Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default BevHills billionaire[[by way of Flint) buys Pistons, Palace, Pine Knob

Yes I said Pine Knob, stick that in yer Kern Block

http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2011/0...aire_to_bu.php

I'm pretty sure that Brooks Patterson will be able to sleep tonight.

I think this will end up being good news for Michigan [[an ex native)... but not necessarily good news for those who hoped for a dual downtown arena.

C'est la vie.....

Gores also owns a home on Grosse Ile....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Brooks Patterson will be able to sleep tonight.

I think this will end up being good news for Michigan [[an ex native)... but not necessarily good news for those who hoped for a dual downtown arena.

C'est la vie.....
    Oh Brooks was happy. He's tickled pink that the Pistons are staying in Auburn Hills and though I would prefer them in Detroit, so be it. I will be still a Pistons fan though I admit they aren't peaking my interest at this time.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Oh Brooks was happy. He's tickled pink that the Pistons are staying in Auburn Hills and though I would prefer them in Detroit, so be it. I will be still a Pistons fan though I admit they aren't peaking my interest at this time.
    Yep, he said so. If I were an Oakland County resident, I'd be a litte concerned if he had said he was bummed because it would have been nice to see the Pistons playing at a new stadium downtown.

IF the Pistons were playing at a new stadium downtown, What other events will be held at the Palace? Monster truck rallies?? Motocross?? Rodeo?? Indoor Superfair Canivals?? Shrine Circus?? A petting zoo??

DetroitPole Guest

Yes, great. Let's keep doing things as we've been doing and expect different results.

I just love Auburn Hills because it is the iconic, symbolic, economic center of our region, and I love to walk to bars from the Palace before and after the game.

The good people of Oakland County can continue to live, work, and play as if the City of Detroit never existed. Of course when they leave the region they will proudly tell people they are from "Detroit" as Detroit continues to crumble but they can go sleep soundly in Oakland County.

Maybe every single one of our little feifdom suburbs should have a major league stadium, so none can complain about "poaching." Who needs a strong central city at the core of our region? Not us.

DetroitPole, I don't think a basketball franchise has much to do with building a "strong central city" anyways.

Where the Pistons play likely has little to no impact on regional development patterns.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham Man View Post
    What troubled me about this long winded saga was when the media surfaced some middle eastern buyers the press became very xenophobia in the coverage... Apparently the new owner past the good patriot litmus test....WTF
    Disagree.

I think the concern about the middle eastern buyers was that they were connected to the area in any way. They could have been a group from Nebraska with no local ties, and the same fears would have been displayed. The biggest concern among fans [[without realizing perhaps how dumb it would be to move) was to keep the Pistons in SE Michigan. There have always been rumors about an NBA franschise in Vegas, and as soon as a franchise goes up for sale that discussion would usually ensue. Just the usual paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham Man View Post
    I hope you are right nevertheless I did smell the stench of phobia whenever the buyers were mentioned had orgins in the middle east..
    I didn't sense any xenophobia in the media. At any rate, the Pistons in fact did end up being sold to a buyer with Middle Eastern origins. Gores was born in Israel, and i believe is of Lebanese descent.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    The good people of Oakland County can continue to live, work, and play as if the City of Detroit never existed. Of course when they leave the region they will proudly tell people they are from "Detroit" as Detroit continues to crumble but they can go sleep soundly in Oakland County.
    I didn't realize the people in Oakland County had any say in the matter. They certainly didn't ask me for my opinion.

Where the Pistons play has a lot to do with a strong central city. 800 thousand people per year running around a central city has a lot to do with a strong central city. Just as much as AAA moving to Dearborn and taking their employees. As much as Detroit College of Law becoming the Michigan State Law School and not having 400 students there everyday. Many prominent schools have their professional schools [[law, dental, medical) in a large city nearby. As much Channel 56 moving to Wixom and taking their people. Even the pissing match between Karmanos and Ilitch about the junior Red wings was a bad deal for the central city. 3000 people times 40 games floating around downtown was good for the CBD. 800 thousand people per year helps the light rail when it appears. I'm glad they're staying in Michigan but I hope they move to the city if only because it's a pain in the butt to get there and I only live 20 miles away.

What I love is how the Pistons players, knowing [[I'm sure) that He was attending the
    game, Monday night against Cleveland....couldn't even 'get it up' for their new boss.
    What a lackluster performance, as was MANY of their games this season.
    Now, even though things in the organization were in turmoil, since Mr. Davidson
    passed away, under the bullshit nonauspicious watch of K. Davidson, you'd think
    they would care a little bit. I mean, they ARE being employed, and they ARE making pretty good money. That's actually, a lot to be said in the current economical environment we find ourselves in.
    It's like they could care less.
    And the little performance by Charlie Villanoava.....Just beautiful dude!!!!
    How embarrassing.
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    Where the Pistons play has a lot to do with a strong central city.
    I don't think sports clubs do much to improve a city.

We've had downtown arenas for the past 100 years or so; first Olympia Arena and then Joe Louis.

I'm too young to have seen Olympia, but the area was supposedly a wreck during much of its existence. As for Joe Louis, the primary beneficiaries appear to be parking lot operators and maybe the People Mover.

I have never seen a downtown "saved" by professional sports. They may be a modest net positive, but I don't see the revitalization.

90% of the folks attending a sports event just drive, park, and walk in. For the remaining 10%, some bars and restaurants will benefit, though those are heavily cash businesses, and there's probably limited tax revenue impact.

I do think, however, that it makes sense for the Red Wings and Pistons to play in the same arena. From an efficiency standpoint [[and to guard the public purse), there should be some sort of coordination, especially if any public monies are in play.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Yes, great. Let's keep doing things as we've been doing and expect different results.

I just love Auburn Hills because it is the iconic, symbolic, economic center of our region, and I love to walk to bars from the Palace before and after the game.

Maybe every single one of our little feifdom suburbs should have a major league stadium, so none can complain about "poaching." Who needs a strong central city at the core of our region? Not us.
    Well said. I get upset that I have to travel through Oakland County to get to Detroit. I hate that county.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    DetroitPole, I don't think a basketball franchise has much to do with building a "strong central city" anyways.

Where the Pistons play likely has little to no impact on regional development patterns.
    I don't think it does either but there is a reason that they are called the Detroit Pistons. Maybe they should rename them to the Oakland County Pistons or Auburn Hills Pistons, that would suit them better.

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    Where the Pistons play has a lot to do with a strong central city. 800 thousand people per year running around a central city has a lot to do with a strong central city. Just as much as AAA moving to Dearborn and taking their employees. As much as Detroit College of Law becoming the Michigan State Law School and not having 400 students there everyday. Many prominent schools have their professional schools [[law, dental, medical) in a large city nearby. As much Channel 56 moving to Wixom and taking their people. Even the pissing match between Karmanos and Ilitch about the junior Red wings was a bad deal for the central city. 3000 people times 40 games floating around downtown was good for the CBD. 800 thousand people per year helps the light rail when it appears. I'm glad they're staying in Michigan but I hope they move to the city if only because it's a pain in the butt to get there and I only live 20 miles away.
    I hope Gores moves the Pistons to Detroit someday. Who cares what L. Brooks Patterson has to say anyways? Oakland County doesn't deserve a major league sports team because there are no major cities in the county to put them in, Detroit is the major city in the area and should be the home to all four sports teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think sports clubs do much to improve a city.

We've had downtown arenas for the past 100 years or so; first Olympia Arena and then Joe Louis.

I'm too young to have seen Olympia, but the area was supposedly a wreck during much of its existence. As for Joe Louis, the primary beneficiaries appear to be parking lot operators and maybe the People Mover.

I have never seen a downtown "saved" by professional sports. They may be a modest net positive, but I don't see the revitalization.

90% of the folks attending a sports event just drive, park, and walk in. For the remaining 10%, some bars and restaurants will benefit, though those are heavily cash businesses, and there's probably limited tax revenue impact.

I do think, however, that it makes sense for the Red Wings and Pistons to play in the same arena. From an efficiency standpoint [[and to guard the public purse), there should be some sort of coordination, especially if any public monies are in play.
    The Olympia wasn't downtown, it was located at Grand River and McGraw. I too am too young to remember Olympia but I do remember when it was still standing, it was demolished around 1986 or 87. I agree that sporting venues don't really save urban areas. Actually in Cleveland didn't Jacobs Field and Gund Arena turn the downtown area around there? I think the Wings and Pistons should be playing in the same arena too, there are many arenas that serve both the NBA and NHL in other cities and do fine. I never understood why the Pistons played outside of Detroit and not in an arena with the Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    I never understood why the Pistons played outside of Detroit and not in an arena with the Wings.
    Well, when they left the city they were playing in Cobo Arena. When the Palace was built, they would have had to play in the Joe in order to share a stadium. Davidson knew that both of those places sucked compared to what he was able to build himself. Anybody that decries the Palace can only do so because of its location. The fact is that there are arenas and stadiums built at the same time, heck even five to ten years afterward, which are considered functionally obsolete or have already been demolished. Outside of a location in the city, the only thing the Palace is missing is a good team.

Congratulations to my fellow MSU alum Tom Gores. It's too bad the Pistons won't be moving back downtown for the foreseeable future, but at least they now finally have the ownership problem resolved, and presumably this also helps the cash flow problem that has purportedly been holding them back sine Bill Davidson died. So, we can have some hope that things will begin to move in a positive direction on the floor and in the front office.

That is, if a lockout doesn't stop the whole NBA dead next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Well, when they left the city they were playing in Cobo Arena. When the Palace was built, they would have had to play in the Joe in order to share a stadium. Davidson knew that both of those places sucked compared to what he was able to build himself. Anybody that decries the Palace can only do so because of its location. The fact is that there are arenas and stadiums built at the same time, heck even five to ten years afterward, which are considered functionally obsolete or have already been demolished. Outside of a location in the city, the only thing the Palace is missing is a good team.
    He didn't build his own arena for 10 years after moving the Pistons out of Detroit though. He had the Pistons play in the Silverdome for 10 years, don't you think it would of been a better idea to play at the Joe rather than the Silverdome? The Silverdome was too big for football and especially for basketball. It's not like he built his own arena right away after leaving Detroit, he made the Pistons play at the Silverdome for 10 years, that was a joke. Actually for me the Palace is closer to my house than downtown Detroit is but I'd still rather have the Pistons play downtown. The Palace is a nice venue but it's really in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Gores was born in Israel, and i believe is of Lebanese descent.
    No, he's Jewish.

don't you think it would of been a better idea to play at the Joe rather than the Silverdome? The Silverdome was too big for football and especially for basketball. It's not like he built his own arena right away after leaving Detroit, he made the Pistons play at the Silverdome for 10 years, that was a joke.
    I thought I read somewhere that the reason they didn't play at the Joe was because the city wanted them to sign a long term [[30 years, maybe?) lease and Davidson didn't want to commit that long to a place he didn't own or have control over and most likely knew was too barebones for his taste anyways. I agree, the Silverdome sucked for basketball.

...There should be some shuttle buses that leave from downtown to the Palace and back..
    Is Gores looking to invest in anything city-of-Detroit related, via the Pistons or through one of his other companies?

bartock Guest

He didn't build his own arena for 10 years after moving the Pistons out of Detroit though. He had the Pistons play in the Silverdome for 10 years, don't you think it would of been a better idea to play at the Joe rather than the Silverdome? The Silverdome was too big for football and especially for basketball. It's not like he built his own arena right away after leaving Detroit, he made the Pistons play at the Silverdome for 10 years, that was a joke. Actually for me the Palace is closer to my house than downtown Detroit is but I'd still rather have the Pistons play downtown. The Palace is a nice venue but it's really in the middle of nowhere.
    I loved going to games at the Silverdome, but I was just a kid. Cheap seats, record attendance, full of regular people, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast