Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Laundromats in the city

Can anyone recommend a good laundromat in Detroit or Hamtramck? Had my laptop ripped off from Coin Laundry on Jos Campau, and I'm looking for somewhere else to wash clothes. Thanks!
    Last edited by Evelyn; April-18-11 at 02:31 PM. Reason: because I'm a terrible speller.

Uhh, errrm, well.... nevermind....

Really? There's only one laundromat in the whole city? Bummer.

No, many laundromats. But I think the other questio, in my mind at least, is whether there is any other laundromat from which your laptop would not be stolen. I am assuming that you put it down, that it wasn't ripped from your hands?

Nothing is safe...laptops are stolen from everywhere. I won't even take my laptop to work anymore...I learned my lesson after the 2nd stolen laptop.

Yeah, there are no laundromats anywhere that I would feel comfortable bringing my laptop. Better to bring a book instead.

I like Courtesy Cleaners, 9 mile & Livernois..

Yes, it was foolish to bring a laptop into a laundromat. Still doesn't give someone the right to steal. And I've had a few friends had their laptops stolen from their apartments in Detroit and Hamtramck.

I moved back into the area recently, and I was more wondering what other choices there were aside from Coin Laundry.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I like Courtesy Cleaners, 9 mile & Livernois..

Now hold on a minute. 9 Mile and Livernois is Ferndale, not Detroit.
    We all know how Ferndale is taking advantage of the poor Detroiters by opening grocery stores [[the horror!) - as a resident of Ferndale, I don't want even more accusations of how Ferndale is stealing Detroit's dirty clothes or other "precious jewels".

Do they have any of those Laundromat/Taverns in Detroit? Those were getting popular for a while. You could sit on one side of a window and watch your stuff on the other side, have a beer or cup of coffee and socialize a little. Maybe it was more of a college town thing.

I know there's a laundromat on Michigan Ave but I've never been in it.

There's one on Southfield/Warren Ave. I believe it is called "Discount Laundromat"

Or use a washboard and your sink. Save $ and you won't have your laptop stolen..

I've haven't been in there yet but I've heard good things about Lupita on vernor near w grand blvd. It looks pretty clean and inviting from the street

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    We all know how Ferndale is taking advantage of the poor Detroiters by opening grocery stores [[the horror!) - as a resident of Ferndale, I don't want even more accusations of how Ferndale is stealing Detroit's dirty clothes or other "precious jewels".
    Just what is your deal?

Look, Ferndale isn't opening grocery stores. Grocery stores are opening in Ferndale. And they are making a profit from Detroiters' dollars.

And for those of us who live in Detroit, a lot of us feel one of the best ways to try to bring things back is to keep out dollars in the city since they've been pouring out for the past 60 years. I don't see how Detroit can turn around if everyone chooses to live and spend their money in the suburbs. Do you? Please explain to me why a Detroiter should not make a point to spend money in Detroit. Detroit businesses don't need patronage? You got a problem with that or something?
    Last edited by DetroitPole; April-21-11 at 10:54 PM.

I rarely take my main Apple laptop anywhere. Laptops are ABSOLUTE thief magnets!! If I must take a laptop out I use my cheapy one which is a back-up junker with very little sensitive on it as I only use it for Intranet stuff and I'm extremely, EXTREMELY CAREFUL! I just do without computers in most public settings... though I may pop on my Ipod discretely if in a WIFI hot spot.

I used to use a place up on West Grand Blvd. and 14th but it rough and not the safest parking lot.

Indeed there is a big shortage of them in the city. Some are so grim you'd not want to pull up into the parking lot, no less go in. I use the University Laundry up on Livernois near U of D. They are clean and it's a safe friendly environment. I think they advertise on local tv from time to time.

Otherwise I really like Courtesy Cleaners on 9 mile in Ferndale which is a laundry mat and dry cleaner combo. Great place!

They have a bench out in front to sit. Very few vagrants. You can pick up your dry cleaning up to 9:00 PM. And they have 20lb super wash front loaders for only $2.00!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Nothing is safe...laptops are stolen from everywhere. I won't even take my laptop to work anymore...I learned my lesson after the 2nd stolen laptop.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-21-11 at 11:04 PM.

LOL! I hear that... I've long, LONG given up on any idea of commerce being 'pure Detroit' exclusively. I do both - city and 'burbs. I shop and do commerce in the city where and when I can [[when the amenity, dining or service is available), AND I go elsewhere too. Particularly the outer-ring suburbs such as Ferndale, Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Royal Oak, Southfield and Dearborn...

But there're some niche stores/ businesses I try to deal with exclusive to Detroit, like this Shoe Repair joint in Highland Park on Woodward [[can't recall name) and a wonderful leather repair store on Livernois called House of Morris, the Fish House on Woodward just south of Highland Park... Kim's Produce on Woodward near WSU... etc. Some Detroit shops/ businesses I've used for decades faithfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-22-11 at 11:41 AM.

There is a decent coin laundry, Harbortown Laundromat, on Mt. Elliot just north of East Jefferson, and they have longer hours than most.

Just what is your deal?

He was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    I've haven't been in there yet but I've heard good things about Lupita on vernor near w grand blvd. It looks pretty clean and inviting from the street
    Lupita is my laundromat. Clean, mostly quiet, and more importantly, right across the street from a year round taco truck.

Yummy, I've got to try that one out. I've driven by there....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Lupita is my laundromat. Clean, mostly quiet, and more importantly, right across the street from a year round taco truck.

I lived in Corktown for ten years, '91 thru '01. On occasion, I would do clothes at the corner of Trumbull and Grand River. I also did clothes a few times on Michigan near Livernois. But most of the time I went out to Royal Oak, Dearborn, or St. Clair Shores to wash clothes. I would combine clothes with going to the gym, shopping, and/or happy hour.

I once did clothes on W. Vernor near Mexican Town. I walked outside to my car and moments later a nice Gore-tex coat of mine was gone. It's not easy living around poor people. Or should I qualify that by saying people with a poor sense of ethics and social culture?

Lupita on Vernor is awesome - super clean and feels safe and the taco truck is a huge plus. However, it's not a cheap place and well, I'm cheap. So I usually do my laundry at the 24 hour Coin-o-Matic in Highland Park, can't beat $1 wash machines. The place is huge and never busy in the evening and as a female, nobody bothers me much. I feel relatively safe. There is a cheap place on Michigan Avenue near 1-75 also but the attendants let people smoke in there & the place is always so damn busy - tons of bratty kids running around with no parental supervision. Avoid the Spin Cycle on W Grand Blvd - it's a clean place by appearances but my clothing never smells clean when I've done laundry there.

Damn, I wish I had a washer/dryer hook-up in my loft, I'm sooo tired of laundromats.

There's a good one on Livernois and 6 mile across from UofD many college students use it and at one time it was pretty good. I haven't use it in a while so it still might be. BTW maybe that lo-jack product for laptops might be a good investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast