Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mass Speed Traps This Week/Summer

Cutting through the BS, this is pretty ridiculous...

http://www.freep.com/article/2011041...ps-gunning-you

It's just a revenue generator for the agencies involved...they might as well just say it as it is. Nonetheless, keep your wallets full and get your radar detectors out!

They were out on 94 tonight, after dark, between Zeeb and Jackson Roads [[Ann Arbor) and around Michigan Avenue in Pittsfield Township, all eastbound. I'm doing 60 mph max. I don't want all those FEES they're generating to offset all of my TAX CUTS.

Of the following, who gets a ticket?

a) Someone in the left lane with no traffic ahead going 85MPH
    b) Someone who is going 70MPH but is passing on the right, tailgaiting others, and cutting others off when making lane changes
    c) Someone else going 70MPH who cuts across two or three lanes of traffic to get to their exit ramp

The answer, every time, is A. That's the problem I have with these so-called 'safety' campaigns. The aggressive drivers who are putting others at higher risks are not always the ones driving the fastest, but the speeders are the easiest targets. How can a trooper really understand who is driving unsafely if they're watching the radar gun and not the road?

I'm not a speeder especially with gas prices these days, but it still kills me to see these so-called safety campaigns advertised when they're just a way to make a few bucks. And if we want to talk about increasing revenue on the backs of taxpayers, let's call a spade a spade here.

I heard on the radio that they are targeting the agressive drivers. I certainly hope this is the case. These are the folks who make things rough on everyone with tailgating, weaving, etc.

I do agree with sirrealone though. They need to emphasize more on those who drive like idiots. Personally I'd be happy if they dropped the speed limit to 60 mph and enforced it. This would save millions of barrels of oil a year. An unbelieveable amount of energy gets wasted by people who drive like idiots.

I don't mind aggressive drivers because they speed on by. I do mind that I-94 has a 55 mph speed limit, which is too low.

On many Mexican freeways the speed limit varies by lane. This could be done to some stretches of I-75 and I-96, making for smoother travels with a speed limit of 85 for the left land and 70 for the remaining lanes. Texas has recently raised the speed limit to 85 mph in some rural areas without any undesired consequences.

If you have a smart phone...the App Trapster will help you find speed traps.....

Personally I'd be happy if they dropped the speed limit to 60 mph and enforced it.
    I never understood why they dropped the nationwide 55. The states were all griping about money back then too, but they had to come up with a bunch of money for new signs that could have been better spent.

I was more than content with 55. You really don't save enough time at 70 to make a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You really don't save enough time at 70 to make a significant difference.
    As someone who manages a territory that stretches over 1000 miles from one end to another and drives about 80,000 miles per year, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    As someone who manages a territory that stretches over 1000 miles from one end to another and drives about 80,000 miles per year, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
    Yeah, but for the other 98% that most of us would fall in, I agree that a lower speed limit wouldn't cost that much time. In fact, I think rush hours would end up being the same. Traffic jams often start when people have to hit the brakes due to a high volume of traffic entering during peak times. If traffic is moving slower, the impact will start at a later point in the cycle and the required 'slowdown' will be less severe, resulting in a better flow of traffic.

I never understood why they dropped the nationwide 55. The states were all griping about money back then too, but they had to come up with a bunch of money for new signs that could have been better spent.

I was more than content with 55. You really don't save enough time at 70 to make a significant difference.
    They conducted a study which found out that over 60% of motorists were not observing the 55 MPH limit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I don't mind aggressive drivers because they speed on by. I do mind that I-94 has a 55 mph speed limit, which is too low.
    This is also the case on the Autobahn in Germany. However, the difference is that in Europe people stay to the right unless passing and passing on the right is strictly forbidden. Here, many people go straight to the left lane, start yapping on their phone and refuse to move over for faster traffic. I see it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Yeah, but for the other 98% that most of us would fall in, I agree that a lower speed limit wouldn't cost that much time. In fact, I think rush hours would end up being the same. Traffic jams often start when people have to hit the brakes due to a high volume of traffic entering during peak times. If traffic is moving slower, the impact will start at a later point in the cycle and the required 'slowdown' will be less severe, resulting in a better flow of traffic.
    The biggest causes of traffic jams and accidents are people going under the average rate of speed, particularly in "passing" lanes, which slows everything down and makes people angry and aggressive.

Avoid tickets by wearing a seatbelt, drive at or below the speed limit, signal every turn and lane change, ride sober, keep your pot in the trunk ... oh yeah, avoid picking up hookers.

Follow those rules and you can rest assured that most tickets will be issued to the other guy.

However, in the event of being stopped, make sure you keep your mouth shut and your hands in full sight. Don't admit anything, don't argue, do not get angry. Stay calm.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I heard on the radio that they are targeting the agressive drivers. I certainly hope this is the case. These are the folks who make things rough on everyone with tailgating, weaving, etc.

I do agree with sirrealone though. They need to emphasize more on those who drive like idiots. Personally I'd be happy if they dropped the speed limit to 60 mph and enforced it. This would save millions of barrels of oil a year. An unbelieveable amount of energy gets wasted by people who drive like idiots.
    You'd probably save more gas encouraing people to tailgate more than by lowering the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The biggest causes of traffic jams and accidents are people going under the average rate of speed, particularly in "passing" lanes, which slows everything down and makes people angry and aggressive.
    Exactly. I totally agree as I'm one of those people that get angry and aggressive when people are clogging the lanes on the freeways.

I'm one of those people that get angry and aggressive when people are clogging the lanes on the freeways.
    Then you should not have a driver's license or be allowed to drive a car.

That's your opinion, I know how to drive thanks.

Oh, go easy on him. He just realizes what every other driver hasn't figured out yet, which is that his time is more important and valuable than anybody else's and that he's a better driver than anybody else ever.

I know how to drive thanks.
    When you're crawling up the tailpipe of a guy doing the speed limit and you're the one that gets the ticket, remember to tell the judge "I know how to drive thanks. "

Radar detectors won't prevent you from getting a ticket in any particular speeding incident. What they're good for is identifying areas that typically have greater enforcement. That's good to know.

I've also discovered that if you're new to an area, you'll get scanned more often until they learn that you belong there. Then the scanning stops. I think that means they're just looking for probable cause so they can identify you.

When you're crawling up the tailpipe of a guy doing the speed limit and you're the one that gets the ticket, remember to tell the judge "I know how to drive thanks. "
    I don't tailgate, see you are just assuming things from a few words I said on how I drive. I didn't and don't feel the need to explain to you my driving habits.

I'm with you Brian. Obstructing traffic in the passing lane. The self-involved "keepers of the speed" are what cause the accidents by creating bottlenecks. Detroit drivers are by far the worst in this regard of anywhere I've lived. Immediately move to the left, turn on cell phone, turn off brain.
    Last edited by wvernon; April-12-11 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    You'd probably save more gas encouraing people to tailgate more than by lowering the speed limit.
    Not really, If I was on a freeway full of tailgaters, I would leave it for the principal arterials. I am sure a lot of folks would. 60 mph is the sweet spot where the fuel economy is the greatest and pollution is at its minimum. On principals you can't travel that fast thus you are less efficient. With agressive drivers surrounding you, one is forced to brake and punch the gas pedal more and that drags down your efficency as well. I am at least considerate and don't hog the left lane, it makes my life less stressful.

Faster speed limits also reward those who want to live far away from where they work.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-12-11 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast