Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beth Olem Cemetery

does anyone know if beth olem cemetery will be open this weekend or what number to call to find out?

Between Smith and Clay Streets
    Hamtramck
    Wayne County
    Michigan USA
    Phone: 248-549-3411

Cemetery notes and/or description:
    Located on the grounds of the GM Cadillac Plant visitation with permission only. The Beth Olem Cemetery is open only twice a year to the public; on the Sundays before Rosh Hashannah and Passover.

My girlfriend and I went out there today with hopes of taking a few photos. We drove around the entire plant unsure of how to gain entrance. We finally saw the main entrance [[duh!) and drove in. At the guard shack, they had us sign in and then we followed another guard in his car. The bad thing is, we got there at 11:50 a.m. and they close at noon. We poked around for a few minutes and talked to a member of the Jewish Genealogy Society or some such [[sorry, forgot his name already). The next "open house" will be September 25, 10a-12p. Hope the weather is warmer by then!

Just a heads-up, Beth Olem will be open this Sunday, Sep 25. I plan on being there promptly at 10 a.m. with camera in hand. Any curiousity seekers, please come join us.

Yak, I have a question as to why the headstones are so close together in Jewish cemeteries. I was told it was because the folks are buried standing up, but I never considered that a reasonable - or plausible - explanation.

Sorry about being so uninformed, but if one doesn't know, he should ask.

I also was told it is because they are buried standing up. Maybe Jjaba could check in and give this some confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Yak, I have a question as to why the headstones are so close together in Jewish cemeteries. I was told it was because the folks are buried standing up, but I never considered that a reasonable - or plausible - explanation.

Sorry about being so uninformed, but if one doesn't know, he should ask.
    Jews are normally interred in just a wooden coffin [[Or with no coffin whatsoever), no elaborate coffins or concrete outer caskets. That may explain why the graves can be placed so closely together.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-20-11 at 08:17 AM.

I've heard the same about the wooden coffins.
    I've also heard that the bodies are layered. If you've ever seen Bnia-David cemetery [[I believe that's the name) on Van Dyke, the ground level is raised up a good 6 feet and surrounded by a wall.

Jews are not buried standing up and in some places families can be buried together in the ground. Christian cemeteries in New Orleans have done the same thing.

This web site has a good explanation of Jewish Burial customs even though the Burial Society is in Long Island.

http://jewish-funeral-home.com/Jewis...l-customs.html

Many times in reform Judism regular caskets are used.

Beth Olem and Beth David or B'nai David are compact, but there would be no need to bury vertically.

Beth Olem...

Beth David...
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1177453667 <- This link has several pictures including this one.

Thanks for the info, but the question on the close quarters remains a bit vague.

Nothing fancy for me,a plain wood box.And no standing,who starts these stories?

Thanks for the info, but the question on the close quarters remains a bit vague.
    The article below states that the cemetery in Prague was limited in size because they were descriminated against. I'm wondering if this type of cemetery [[crowded) didn't become a kind of tradition among Jews?

http://www.travelgrove.com/travel-ti...tery-1791.html

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    ... no standing,who starts these stories?
    Lucky, the guy who told me this was one of the Brode sons, scion to the Broder Clothing company. It is not that interesting of a story, but since you asked ... The bride and I are having brunch at Zola's in AnnArbor and we strike up a conversation with the couple at the next table. Turns out I know a little about the company and it's history in Detroit and we have one of those circuitous conversations that covers Detroit history and how historic events impact the present.

One conversational path was the mmovement of Jewish folks north-northwest and out to Oakland County. He was a Mumford grad and had a lot of personal insight on the migration... Including being in Temple Beth El in Southfield when the Rabbi was taken hostage and shot in front of the congragation ... eventually confab thread lead to my query about "close quarters".

That was when he told me the "standing " thing. I scoffed at that notion but he insisted it was true while smirking the whole time. I felt then that he was just pulling my leg, but without the ability to prove him a prevaricator I moved the conversation on to the Lions or Tigers or something.

See, Lucky, I warned you it wasn't that interesting.

Am bumping this. If people are still allowed into Beth Olem it
    should be this Palm Sunday April 13, 2014.

The spring opening this year is tomorrow, April 27, 2014, from 10am - 1pm.

I had to email Clover Hill to find out the date, as it wasn't put on the Clover Hill online calender. At least for the past several years, the spring opening has been only weather dependent, not the "traditional" Sunday before Passover.

Lucky, the guy who told me this was one of the Brode sons, scion to the Broder Clothing company. It is not that interesting of a story, but since you asked ... The bride and I are having brunch at Zola's in AnnArbor and we strike up a conversation with the couple at the next table. Turns out I know a little about the company and it's history in Detroit and we have one of those circuitous conversations that covers Detroit history and how historic events impact the present.

One conversational path was the mmovement of Jewish folks north-northwest and out to Oakland County. He was a Mumford grad and had a lot of personal insight on the migration... Including being in Temple Beth El in Southfield when the Rabbi was taken hostage and shot in front of the congragation ... eventually confab thread lead to my query about "close quarters".

That was when he told me the "standing " thing. I scoffed at that notion but he insisted it was true while smirking the whole time. I felt then that he was just pulling my leg, but without the ability to prove him a prevaricator I moved the conversation on to the Lions or Tigers or something.

See, Lucky, I warned you it wasn't that interesting.
    That Rabbi wasn't shot at Temple Beth El. It was at a different synagogue.

I just now checked the Clover Hill Park Cemetery website. These are the guardians
    for Betholem Cemetery. Their calendar shows that Betholem will be open 2014-09-21,
    ie. next Sunday, September 21, from 10 am until 1 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That Rabbi wasn't shot at Temple Beth El. It was at a different synagogue.
    It was at Shaarey Zedek in 1966. Rabbi Adler shot during services by a psychotic congregant.

The September 21 date for the opening of the cemetery is the closest weekend day before Rosh Hashanah, which begins on the evening of the 24th.

From Model D Media:
    A peek inside Beth Olem, the cemetery that was swallowed by a GM plant

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...GM-092314.aspx

Bumping this "ancient" thread as a reminder to everyone that Beth Olem will be open tomorrow from 10 until 1.

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    Bumping this "ancient" thread as a reminder to everyone that Beth Olem will be open tomorrow from 10 until 1.
    2017 - I assume Passover access is April 9th 10A to 1PM?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    2017 - I assume Passover access is April 9th 10A to 1PM?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
    Like the past years, they aren't going to be able to open so early because of the poor conditions. It gets swampy in there, and they can't get in to take care of the grass first when it's a lake [[plus it's slightly unpleasant to wade through the mud and water, which I imagine becomes nearly impossible for the elderly visitors).

I was told to email again in a week or two to find out what date they've decided on - May 7th or 14th possibly, according to the office assistant.

I'll update the thread when I do hear for sure on the date.

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    Like the past years, they aren't going to be able to open so early because of the poor conditions. It gets swampy in there, and they can't get in to take care of the grass first when it's a lake [[plus it's slightly unpleasant to wade through the mud and water, which I imagine becomes nearly impossible for the elderly visitors).

I was told to email again in a week or two to find out what date they've decided on - May 7th or 14th possibly, according to the office assistant.

I'll update the thread when I do hear for sure on the date.
    Thanks, so much, Courtney! We are planning a bike ride from Royal Oak, so it will be good to know.

They've set the date for Beth Olem for May 7, 10am-1pm.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast