Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The corner drugstore was a a Kinsel, later a Cunningham. Across Moross was a Revco.

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/91953.html

Blazos didn't burn down but it had a fire that did substantial damage. Can't remember when, but it was in the mid 1970s. Not sure if it ever reopened after the fire. There is another thread about Blazos somewhere in the forum.

Blazo's turned into Gabby's and then went belly up. June 1980 GP News:

Name:  Screenshot_20181126-093445_Drive.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  279.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote132003 View Post
    Does anyone remember going into the Sears store? Parked in back, zig-zag alley, some ball fields surrounding the lot separated with a short red brick fence. There were a couple steps up to get into the back door of Sears and you found yourself enclosed in almost a Michigan room, two or three sides glass. They kept the seasonal stuff out there, lawn mowers or Christmas trees. As you entered the brick building proper, there was a small lunch counter at the opposite end, through a doorway, and into the store. I believe they kept a popcorn machine right there. I think it usually started out tools and expanded from there, with clothing near the front windows facing Mack...
    I worked in that Sears store for a little over 2 years in 1966-1968, mostly selling paint and hardware. It was on he SE corner of Mack and Moross, with a short covered walk way to the Hughes, Hatcher next door.

Didn't Blazo's become Landmark Restaurant?
    I think Diamond Lil's was at Kirby [[Gateshead) and Mack.

Ah Diamond Lil's and those killer hamburgers. Downed my share of them as a friend of mine played there on frequent weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Didn't Blazo's become Landmark Restaurant?
    I think Diamond Lil's was at Kirby [[Gateshead) and Mack.
    Landmark sounds really familiar. You might be right. Diamond Lil's was at Kerby.

The only reason I remember is because a friend of mine worked as a busboy there. I seem to remember that it was built new.

There was a bar called Lefty's right round corner. Bartender's name George ....he was called step and a half cause had one leg shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    There was a bar called Lefty's right round corner. Bartender's name George ....he was called step and a half cause had one leg shorter.
    On Moross right by the shoe repair guy?

Yes. I remember that place

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4