Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Former Detroiter Mitt Romney potential Presidential bid

As we all know Romney spent part of his early years in Detroit as his father was head of American Motors, headquartered longtime on Plymouth Rd. in near northwest Detroit.

A friend who identifies as fundamentalist Christian, conservative and Republican went into a tirade over Romney forming the presidential exploratory committed stating that he, as a born again, bible believing literalist he could never vote for Romney a Mormon, subscribes to [[one of) the great heresies.

Talked to two friends, one Episcopal priest and one Roman Catholic priest who verified that Mormonism is considered a heresy by some Christians and although not making any statements about the candidate, they thought that the fundamentalist branch of evangelical Christians might have difficulties with his beliefs. Sort of like the pleasure pain theory...like the man, hate the man.

Anyone out there have any theological education/training that could explain the
    heresy aspect?
    Last edited by detroitbob; April-12-11 at 12:22 PM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    A friend who identifies as fundamentalist Christian, conservative and Republican went into a tirade over Romney forming the presidential exploratory committed stating that he, as a born again, bible believing literalist he could never vote for Romney a Mormon, subscribes to [[one of) the great heresies.

Talked to two friends, one Episcopal priest and one Roman Catholic priest who verified that Mormonism is considered a heresy by some Christians and although not making any statements about the candidate, they thought that the fundamentalist branch of evangelical Christians might have difficulties with his beliefs. Sort of like the pleasure pain theory...like the man, hate the man.

heresy aspect?
    I'm going with the whole polygamy thing.

ferntruth Guest

Why is this in the Detroit section?

heresy aspect?

The Christian fundamentalists also refer to Catholicism as a "cult." I'm sure they are not fond of the Mormons, or, for that matter, anyone else who doesn't believe exactly what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Why is this in the Detroit section?
    Maybe as the first Michigan-born President?[[as opposed to Leslie Lynch King, Jr from Omaha) The more I read about him, Dewey would have made a good prez, too

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    Maybe as the first Michigan-born President?
    Didn't he come out and say that the auto companies should have been allowed to fail? I know memories are short, but I'd think he might have a tougher time here after that.

The major heresy of Mormonism is summed up in its central theological axiom, the doctrine of the law of eternal progression. To believe in and teach this doctrine is to be so separated from Christian orthodoxy that the unrepentant adherent is consigned to a Christless eternity. It is stated as follows:
    As man is, God once was,
    and as god is, man may become.
    Roll that through your mind a time or two. This all starts with the LDS teaching that there are great numbers of planets scattered througout the vastness of outer space which are ruled by countless exalted men-gods who once were human like us. This may sound like Battlestar Galactica to the average person, but upon this axiom is base the entire theology of Mormonism: from the temple rituals for the living to those for their dead; from the teaching that families are forever to the pressure on parents to send theri youth to the mission field across the world.

The Mormon people are committed to a controlled program that maps out their entire lives as they seek their own exaltation and godhood, their own planet to rule and reign over.
    http://mrclm.blogspot.com/2005/08/mormon-heresy.html

He should be disqualified from high office just for this. What an idiot!

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...638065,00.html

"The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest."

Before this is moved, let me say that Mitt is not electable. You think Obama got it bad, let Mitt get elected and next thing you know the United States become Utah expanded. For the record, I like Utah. I think Salt Lake City is a good place to raise a family but the state is controlled by the Mormons. People would spread rumors that Romney want to ban coffee and alcohol. All hell will break loose then Romney will water down the beer to 3.2% alcohol and the Long Island Iced Teas will be nearly alcohol-free.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Before this is moved, let me say that Mitt is not electable. You think Obama got it bad, let Mitt get elected and next thing you know the United States become Utah expanded. For the record, I like Utah. I think Salt Lake City is a good place to raise a family but the state is controlled by the Mormons. People would spread rumors that Romney want to ban coffee and alcohol. All hell will break loose then Romney will water down the beer to 3.2% alcohol and the Long Island Iced Teas will be nearly alcohol-free.

I am old enough [[b. 1939) to have been an adult back in the 1960s. When Mitt's father, George Romney, was running for governor of Michigan and later for President of the US, I cannot recall his religion being at all an issue. The only issue with George was his being born in Mexico to US parents working abroad.

Michigan could probably use old George today.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I'm not a Romney fan but you sound like you came straight from 1960.
    "If Kennedy is elected, the U.S.A. will be run from the Vatican" and on and on. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Separation of church and state is important. I think the issue with Romney is similar to other right-wing pols who court the evangelicals: They are encouraging the very people who want to tamper with that church-state division. That's where the similarity to JFK ends and a very disturbing and real problem begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I am old enough [[b. 1939) to have been an adult back in the 1960s. When Mitt's father, George Romney, was running for governor of Michigan and later for President of the US, I cannot recall his religion being at all an issue. The only issue with George was his being born in Mexico to US parents working abroad.

Michigan could probably use old George today.
    Don't forget that George's father had moved to Mexico so he could pratice polygamy. In the early 1900's hundreds of Mormon's moved to Mexico to continue the practice.

If one can even get past the many documented reversals of course on a whole host of issues.... I love that Mittens continues the Republican tradition of avoiding all discussion of his 5 Vietnam draft deferments. I'd imagine there would have been the usual rants of "coward" or "draft dodger" from the usual suspects were he a democrat. Another example of the "its ok if you're a republican" rule....see Cheney, Dick for the most egregious of offenders in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Christian fundamentalists also refer to Catholicism as a "cult." I'm sure they are not fond of the Mormons, or, for that matter, anyone else who doesn't believe exactly what they do.
    All christian and islamic sects, and the base religions themselves, are dictionary definitions of cults. Check some of the demands made by Jesus on his followers, compare them with what modern-day "cultists" demand of theirs.

That said, Romney is SO greasy and smarmy, he comes off like a hollywood parody of a greasy, smarmy politician

The biggest problem Mitt will face regarding his religion will come from the Republican base. Rarely do you hear folks on the left saying a politician is not "Christian" enough to be the nominee.

"If Kennedy is elected, the U.S.A. will be run from the Vatican"
    And it was.

Romney brings to mind nasty words like:

elitist
    snobbery
    Terry Rakolta

and a few others.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    Maybe as the first Michigan-born President?[[as opposed to Leslie Lynch King, Jr from Omaha) The more I read about him, Dewey would have made a good prez, too

Thanks for not answering the question.
    What does this have to do with DETROIT?!

Indeed, even though he's a favorite of the corporate set and of business-oriented Republicans in general due to his extensive background in management and finance, Mitt's biggest problem is still going to be within his own party.

Believe it or not, he is apparently seen as "not conservative enough" by much of the Republican base. Exhibit 1 in their case against him being his actions as Governor of Massachusetts [[an office that's already horrifying enough on its own to many on the right), particularly his pushing for and signing of a sweeping health care reform bill. Add in his religious background - which means that a major portion of the party's electorate won't vote for him since Mormonism is viewed as not really Christian by most fundamentalist Christians, and as a dangerous and pernicious heresy by many of them - and he's basically unelectable as the GOP nominee.

Even though he was raised in Bloomfield Hills and went to Cranbrook, I also don't really think that he gains all that much traction here in Michigan either, since he hasn't lived in the state since he went away to college, his father's governorship is not within the meaningful memory of most living Michigan voters, and he came out publicly against bailing out the auto companies.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-12-11 at 05:21 PM.

Anyone out there have any theological education/training that could explain the heresy aspect?
    The main problem that Bible-believing Christians have with Mormonism is that Mormons believe in The Book of Mormon - a text reputedly received on golden tablets from an angel named Moroni in 1827 by Joseph Smith near his home in Manchester, New York - as the highest and holiest work of scripture, superceding the Bible [[although Mormons do believe in the Bible as holy scripture as well). And they primarily follow the Book of Mormon's text, laws, and instructions in their beliefs and in practicing their faith. Many of those beliefs and practices differ significantly from those of more mainstream Bible-derived Christianity.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-12-11 at 05:17 PM.

Religion should be a non-issue. Those raising it must be paranoid about something.

Vox Guest

My first impulse would be to vote for him in the primary. I feel that out of the candidates that are out there on the Republican side, he would be the one to do the least harm to the country.

Think of Bachmann, Palin, Huckabee there, then consider the ramifications.

If Romney is the candidate, this disinfranchises that political religious right, somewhat. Then gives Obama a better chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    All christian and islamic sects, and the base religions themselves, are dictionary definitions of cults. Check some of the demands made by Jesus on his followers, compare them with what modern-day "cultists" demand of theirs.

That said, Romney is SO greasy and smarmy, he comes off like a hollywood parody of a greasy, smarmy politician

I don't agree with greasy and smarmy. I thik that he comes across as a "lightweight" and really lacks the "gravitas" of his father. George Romney was a guy that you felt you could trust if you voted for him and that he would get the job done. Unfortunately, in 1968, Nixon had earnd a lot of "markers" from the Republican establishment and he cashed those markers for the votes in the convention.

After his loss in the 62 Cali governors race, Richard Nixon made himself available to speak at any Republican fund raiser, even if the guy was only running for dog catcher. When 1968 rolled around, an awful lot of Republican functionaries at the town and county levels "owed' Nixon and supported him at the convention. Romney had support, but not at this depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Religion should be a non-issue. Those raising it must be paranoid about something.
    You're right religion should be a non issue politically, however it never is. See the Mormon influence on California's Prop 8 for one, or when the Catholic church or focus on the family type organizations dominate the political scene any time stem cell research, abortion or gay rights comes up. I mean heck, check out Donald Trump's pandering to the CBN audience. I mean DONALD TRUMP being seriously interviewed as a possible candidate on the Christian Broadcast network!?! The depressing reality is that Christianists control the republican primary system. if they didn't people like Hukabee [[who just stated that the country should be held at gun point and made to watch a christo-fascist Dominionist propaganda video) would be laughed out of the political sphere. And since they control it, Mittens has no chance as he is not a christian but a magic underwear wearing, pacifist, draft dodging, flip flopping, godless member of a cult. Who wants to death panel grandma and force everyone into a gay marriage because he did it in Massachusetts.

Huckabee issue here with links included...
    Huckabee has just been caught on video, at a Christian supremacist conference, stating that Americans should be forcibly indoctrinated at gunpoint. The organization which hosted the “Rediscover God In America” conference, United in Purpose, has edited Huckabee’s comment from footage of his speech, but not before People For The American Way’s Kyle Mantyla captured the unedited footage, in which Mike Huckabee states, “I almost wish that there would be, like, a simultaneous telecast, and all Americans would be forced–forced at gunpoint no less–to listen to every David Barton message, and I think our country would be better for it. I wish it’d happen.”
    That ladies and gentlemen is your current leader amongst likely republican primary voters.
    Last edited by bailey; April-13-11 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Huckabee has just been caught on video, at a Christian supremacist conference, stating that Americans should be forcibly indoctrinated at gunpoint. The organization which hosted the “Rediscover God In America” conference, United in Purpose, has edited Huckabee’s comment from footage of his speech, but not before People For The American Way’s Kyle Mantyla captured the unedited footage, in which Mike Huckabee states, “I almost wish that there would be, like, a simultaneous telecast, and all Americans would be forced–forced at gunpoint no less–to listen to every David Barton message, and I think our country would be better for it. I wish it’d happen.”

Ah yes, this is why I love so-called "Christian" fundamentalists: A zillion different "pastors" teaching a zillion different "catechisms"--basically, whatever the fuck they feel like teaching. Say what you will about the Catholic Church, but the same catechism is taught in every parish in the world. You couldn't even say that about two evangelical churches that are right next door to each other. Yet somehow, they all think they're Right-er than everyone else.

Give me a break, Hucksterabee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast