Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bicycling on sidewalks versus in the street

I am an amateur when it comes to cycling, but I am trying to make it my primary, fair-weather form of transportation, second only to walking. The problem is, Detroit does not have many bike lanes. True, there is the Dequndre Cut, which is awesome, and the Riverwalk, which is even more awesome, but these bike-ways are designed more for recreation than for practical travel.

For bicycling to work for me, I need to get to various places on a daily basis, such as from my apartment downtown to Midtown, to businesses on East Jefferson, to Corktown, etc. However, I have quickly realized that riding a bike along the curb on Woodward, Jefferson, and Michigan Avenue is freaking treacherous. Drivers seem to be annoyed and tailgate me, they pass by extremely close and at high speeds, the right lane of many streets is usually lined with parked cars, which forces me into traffic, and I've nearly been hit by cars pulling out of parking garages and driveways. The point is: It sucks!

So, here's my question: Do you think it is okay for bikes to ride on sidewalks in Detroit? Some cities with heavy pedestrian traffic have ordinances against bikes on sidewalks, but Detroit does not. Regardless, I have seen a number of cyclists riding in the street in Detroit, but for me, it makes every trip miserable because I keep worrying that I'm going to get clipped. Going forward, I want to start riding on the sidewalk when traffic is heavy and when I can't take a side street. I feel bad for pedestrians who have to put up with me doing this, but until Detroit puts in some bike lanes, it's not worth the risk of getting mowed over by the side-view mirror of some asshole's SUV.

This is the municipal law on point:

Sec. 55-9-12. - Riding on sidewalks.
    No person may ride a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle upon sidewalks. Persons may ride bicycles upon sidewalks; provided, that such persons shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrians; provided, that this provision shall in no way restrict the authority of the recreation department with relation to public parks and play areas.
    [[Code 1964, § 38-6-11)

Augustiner Guest

Have you thought about riding on side streets with less traffic on them?

The safest place for a bicyclist is on the street, toward the right of the rightmost travel lane. Sidewalks are absolutely deadly for bicyclists because motorists are not expecting to encounter a vehicle crossing in the sidewalk space at bicycle speeds.

This may not be intuitive, but it has been studied to death and the results of the studies are all in agreement. No place is more dangerous for a bicyclist than where he has to cross a street from one sidewalk to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner
    Have you thought about riding on side streets with less traffic on them?
    I have done this, but sometimes it is out of the way and not practical, or it takes me through a seedy area. I am definitely willing to take side streets when it makes sense, but not when it takes me too far off course or when it might be a risky area. A good example is Cass, which has far less traffic than Woodward. I've actually walked Cass from downtown to the WSU area before in the early evening, but I do not want to make a habit of riding my bike through the shit part of that area several nights a week, especially when I might be in Midtown until after dark. I'd rather just take Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    The safest place for a bicyclist is on the street, toward the right of the rightmost travel lane. Sidewalks are absolutely deadly for bicyclists because motorists are not expecting to encounter a vehicle crossing in the sidewalk space at bicycle speeds.

This may not be intuitive, but it has been studied to death and the results of the studies are all in agreement. No place is more dangerous for a bicyclist than where he has to cross a street from one sidewalk to another.
    I agree that is probably true on average, but roads like Woodward, especially in Midtown seem super dangerous because you are often wedged in this narrow crevasse between poorly parked cars on the right and/or a bus, and traffic that is moving at ridiculous speeds. On streets that are only 2 lanes in each direction and don't have cars parked in the right lane, I can manage just fine. Such is the case for most of downtown- I have no problem because drivers are moving slower and are seemingly aware of pedestrians, but this is a different environment. Jefferson is just as bad. Michigan seems somewhat better because for some reason less cars seem to drive in the far right lane.

ProfessorScott, this is what I'm talking about: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=De...46.85,,0,12.05

Woodward was't even that busy [[traffic-wise) when this streetview was captured, but I can tell you that dealing with situations like the above is common when riding down Woodward. It is nerve-racking, especially when the armored car is behind you and is being driven by a psycho doing 50 mph in an Escalade while talking on his cell phone.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I have done this, but sometimes it is out of the way and not practical, or it takes me through a seedy area. I am definitely willing to take side streets when it makes sense, but not when it takes me too far off course or when it might be a risky area. A good example is Cass, which has far less traffic than Woodward. I've actually walked Cass from downtown to the WSU area before in the early evening, but I do not want to make a habit of riding my bike through the shit part of that area several nights a week, especially when I might be in Midtown until after dark. I'd rather just take Woodward.
    Well, I guess you can either deal with the seediness, deal with the extra traffic, or invest in a bus pass for nighttime excursions. If you really want to bike on the sidewalk on Woodward at night, I guess I can't stop you, but it doesn't strike me as a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Well, I guess you can either deal with the seediness, deal with the extra traffic, or invest in a bus pass for nighttime excursions. If you really want to bike on the sidewalk on Woodward at night, I guess I can't stop you, but it doesn't strike me as a very good idea.
    Fair enough. I hope I'm not coming off as a whiny complainer. Really, if the city simply made the right lane of the major streets in and around downtown into dedicated bus/bike lanes, there would be no problem.

Augustiner Guest

Fair enough. I hope I'm not coming off as a whiny complainer. Really, if the city simply made the right lane of the major streets in and around downtown into dedicated bus/bike lanes, there would be no problem.
    I can get behind that.

I don't know whether riding on the sidewalk is okay. I do know it's Detroit and nobody is going to stop you. I find sidewalk riding more dangerous though since I have to deal with cars pulling in and out of driveways and the general unevenness and gaps. I ride in the street and have for years now and find it much more logical.

If it makes you miserable to think of all the terrible things that could happen you're right. It's up to you to accept this. I can't lie and say it isn't a dangerous thing to do. It can be as unnerving as it can be enjoyable. Most of all it sounds like you need to get used to it.

And obviously, don't ride on Woodward, Jefferson, or Michigan if they scare you. Take some side streets [[I don't see why you couldn't ever do this).

You'll find the law written the same in many places.

"bicycle riding is prohibited on sidewalks"
    "when bicycle riding on sidewalks yield to pedestrians"

Why so ambiguous? Because only in an accident someone has to be fault and ticketed, otherwise you'd likely never be cited. It's not an ordinance cities are typically interested in enforcing unless for conflict resolution

Just be careful, sidewalks are for pedestrians not bikes. Also keep in mind it will wear more on your bike. Your chances of a bicycle-car collision at an intersection increase dramatically when riding on sidewalks too Buy lights so motorists can see you.
    Last edited by wolverine; April-13-11 at 03:04 AM.

When I use to periodically ride my bike on Woodward my only real concern was people in parked cars opening their doors suddenly . I never really had any concern about cars coming by. Riding on Woodward has been some of the most enjoyable riding I've done in the city.
    I never used one, but it would be smart to buy a whistle.

The scariest parts of Detroit to ride a bike are the ones that have some degree of abandonment. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for everytime I witnessed someone blowing through a red light/stop sign.

Riding on sidewalks is extremely dangerous unless you go really, really slow at the intersections, which I would be surprised if you do. Overtaking accidents [[drivers coming up from behind and hitting you on a straightaway) are rare. The most common kind of accident is being hit by someone passing you and then turning right., which is even more likely to happen if you are on the sidewalk.

Unseparated bike lanes are pretty much useless, don't protect you from right-turners, and unless the lane is really wide won't protect you from the car doors opening.

Ride in the street and watch out for the doors.

Detroit needs to grasp the "Complete Streets" design....need I say more?

Want to determine where you can ride with wide sides, low speeds, and low traffic volumes in Detroit and its environs? See SEMCOG.
    http://www.semcog.org/bikemaps.aspx

Regarding "Complete Streets". Detroit is 310 years old. Complete streets legislation is 2 years old. The State is working on its requirements for planning right now. It does not make sense for communities to work to put together a plan that they may have to change to fit the State's requirements. Regardless, a lot has been done recently and is being done currently to address conditions for bicyclists, transit users, and pedestrains.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-13-11 at 07:45 AM.

I really appreciate the insight into this topic! I ride my bike from Midtown to the CBD most days from Spring-Fall and sometimes on passable days in the winter. I have learned a hybrid of street and sidewalk biking depending on what areas I'm in and time of day. I find that side streets like Griswold are easier to navigate than Woodward most days for riding in the street, but from Mack to I-75 on Woodward, I can usually ride on the sidewalk without encountering many pedestrians. John R is also a nice alternative to Woodward. I also yield at intersections whenever I am riding on the sidewalk to account for cars not seeing me. I just try to be aware of whats happening around me and always leave myself an out. It's crazy to me to see people on bikes listening to headphones!

Toolbox Guest

I would hate to see what you think of riding through a truly bad part of town, I think you need to suck it up and deal. Go take a ride down Grand Blvd from I 94 to Jefferson one night, Cass will seem like Disneyland. Go ride in NYC or SF and Detroit traffic will seem light to non exsistant

When my now wife lived in the city we used to ride all the time, she was at E Grand and Vernor. We would ride to Mexican Town all the time, Cadieux Cafe, Honest John's, Mi Pueblo on Dix and Central. She would also ride from her flat to Ft Wayne towing a trailer full of soccer gear for the team she coached.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    I would hate to see what you think of riding through a truly bad part of town, I think you need to suck it up and deal. Go take a ride down Grand Blvd from I 94 to Jefferson one night, Cass will seem like Disneyland. Go ride in NYC or SF and Detroit traffic will seem light to non exsistant
    Look, I'm not saying that the area is god-awful, but that doesn't mean I want to be riding through there in dress clothes carrying a new laptop on my back after dark. The reason I've been able to live in Detroit without incident is that I use common sense. The area on Cass around that party store and by new Chinatown is shady after dark and not worth risking confrontation, IMO. The last thing I want to do after a long day at work is fight with some nutcase for my bike, laptop, and wallet.

In terms of traffic, you are probably right. I fully admit that I am an amateur when it comes to biking in the city. It can be intimidating when I am not very confident in my skills. The guys in that video above have total awareness of everything around them and are very experienced riding in that environment. I'm used to riding a mountain bike down a dirt road while on vacation up north.

it seems none of the areas in Detroit are designed to go biking. Which is ridiculous. how can a city not take into consideration that people might want to bike in a city? It is the most normal thing in the world.
    Even in the suburbs there are no bike paths in most parts.
    And then the wonder why people don't bike.
    The question is: would people bike more if there were more bike paths or would they build more if people would bike more?
    But to answer your question: i would stay on the road and make sure you have some flashing light on the bike and some reflectors on you.
    Most people here are on the cell phone. they need to be able to see you.
    i think it is a great thing you do! Just ignore the angry drivers.
    all the power to the bikers!

The problem is the non/part time bikers thinking there needs to be something special done to the roads to support bikes. Nothing needs to be done to support bicycles. Bikes are just another vehicle. I ride my mountain bike all the time and on every type of road they are allowed.

Follow the traffic laws and there shouldn't be a problem.

Don't bike on the sidewalk. I don't share your personal issues regarding the city or traffic in general. Hope this helps. http://bicyclesafe.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    it seems none of the areas in Detroit are designed to go biking. Which is ridiculous. how can a city not take into consideration that people might want to bike in a city? It is the most normal thing in the world.
    Even in the suburbs there are no bike paths in most parts.
    And then the wonder why people don't bike.
    The question is: would people bike more if there were more bike paths or would they build more if people would bike more?
    But to answer your question: i would stay on the road and make sure you have some flashing light on the bike and some reflectors on you.
    Most people here are on the cell phone. they need to be able to see you.
    i think it is a great thing you do! Just ignore the angry drivers.
    all the power to the bikers!
    Bikes are vehicles, roads where designed for vehicles, any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Don't bike on the sidewalk. I don't share your personal issues regarding the city or traffic in general. Hope this helps. http://bicyclesafe.com/
    I agree. I am going to try very hard to stay off sidewalks, I just mapped a route to Midtown taking Brush and John R north, which I think will be waaay easier for me than Woodward. I'm not going to take Woodward unless I absolutely have to, I'm just not confident enough yet to deal with it.

Edit: Thanks for the safety info by the way, it is helpful for a novice like me. Also the SEMCOG traffic pattern map is helpful for planning routes.

If you go up Brush, you can go down alittle driveway when you cross Mack and cut through the medical center campus. It's not really the straightest or the fastest, but I enjoy some variety now and then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast