Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help Me List All of the Off-The-Beaten-Path Bars and Restaurants in Detroit

Okay, I've been trying to find new places to go lately, and because I'm usually lazy or tight on time, I stick to the usual areas like downtown/Midtown/Corktown, but know I am missing A TON of great places and experiences. The problem is, I don't know where to go. Note: These places do not have to be best places you've ever been to, just completely off-the-beaten path, i.e. the kinds of places you might see covered by DetroitBlog.org.

GO!

Black Horse Saloon in Delray.

Two Way Inn on Nevada at Mt. Elliott - bar

Abick's Daniel, west of Livernois - bar

Tom's Tavern on Seven Mile - bar

Awesome.

Is Kovacs in Delray still open?

Charlie's Bar on Springswells.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Awesome.

Is Kovacs in Delray still open?
    Kovacs is still open, as far as I know.

If you have not been to Ye Old Tap Room on the far east side, you must go. There are a number of bars on Warren in the EEV that I've never been to but look interesting and have been mentioned here by others.

Near you downtown would be Mac's on 3rd, if you have not been there already.

and, one of the more unique hole-in-the-wall joints you'll ever see [[if it is still open) is Tom's Tavern, near U of D High School.

Tom's Tavern was always on Seven Mile a little west of Wyoming. I thought it had folded when Tom passed away years ago, but maybe no? That place had a great jukebox, a crazy concrete floor that I heard was poured by drunken staff and customers, and really interesting iron protection bars on the rear windows of the men's room. Anybody remember those? I just did a web search and the place still seems to be kicking. Clearly, it's time for a beer.

On the restaurant [[not bar) end of things, since I usually have minor kids in tow, we love George's Famous Coney on Michigan Ave. just west of Livernois near the old Senate Theater.

Try Donovan's on Michigan Ave.

The Cadieux Cafe is a must not only for beer but mussels and feather bowling, the only place in the US

Janet's Lunch on Kercheval two blocks out of Detroit.

Though not off the beaten path. Cutter's in EM after 2:00 am is great fun. Totally different place from 2:00 am till 5:00 am. Steak bites, drinks, and great people.

Vince's on Springwells [[before you get to Charlie's Bar) Roman Village on Dix where
    Vernor/Dix merge El Barzon on Junction just s. of Michigan Ave Great burgers and
    hot dogs at Casey's Bar on Michigan Ave - if you get tired of waiting for that table at Slow's.
    Cheap drinks at the Gaelic League & the Maltese Club [[only open Thurs- Sun)

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Kovacs is still open, as far as I know.

If you have not been to Ye Old Tap Room on the far east side, you must go. There are a number of bars on Warren in the EEV that I've never been to but look interesting and have been mentioned here by others.

Near you downtown would be Mac's on 3rd, if you have not been there already.

and, one of the more unique hole-in-the-wall joints you'll ever see [[if it is still open) is Tom's Tavern, near U of D High School.
    I thought Kovacs had closed. Tom's Tavern, on the other hand, is very much still open.

Some eastside bars include High Noon Saloon on Warren Ave. and Nikki's Place on Harper. Both are, let's be frank, kind of trashy, but friendly.

Bogartz Sports & Music Cafe on the Detroit side of Mack and Neff I have not been to but I hear good things.

I'll take places like this over the new bland trendy yuppie shit any day.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    The Cadieux Cafe is a must not only for beer but mussels and feather bowling, the only place in the US
    Two other places, actually, but they aren't worth going to.

Jacoby's is kinda squirreled away. It's downtown but not really on any major thoroughfares.

If your trying to get a flavor of Metro Detroit as a whole, the Oak in Wyandotte is worth the trip...

Well over 200 bottled beers, lots on tap, and pierogi!

Just outside the city proper, but try Yemen Cafe on Jos Campau between Hamtramck Drive and Holbrook. Also a vote here for Caper's on Gratiot.

Love Caper's, steak by the ounce!

Jumbos
    The Comet
    I like Jacobys too, especially for Sunday brunch with eggs Benedict and mimosas
    The Raven is a must.
    I hear great things about Nancy Whiskeys.
    Temple Bar.

Glad you started this thread because Ive been looking for something different from my usuals.

Some eastside bars include High Noon Saloon on Warren Ave. and Nikki's Place on Harper. Both are, let's be frank, kind of trashy, but friendly.

High Noon Saloon trashy? You have to be buzzed in via a video camera to get in.

High Noon sounds fun.

I am a big fan of Clyde's East Bar at Mack and Maryland. Great fun on Mondays during the open mic band and on the weekends or after sail boat races in the summer.

Be sure to get some of Clyde's tacos while you are there they are top notch and served until 2.

Marshall's and Texas Bar are also some great east side dives. Both cash only.

Late Monday nights after 11, exodus in Greektown opens its doors for open mic jazz/blues. Great place to chill or take a date.