Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Je’Rean Blake-----Was justice served?

Not sure if anyone have caught this but the murderer of Je’Rean Blake just pleaded guilty to 2nd degree murder and in exchange for this plea, the murderer will testify that the father of Aiyana Stanley-Jones gave him the murder weapon.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110411/NEWS01/110411041/Gunman-takes-plea-deal-case-led-slaying-Aiyana-Stanley-Jones?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Now, I am disappointed in Wayne County. The murderer got a dirty look, went home, got a gun, returned to the scene and murdered this young man for a dirty look and he gets 28 years. Twenty-eight years for taking a life over a look. What the fuck? Is this Law and Order? The city of Detroit and Wayne County took one on the chin because a Detroit police officer fired his firearm and a 7year old lost her life and now all eyes are on the father to tilt the scale in public opinion. If Charles Jones indeed supplied the murder weapon then he should answer for that but to give a cold-blooded murderer 28 years is just wrong.

From what I read, the mother of Je'Rean Blake was okay with the deal, so I am as well. 28 years for a 35 year old lifetime criminal is probably going to work out to be close to a life sentence. I don't think it's as much about tilting public opinion as it is about trying to get everyone who was involved in the crime. Jones apparently didn't just encourage Owens; he supplied the gun. Deals are made like this in other cases where there is no related police shooting.

Sure, I would have preferred to see Owens get life with no possibility of parole and the same for Jones, but given the 28 year sentence and the approval of the victim's mother, I don't have a real problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    From what I read, the mother of Je'Rean Blake was okay with the deal, so I am as well. 28 years for a 35 year old lifetime criminal is probably going to work out to be close to a life sentence. I don't think it's as much about tilting public opinion as it is about trying to get everyone who was involved in the crime. Jones apparently didn't just encourage Owens; he supplied the gun. Deals are made like this in other cases where there is no related police shooting.

Sure, I would have preferred to see Owens get life with no possibility of parole and the same for Jones, but given the 28 year sentence and the approval of the victim's mother, I don't have a real problem with it.
    Here's the problem with giving that piece of trash 28 years. The state is going to have every dirtbag murderer requesting 2nd degree murder pleas to escape an life sentence and they will use the Chauncey Owens case as precedence. "Hey, give me 2nd degree and I will give you the man or woman who gave me the murder weapon"

This wasn't a "heat of the moment" event. This was premeditated but because Mr. Owens can give the state a "bigger fish" he will get 28 years. Let's be truthful now. If Aiyana wasn't killed by Detroit Police, the state would never made a deal with the murderer. Now you would make a deal with the supplier to get the murderer but not the other way around. Now if the mother of Je'Rean Blake can live with it then it is because there isn't nothing that she can do about it. The state does not need her permission to make a deal with a murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Here's the problem with giving that piece of trash 28 years. The state is going to have every dirtbag murderer requesting 2nd degree murder pleas to escape an life sentence and they will use the Chauncey Owens case as precedence. "Hey, give me 2nd degree and I will give you the man or woman who gave me the murder weapon"

This wasn't a "heat of the moment" event. This was premeditated but because Mr. Owens can give the state a "bigger fish" he will get 28 years. Let's be truthful now. If Aiyana wasn't killed by Detroit Police, the state would never made a deal with the murderer. Now you would make a deal with the supplier to get the murderer but not the other way around. Now if the mother of Je'Rean Blake can live with it then it is because there isn't nothing that she can do about it. The state does not need her permission to make a deal with a murderer.
    I understand your concern, but allowing a killer to plead to second degree murder in exchange for cooperation is nothing new. Prosecutors cut those kinds of deals all the time, for a variety of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with a related DPD shooting. They cut deals with the triggerman to get the guy who provided the gun or the guy who ordered the hit, and they cut deals with accomplices to get the triggerman. I don't think it's going to lead to a wave of accused killers asking to plead to second degree, because that's going on now. This case is more high profile, but defense attorneys know to offer up cooperation in exchange for a lesser charge or sentence. And even if this leads to a bunch of criminals asking for the deal, it doesn't mean the prosecutor has to give it to them.

The quotes I read from the mother of Je'Rean indicate she was fine with the plea because she wants everyone involved in her son's slaying to face justice. I'm going to go by what she said and not try to read her mind and guess how she really feels about it.

From what I read, the mother of Je'Rean Blake was okay....
    All things aside, but...
    Where did she come up with the name "Je'Rean" ??? Scrabble??!!

The question is "Was Justice Served?"

Plea deals and feelings have nothing to do with justice. So, I would say justice was not served and rarely is in modern Western society. IMO, justice requires that both men responsible for the death of Je'Rean Blake forfeit their own lives. In the interests of "humane treatment" and a desire to "rehabilitate" we rarely dispense true justice.

Indeed his name is an 'aside' item... Blake's murders was a tragedy among many. So many teens that are shot of have had close encounters with a gun. Crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    All things aside, but...
    Where did she come up with the name "Je'Rean" ??? Scrabble??!!