Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dearborn, Hot Bed Of Shari'a Law?

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/13/texas-sharia-ban/

I ran across this story on the internet today. It appears irresponsible legislators and political pundits are using Dearborn, MI as a hot bed of shari'a law because of the large number of Middle Eastern residents. Fifteen states have passed legislation to oppose the imposition of shari'a law on them, citing the example of Dearborn as a place where it is enforced.

City , State , and Federal laws cover everything , and I don't think most Americans or even Canadians appreciate people immigrating to our countries and have to adapt to their ways . Especially sharia laws in which some of those are religious in nature .

Oh goodie! Another thread to bash X-tians and/or Republicans.

Well they are stupid...*

*Republicans

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    If republicans and christians choose to believe stupidity they hear on the radio, they deserve to be bashed

The idiots who talk about "Sharia Law" in the Context of Metro Detroit Arabs are ridiculously ignorant.

I would wager a majority of Metro Detroit folks of Middle Eastern descent are actually Christian, not Muslim. The region's huge Lebanese and Iraqi communities are almost entirely Christian.

And the Muslim community is very diverse and, for the most part, Westernized. West Warren isn't that dramatically different from other commercial strips in the region.

This is nothing more than conservative propaganda, just like the rumor that Obama was going to personally come and collect everyones guns.

The clown claims he heard on the radio that it's in practice in Dearborn? He needs to lay off the right wing hate radio and broaden his listening spectrum.

There is no documented case of Shari'a Law being allowed anywhere in the U.S., yet that doesn't stop the radical fringe right wing from making these outright lies on a regular basis.

You're never going to convince people with facts and logic when they live in a world of delusions and conspiracies.

Good point. Facts and logic seem to confuse these radical cons.

Per the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I think we need not fear any establishment of Sharia as the law of the land or any portion of the land.

That doesn't prevent crankcases of any religion from exercising their First Amendment rights of free speech.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the people of Mideastern descent in the Detroit area are Christian, but I believe the majority in Dearborn are Muslim, though there are numerous Christians here also. The idea of Sharia law in Dearborn is ridiculous...I live in Dearborn, near a mosque. It is so mainstream that girl scouts sell cookies out of its parking lot on weekends. Every Arab immigrant I've ever met just wants what immigrants have wanted for 200 years -- to become Americans.

everyone calm down.... we should wait for the first public caning in dearborn for drinking beer before we form our opinion....

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Per the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I think we need not fear any establishment of Sharia as the law of the land or any portion of the land.

That doesn't prevent crankcases of any religion from exercising their First Amendment rights of free speech.
    Well stated.

What's wrong with individuals agreeing to participate in Sharia law agreements as long as Sharia law settlements do not violate the laws of our government or attempt to supersede them? We already have councilors who work out agreements both parties agree to outside the court system. I know of a clinic with a lot of Hmong patients which has found that best way to assure that husbands stop beating their wives is for the clinic to refer the problem to Hmong elders who straighten out the husband faster than family services.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    What's wrong with individuals agreeing to participate in Sharia law agreements as long as Sharia law settlements do not violate the laws of our government or attempt to supersede them? We already have councilors who work out agreements both parties agree to outside the court system. I know of a clinic with a lot of Hmong patients which has found that best way to assure that husbands stop beating their wives is for the clinic to refer the problem to Hmong elders who straighten out the husband faster than family services.
    I think the purpose/point of sharia law *[[or any law for that matter) is not selective enforcement of only certain aspects of the law on individuals that choose to participate....

littlebuddy Guest

With barry[[the secrect muslim)obama as president, it will not be long before we are all under sharia law.

How is that going to be accomplished Mr. Paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    Perhaps they could resurrect the political party name, the Know-Nothings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-Nothings

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    With barry[[the secrect muslim)obama as president, it will not be long before we are all under sharia law.
    Do you believe the world is flat as well?

DetroitPole Guest

What gets me most is that if there were real, decent conservatives out there, why are they not angered by this? This and all the flat out untruths that repeatedly come out of the right-wing machine. These are talking-points that are easily debunked by facts because they are simply NOT TRUE; this is not a difference of opinion.

Since everyone has already pretty much covered the total stupdity and plain hatred of this proposed bill, what about how this is a total fucking waste of time and taxpayer money? You conservatives who scream loudest about government excess and taxes, and you have this old pile of shit wasting time with garbage nonsense bills when our country is in the shape its in? Shouldn't the Texas House be focusing on REAL issues - I mean, doesn't Texas have other problems? While we're at it, why not enact a ban against Martian law being enforced in Texas, since that is as probable as Sharia law being enforced there.

They just say ignorant stuff like this to convince you that Muslims are this big, monolithic, scary bunch of people who all think alike.

In truth, there are many ethnicities and religions in metro Detroit's Arabic community. It's a wonder that so many different people from different parts of the Middle East can come here and get along so well and come so far.

In contrast, our uneducated and bickering natives look like fools.

There are a lot of muslims in Dearborn therefore they must have sharia law there. That's the sort of illogic taught by fundamentalist christian churches . Jerusalem annd Bethlehem, Biblical cities, still exist, therefore everything in the Bible is true. By that same logic the story of the Bremen Town musicians must be true. lol

But on the subject of sharia, if the Jews are allowed to have their rabbinical courts here to deal with domestic issues, why shouldn't the muslims be permitted their own courts as long as they are not enforcing laws that go against our constitution? I would prefer that there be no religious courts at all here.

Trolls are awesome!!!

Aren't you supposed to be at a Bar Mitzvah right now??

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Aren't you supposed to be at a Bar Mitzvah right now??

It's much more likely that this person is a Xian and not an MOT [[member of the tribe). =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast