Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DetroitPole Guest

Default Detroit Prayer Walk draws thousands downtown

http://www.freep.com/article/2011041...-can-help-city

I don't really understand the point of this.

In my humble opinion, I believe the good people in this city who are mindful of the needs of others, whatever their faith or disbelief, are the ones going to turn around the city. Just hoping Jesus is going to fix things isn't going to help.

It sounds mostly like they're gearing up to proselytize.

The only part I think is useful is this:
    "They will also provide medical mobile clinics and distribute thousands of meals to the needy, among other efforts. "
    but I'd guess they'll be preaching at the recipients of their charity.

Detroit has also got to be one of the most Christian cities in the WORLD given the high church attendance rates of African Americans, and then the Hispanic Catholics in SW Detroit as well. So I'm not sure how much more Jesus we can cram in here.

Interestingly, we had a cleanup on the eastside on that same day. It would have been nice if some of those people would have joined us to get their hands dirty and really help the city. I think it helped more than their Jesus rally. They would probably be upset that there were nonbelievers and Catholics there helping to clean up the city. I'm guessing they won't be doing stuff like helping the neighborhoods where we really need help.

Oh well. Happy Passover!

Yeah, that's why I never understood the logic of people who call Detroit or Michigan liberal.

Other than the labor movement Michigan and Detroit makes many southern states look liberal.

They are going to try to levitate Cobo Arena 500 feet into the air.

I was in the prayer walk yesterday. The count for attendees at the rally was placed conservatively at 25,000+. Over 500 community churches came out in the cold and rainy weather to pray for and commit their time and effort to restore the people of Metro Detroit.

This is the largest coordinated inter-denominational effort to work together and help unify the region and tell the good news of Jesus Christ.

The prayer walk wasn't the end of it, only the beginning. Through E.A.C.H.- Everyone A Chance to Hear, [[www.eachtoday.com), we are working towards a goal One Million Hours of volunteering in Metro Detroit. Everything from several food campaigns, neighborhood prayer, adopt-a-neighborhood, helping the homeless, mowing, painting, garbage pick up, prayer and counseling, etc.

I believe that Detroit will be restored through the prayer and hard work of all of its citizens. Here is a Bible verse that I feel applies to Detroit, [[God speaking):

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 [[New International Version, ©2011)
    13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

P.S. For those who believe the statue near the Coleman Young City-County Building is named, “The Spirit of Detroit”, this is the Bible verse on the curved marble behind the statue:

2 Corinthians 3:17 [[New International Version, ©2011)
    17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Well, we see where the efforts of man have gotten Detroit. On one hand, I don't understand why people object to the prayer walk but, unfortunately, the Bible says that people will despise Christians.

I love the jumping-Jesus crowd. Singing, head-wagging, shouting, clasping hands and screaming to their god Bejeezus. Much better than doing any actual works to get involved in a massive, passive fashion and flair contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I love the jumping-Jesus crowd. Singing, head-wagging, shouting, clasping hands and screaming to their god Bejeezus. Much better than doing any actual works to get involved in a massive, passive fashion and flair contest.
    Such a sweetheart of you to ignore what Warrenite84 posted. But why are you posting here? Shouldn't you be out DOING something instead of engaging in this passive, word-wagging smart remark contest?

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    Such a sweetheart of you to ignore what Warrenite84 posted. But why are you posting here? Shouldn't you be out DOING something instead of engaging in this passive, word-wagging smart remark contest?
    Sure, I do things every day. But I never fool myself that my wishful thinking accomplishes anything.

How is this a bad thing?

Sure, I do things every day. But I never fool myself that my wishful thinking accomplishes anything.
    I see no point in debating the color of the sunrise with a blind man.

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    I see no point in debating the color of the sunrise with a blind man.
    Oh, yeah. Walk by faith, not by sight. Good luck with that.

Vox Guest

I really have to remember that. Thanks for sharing.

It would mean a hell of a lot more if this inter-denominational effort included other faiths besides christianity. I applaud their efforts, but come on, muslims, jews, atheists, etc. can do the same things they're doing. Even though they think they're "breaking down barriers" or whatever by including all of these christian churches, it's really creating more of a divide between christians and other religious/non-religious people. They're kind of implying only christians and jesus can save detroit.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    I was in the prayer walk yesterday. The count for attendees at the rally was placed conservatively at 25,000+. Over 500 community churches came out in the cold and rainy weather to pray for and commit their time and effort to restore the people of Metro Detroit.

This is the largest coordinated inter-denominational effort to work together and help unify the region and tell the good news of Jesus Christ.

The prayer walk wasn't the end of it, only the beginning. Through E.A.C.H.- Everyone A Chance to Hear, [[www.eachtoday.com), we are working towards a goal One Million Hours of volunteering in Metro Detroit. Everything from several food campaigns, neighborhood prayer, adopt-a-neighborhood, helping the homeless, mowing, painting, garbage pick up, prayer and counseling, etc.

I believe that Detroit will be restored through the prayer and hard work of all of its citizens. Here is a Bible verse that I feel applies to Detroit, [[God speaking):

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 [[New International Version, ©2011)
    13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

P.S. For those who believe the statue near the Coleman Young City-County Building is named, “The Spirit of Detroit”, this is the Bible verse on the curved marble behind the statue:

2 Corinthians 3:17 [[New International Version, ©2011)
    17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
    All sounds well and good, but a look at the overview section indicates nothing but proselytizing. In fact, the entire website appears just to offer ways to convert people.

http://eachtoday.com/home/who/each-overview/

Also, this is clearly not interfaith. This almost exclusively evangelical Christianity. I refer you to the "participating churches" section.

My issue is not with Christianity - I am a Christian, a Roman Catholic. This appears to be nothing more than an effort to convert people to evangelical Christianity, in a thinly-veiled guise of helping the city/region/people/whatever. Sorry, too inquisition-like for me. I would not want a someone trying to convert me to their religion or non-religion. I find solace in my belief system, and respect the beliefs of others that are different than mine.

Also, once again, I don't really get it from a practical sense. The city and the region is overwhelmingly Christian. As for the places that are not overwhelmingly Christian, such as Dearborn or Hamtramck, I think they are perfectly fine people as well. They have never done anything to me. So are we trying to be more Christian? Have less non-Christians? My best neighbor is non-religious, and my girlfriend is Jewish. I like them both the way they are.

In my opinion the best thing that could have come from that rally, march, whatever, is that those people probably got hungry and patronized local businesses. Now that kind of thing helps the city.

Hah! Perhaps liberal could mean 'tolerance' to allow those who choose to engage in such an acitivity to do so? Tolerance will be demanded and obliged to other groups and events that will occur in the city and downtown over the upcoming spring and summer....
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, that's why I never understood the logic of people who call Detroit or Michigan liberal.

Other than the labor movement Michigan and Detroit makes many southern states look liberal.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-17-11 at 10:21 PM.

DetroitPole, I'm kind of surprised that as a Roman Catholic you would not welcome the idea of more people hearing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. While many people generally group themselves as, "Christian", many do not know the first or last books of the Bible or could name all of Jesus' disciples. While the primary desire of the outreach is to go out into the neighborhoods and share how God has changed our lives, it is also to assist others with their tangible needs of food, clothing, shelter, home repair, etc.

With so many people in Metro Detroit without jobs, the needs are great. Many people feel they are all alone in their circumstances. It is our desire to offer hope and help to all who need it. We have no interest in being pushy, just to share our testimony, answer any questions they may have and hopefully rebuild our communities.

I find this harmless, brings some business downtown and may engage some people in the plight of the poor who have been abandoned in the City of Detroit.

As the son of preacher man allow me remind those who pray in public of some "What would Jesus do" gospel about praying in public. Not saying that is bad; just saying prayers are better heard after work instead of before.

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
    6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
    7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
    8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

On the morning of the Nain Rouge Parade, while Cass Park was still quiet, I encountered the scene below. What appeared to be a father and mother with five kids had set up just north of the Park on Second. They had brought a large supply of spaghetti and meat balls with vegetables, bread and beverages. They were handing them out to whomever came to get some. And, trust me, those who were accepting the food really looked like then needed it.

There was no fanfare, signs, or pamphlets. I did overhear the woman offer kind of talk of' god's love' but mainly she was shoveling spaghetti. No disrespect on anyone, but this this is my idea of praying in public.

Also from Matthew 6...

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others....

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
    4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

This is a great thing. Any peaceful event that brings foot traffic downtown is a positive for the city.

As for its inclusiveness or lack thereof, I don't get why those of other faiths can't do something similar. It doesn't seem to have been an ecumenical event.

Lowell - those pictures were inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Good job on you Lowell for reconciling both points of view.

Indeed. I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Good job on you Lowell for reconciling both points of view.

Thank you Lowell.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast