Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default any way to get into the Fox Theater tomorrow [[Sun.)?

I have a friend who's visiting from halfway around the planet and wants to see some of Detroit tomorrow. I can show her around a bit, but to my mind the most remarkable building in the city is the Fox Theater. I realize the tours are only scheduled on weekdays, but I know some of the historic buildings folks hang out here and just wondered whether there was any way to get in. If there's a premium to be paid, I can pay it [[within reason). Thanks for any consideration! If it can't be done, it can't be done.

If you can't make it there take her to the Guardian Building. While not as outwardly ostentatious and ornate as the Fox, it boasts an impressive and detailed display of architecture & design.

I can honestly say NO to getting into fhe Fox Theatre for any kind of visit on the weekend. I've taken busload of German and Hungarian "cultural exchange" visitors on tours of Detroit... if it's not Monday thru Friday... you can forget about getting into the Fox Theatre.... unless you're going to a concert.

They only allow special tours during the work week....

Thanks for the info. I am planning on the Guardian. Anyone else reading who's susceptible to a bribe, let me know!

Just go down there, hang out taking pics of the exterior, when you see someone with access chat them up, explain your situation and ask if $40 could get a quick private tour. I would take Gistoks post as a challenge.Whats the worst that could happen?

OK... I'll make it easier for that challenge... to the right of the main entrance is the utility entrance to the Fox [[it looks almost like a storefront). This is where tour groups enter. There will be a guard at that spot with a metal detector to walk thru.

Getting the guard to let you past him is the 1st challenge.... the 2nd challenge is finding someone who knows where the lobby and auditorium light switches are... because they're certainly not by the guards desk.... and he doesn't know their whereabouts.

The Guardian Building isn't usually an issue. They have trained people at the front desk to let you stand in the lobby in awe. I've taken people there at 11:00 at night and they've been more than friendly and courteous to me. The only time I saw them get a little ruffled is when a few tourists tried to hop onboard one of the elevators and go up a few floors. It really wasn't an issue since the car couldn't go up without the guards' pass but the guard had to go shuffle them out of there for going beyond the stated area.

Now if you wanted to, I'm just wondering if you could contact the Fox well in advance and see if they have a guard or someone to stick around to let you guys in but I don't see how they would or could if it isn't in their usual routine to do so.

I agree the Fox should be seen by visitors but I also understand the manpower it'd take to just keep the area open as a tourist destination.

Jeez, you people should come out to my home town of Las Vegas. All our buildings are open 24/7 and you're more than welcome!

[[Insert a touch of sarcasm up above.)

my home town

Ray, I thought your home town is Detroit? Def 1
    you moved to Vegas. Def 2

HOMETOWN
    : the city or town where one was born or grew up; also : the place of one's principal residence