. If people don't like the way things are done here, they have the right to leave and practice their beliefs elsewhere.

Jones does have that right, as does the idiots who picket the funerals of our fallen military, it doesn't make it right though. One of them will push their luck one of these days

Vox Guest

If you are an athiest and don't wish to participate in any religious activities in school then leave the class if a prayer is being said or sit while the class is standing and saying the Pledge. One person should not dictate what the majority wants. I attended a school Christmas play put on by a bunch of 1st graders. There was not one religious song in the entire play...why...because the school didn't want to offend anyone. If you don't believe in Christmas or Easter, then don't attend a Christmas play that may have a religious song in it. It is my opinion that the U.S. is giving the majority of its' values away. Tradition is going by the wayside because a "few" individuals may be offended. If people don't like the way things are done here, they have the right to leave and practice their beliefs elsewhere.

Jones does have that right, as does the idiots who picket the funerals of our fallen military, it doesn't make it right though. One of them will push their luck one of these days
    I'm offended by people that think that others don't have the right to worship freely in this country. Remember fredom of religion? Good. Nobody, regardless of majority, gets to dictate a state religion.

The lack of people attending christian churches is a moral problem, not a political one. Those that make it part of the political equasion contribute power to the idiots like that Koran burning misanthrope. "oh poor me, my religion is down because of other religions". That's too funny.

Taking pains to not offend is a right and proper form of respecting the separation of church and state. That is why there are secular, and parochial schools. And, I may add, churches. You want to sing religious songs, go to church. Get a religious education, go to a parochial school, or religious education after school. Why anyone would expect that others should kowtow to one religion is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I'm offended by people that think that others don't have the right to worship freely in this country. Remember fredom of religion? Good. Nobody, regardless of majority, gets to dictate a state religion.

The lack of people attending christian churches is a moral problem, not a political one. Those that make it part of the political equasion contribute power to the idiots like that Koran burning misanthrope. "oh poor me, my religion is down because of other religions". That's too funny.

Taking pains to not offend is a right and proper form of respecting the separation of church and state. That is why there are secular, and parochial schools. And, I may add, churches. You want to sing religious songs, go to church. Get a religious education, go to a parochial school, or religious education after school. Why anyone would expect that others should kowtow to one religion is beyond me.
    I totally agree, Vox. This country was founded so the state couldn't torture and execute persons for their beliefs. Even though the Puritans who came here were probably more rigid than the State they were running away from, they helped to create the precept of separation of church and state. Rhode Island was founded specifically for people not adhering to any one religion to have a haven. We have also had an open door policy to allow religiously persecuted people into this country; wouldn't it be rather ironic to persecute them once they got here?
    Ring a bell anyone?
    "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast