'Rapid Growth,' a West Michigan zine that's part of the metromode empire, reports here today on a Detroit tour by 52 Grand Rapids visitors.

The goal was "breaking down these false walls that keep us apart and looking for ways that we can partner on projects to change the face and reality of our state," one organizer says. "Since we are the two largest metroplexes in the state, it was a no-brainer."

Other voices:
I wanted people to come away with a new-found appreciation for Detroit and its struggles and successes. And to not only make some connections with peers there, but also to make new connections with peers here in Grand Rapids, to share ideas and possibly collaborate on future projects. And to find inspiration in projects going on in Detroit and try new things here.

We also are working with one of the attendees on a speaker series event that will bring Detroit entrepreneurs and urban pioneers on stage in Grand Rapids with their peers working over here.
- - -
After the trip I felt energized, seeing the look on the faces of everyone throughout the day as they "got it" was amazing! I also felt that this trip opened up not only the eyes but the brain power of others to a new way of thinking.