Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1891 Detroit Early Settlers

The Lincoln Park Historical Society has added a dozen new articles/pages on the early Pioneers of The Downriver Area.
    Most were written by Frank Rathbun and published in the Mellus Newspapers during 1952-53.
    Mr. Rathbun contributed a wealth of historical items to the Lincoln Park Historical Society in 1980.

Amongst those references was this 1891 Sunday News article:
    Peter Lafferty 1891 Detroit Early Settlers. This article describes the Lafferty Family and the early settlers of the West-side.

I get a "403 Permission Denied" error when I click on any of those links.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I get a "403 Permission Denied" error when I click on any of those links.
    Mike,
    I've not looked at the visitor logs yet this morning.
    Last night and through 11:48 PM, two visitors from here were denied access.

1) has a malformed browser footprint.
    2) the other has a malware active [[FunWebProducts).

If you contact me privately with an email, I may be able to acquire your IP range and determine if your one of these two.

There's a old schoolhouse called the Goodell School built in Lincoln Park grounds. It last til the early 1970s. The Bell and plaque is now in display next to the Lincoln Park Historical Museum. It's been almost a year since the Mellus Newspaper " The Lincoln Parker" buiding is gone. Now I big smooth surface of brownfield dirt just like the rest of "Ghetto-like" Downtown Lincoln Park.

The Village of Lincoln Park was part of Ecorse TWP. in 1921 and later a city. This incorporation was to prevent the area to be annexed to Detroit. In the 1950s Lincoln Park wants all of western part of Ecorse TWP. to their city. Residents cried foul and rush to incorporate a city called Allen Park. Lincoln Park tried to annex all the southwestern portion of Ecorse TWP. Residents rush to incorporate and found a city called Southgate.
    Last edited by Danny; April-12-11 at 08:52 AM.

The former Goodell School property is now the CVS Pharmacy at Fort and Campaign.

The original Goodell School was a one-room wooden structure on the northwest portion of that property, approximately Fort Park and Mill.
    A second room was later added to he original one room structure and then in approximately 1913 the former building that Danny refers to was built.

Both Goodell and the former Strowig Schools [[Fort and Outer Drive [[aka Pepper) Southwest Corner) were part of the original Ecorse Township School District and were annexed to Lincoln Park in 1927.

The Lincoln Park Society has a few longtime volunteers that attended Strowig [[and other early LP schools) which was razed in 1924-25 due to the widening of both Fort St. and Outer Drive.
    Last edited by wilderness; April-12-11 at 09:05 AM.