Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne County Port Authority Terminal

Does anyone know when the completion date is set for the Wayne County Port Authority? It had appeared that work had discontinued on it including the section of the riverwalk in front of it.

The reason why I am interested in the opening of the terminal is for it would create revenue for the city by passing ships docking at the riverfront. The terminal itself could create a few jobs. It would add to the excitement of the riverfront by having little shops and restaurants in it for riverwalkers and TOURISTS to shop and dine at. I hope that it doesn't take another whole summer for it to be completed

They certainly haven't stopped working on it. I've been watching that red crane lower pylons into the water for it seems like about 6 months now. They are even occasionally working on weekends. That said, I don't know what the completion date will be.

I really like this idea, but if I remember correctly it sounds like this could be a massive failure. I remember reading that the cruise ships they are hoping to attract currently do not stop in Detroit, have not agreed to start coming to Detroit once the dock gets built and have drastically cut their number of voyages in the last few years to the point where some ships have been relocated to other areas of the country.

I really hope I'm wrong, but from what I've heard it sounds like this thing will rarely get any use.

There's a cruise that stops in Wyandotte.

It's an expensive cruise, though. In these times, I'm not surprised to read they're scaling back operations

Haha, I just realized it also stops in Troy and Warren. Troy, NY and Warren, RI, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post

It's an expensive cruise, though. In these times, I'm not surprised to read they're scaling back operations
    The longest leg is in Michigan. Maybe that could be broken into another revenue-generating tourist rest stop.
    DAY 4: A full day of cruising takes you through scenic Lake Huron, the 2nd largest of the Great Lakes.

Ya I too like the idea but what makes anyone think a restaurant and shops will work there when they didnt at the Ren Cen? Like the whole mass transit argument. We're building portals for people to come here and there's nothing to do once they're here. We have to have people that WANT to be here and make this a city that others will want to come to.

Maybe Matty can lobby that he wants the Port Authority folks to buildi the new "public" bridge... that way it will likely take forever... very much as this terminal did.

Or am I being overcritical in the duration of the time it took to finish it [[once it's finished). Wasn't there some kind of drain or sewer line problem?

Otherwise... these folks may be racing with the people fixing up the United Artists Building.... as to who can procrastinate the longest.... LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post

One cruise is from Toronto to Chicago, with a stop each way in Windsor. So....don't go stealin' our buisness you guys lol

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Ya I too like the idea but what makes anyone think a restaurant and shops will work there when they didnt at the Ren Cen? Like the whole mass transit argument. We're building portals for people to come here and there's nothing to do once they're here. We have to have people that WANT to be here and make this a city that others will want to come to.
    Hey, if the cruise lines can make Labadee, Haiti work, maybe they could even make Detroit work as a cruise destination..

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The riverfront wasn't developed when the RenCen had actual shopping in it. People would shop at the shops at winter gardens if there were reasonably priced stores in the place. Jos A Bank is too expensive for the average person. People visits the Winter Gardens everyday only to find out that there in no shopping in this place besides a chocalate shop, jewelry shop, and an expensive mens suit store. The company who manages the RenCen is out of Houston so what do they care about allowing shops to open. The riverwalk attracts visitors from around the country and around the world. They would shop at a GAP, Chico, Guess, Ann Taylors or other stores if the stores were in the Winter Gardens. You have to build something here to give people something to do such as shopping or going to the movies and then the people will come. So yes, little shops and restaurants would do good in the Port Authority Terminal as well as the Winter Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Maybe Matty can lobby that he wants the Port Authority folks to buildi the new "public" bridge... that way it will likely take forever... very much as this terminal did.

Or am I being overcritical in the duration of the time it took to finish it [[once it's finished). Wasn't there some kind of drain or sewer line problem?

Otherwise... these folks may be racing with the people fixing up the United Artists Building.... as to who can procrastinate the longest.... LOL....
    No you are not being overcritical in the duration of the time it took to finish it. The Word Trade Centers construction began in 1966. In 1970 both 110 story towers were standing and almost completed. The two level port authority terminal started when.....2006 2007 and four years later they still working on the dock The money was there to build and complete it. No excuse of lack of money to complete it on time. It is just the beauracracy BS that causes simple projects years to complete.