Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    The depression of 1921 was a cakewalk though. Troops returning from WWI, re-tooling in manufacturing and bam, we were back in business.

On another note, I don't think the recession is over by a long shot. I hope I'm wrong.
    So, are you suggesting that If President Obama brought our troops home from Europe, Asia, and the mid-east, we would be "bam, back in business"? I'm all for it.

No, I'm saying that was in part, the cause of that depression. When all the troops came home, obviously unemployment went up. Manufacturing was geared towards the war effort and the lag in time while it switched back to peace time manufacturing didn't help. But it was a pretty fast transition and I think part of that was because during the war, many advancements were made in mass manufacturing.

As far as bringing all the troops home today, I'm all for that. Talk about trimming the deficit. That would change the game so much I doubt we'd have to worry about the unemployment rate going up temporarily.
    I read today that something like 80% - 90% of all the people in Afghanistan have never even heard of 9/11 and don't really even know why we're there.

The issuance of US Treasuries = the printing of money. China is no longer the largest purchaser of the Obama national debt. Japan might have other things to spend money on. The largest owner of the Obama national debt is [[drum rolls please) the privately owned Federal Reserve whose powers Obama expanded. Wow, and just the nick of time. The fed issues the treasuries and then sells them. Doing so costs the Fed almost nothing but the Fed's owner banks get to charge interest on their newly printed treasuries. Printing money is so much better than laundering money. The only major expense is financing the political campaigns of Federal Reserve supporters. This is, of course, so much better than the possible Obama plan B to nationalize 401k's to collateralize Obama spending and protect retirees from unwisely spending their own money.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40682653/Chin..._US_Treasuries

I'm saying this guy is all about speeches and very little aggressive, persistent, continued action.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; April-20-11 at 11:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2