Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default When Art Meets the Internet: The Evolution of DetroitYES!

As you have been so much a part of this, I would like to extend a special, if belated, invitation to the members of the DetroitYES forum to an event where I will be making the following presentation.

When Art Meets the Internet: The Evolution of DetroitYES!
    You are invited to a visual-aural presentation by Detroit Artist Lowell Boileau, creator of DetroitYES.com, for the Detroit Social Media Club at the Detroit Public Library On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6-8 PM.

The presentation will outline in images and words the emergence DetroitYES! from its origins as an internet-medium artwork to its evolution as a solutions-based social media gathering point. An open question and answer discussion will follow. The event is free and open to the public.

Detroit Public Library
    5201 Woodward Avenue
    Detroit, MI
    My actual presentation should begin around 6:30ish and be under 30 minutes. Relaxed conversation precedes and follows the display.

PS. I will also be enjoying a pint at the Cass Cafe afterwards for those with more than a thirst for knowledge.

Thanks Lowell. Can I yell and rant and rave? Maybe at half decibels? Is there some way I can get NO!bama, demicans and rebuplicats into the conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Thanks Lowell. Can I yell and rant and rave? Maybe at half decibels? Is there some way I can get NO!bama, demicans and rebuplicats into the conversation?
    My good friends Rocco and Vito, who owe me a favor, will be skulking in the back of the room. Look for two huge guys with sun glasses, short hair and tight fitting leather jackets mumbling things like 'dis ain't da non-Detroit forum and did ju hear dat? did ju hear dat?"

I'm getting the mental image of that Big Deal guy from the Priceline commercials. LOL!

Congratulations, Lowell!

Lowell,
    I'll have a pint [[Corona or Stella Artois) with you in spirit at the Cass Cafe.

The presentation sounds great. Wish I could be there.
    Susan Kollins, California again

I'll be there in spirit, both at the presentation & the Cass Cafe, but cannot make it in person. Thanks again for doing this whole forum thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I'm getting the mental image of that Big Deal guy from the Priceline commercials. LOL!

Congratulations, Lowell!
    That's my buddy I grew up with from Delray. We called him 'Tempatation'.

I'm curious to know what real world solutions have come from this "solutions-based social media gathering point"? I'm not being snarky. There are lots of folks on here wanting to "do" something, I think it'd be encouraging to hear what actually got "done".

I would not have become a part of the Georgia Street Community Collective had I not followed Mark's early efforts on this forum. Most of the original founders of GSCC met because of this forum.

Additionally, I have met lots of new people, supporters of the City of Detroit. Before that, I had never spent any time in the City except for hockey games. I have taken part in many events now and learned a ton of history of the City.

Thank you Lowell...for all your efforts and bringing so many great people together!

Hey Lowell,

Nice meeting and chatting with you this evening at the Detroit Public Library. You put together a great presentation.

Lowell...
    What Eastside said.

Good meeting you there as well 65memories.

Thanks. It was a pleasure to meet both of you!

Did you make it to the Cass Cafe? We stopped by after the Detroit HIstorical Museum event about 8:30. Sorry we missed you!

To Bailey's point, I believe that there are a number of small businesses and other ventures that have come to fruition, in part, because of the connections made within this DetroitYES community.

Sorry to miss you Kathleen. The Social Media Club president was ending his term and they had planned to celebrate him at Motor City Brewing so we ended up there. I did swing by Cass Cafe briefly afterwards.

Sorry I didn't make it. I planned to attend from the moment you posted. I really, badly wanted to heckle you. Kidding aside, my work day was much too long and too much was left to do for and at the bar to get the doors open on time. YouTube? Our Grand, Exalted, Micropointy, Social Media Leader on video? C'mon Lowell, post a link.

So tell us all about it. How many people showed up? What was the overall reaction to your presentation? Any interesting comments or questions from the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    To Bailey's point, I believe that there are a number of small businesses and other ventures that have come to fruition, in part, because of the connections made within this DetroitYES community.
    And many have been assisted in their endeavors by DY, its staff, posters and others of this online community, me as one of the most glaring examples. For all the times Lowell has censored me [[that's a joke, gang, for those of thin skin) DY's been here to assist me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    ...I have met lots of new people, supporters of the City of Detroit... Thank you Lowell...for all your efforts and bringing so many great people together!
    Thank you, indeed, Lowell - what a wonderful forum to read [[albeit from afar) news about the Motor City. Brought back many memories, also keeps me updated on cultural issues!

Wish I could have attended your presentation - would it be possible for you to post it online as PowerPoint or video on YouTube?