Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is there a group or entity pushing right now for tri county Metropolitan Government?

I feel very strongly that what we need is metroplitan government on a tri county basis. Anything less is not what we need. For the past couple of months I have been throwing this thought at many people I know and come in contact with. The entire region knows we are in deep trouble. Many people and more than most think are favorably disposed to this solution. Is there a group working on exactly this?

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    I feel very strongly that what we need is metroplitan government on a tri county basis. Anything less is not what we need. For the past couple of months I have been throwing this thought at many people I know and come in contact with. The entire region knows we are in deep trouble. Many people and more than most think are favorably disposed to this solution. Is there a group working on exactly this?
    You can't push on a rope, and this is no different. It will have to be "sold" to the public and there will have to be perceived benefits for all. However, all of the successful "metro government" initiatives seem to have happened during periods of regional growth. How can it be pulled off here in an entire region that has been battered by stagnant growth and declining SEV's?

What a hoot that would be.

Under a Republican Governor; a drive to take away local control and grow government.

Why not? Engler laid the foundation through Prop A.

This is a great idea! Counties as Fifedoms.

Yea! LBP can finally have what he's been working for!

Not. Community character is important. Just because we're in a downturn doesn't mean we have to resort to harsh ideas just because it sound economically "right". The economy is turning around and there is no need for such rash consolidations. The last thing I would want is LBP and his Nazi police force patrolling my community.

The entire region knows we are in deep trouble
    The entire region does not know that. The people of the entire region have optimistic dispositions and low standards. Or at least low standards.

Leaving aside the question of whether this would even be a good idea, the citizenry isn't even vaguely ready for such a step. I would suggest that an area that can't manage to consolidate public transit in one agency is nowhere near regional government.

I've only ever heard of city-county mergers as progressive liberal ideas. It can be sold as a way of being more efficient and reducing government to republicans [[which is true), but it also centralized government and makes it easier to carry out liberal ideas.

I think some kind of tri county government would be great, since it would offcially tie everyone's fate together through things like taxes and services, would help fix problems that arise from income disparity, would end all of the inner region incentives, and would help encourage more healthy land use, easier transportation planning, easier regional planning for other regional ammenities like the convention center or dws.

I agree though will mwilbert, there's no way this is happening any time soon. I would be really surprised.
    Last edited by Jason; April-08-11 at 11:24 PM.

Ain't gonna happen.

There is no way at all the 'burbs will allow themselves to be associated with the city. People moved out of town for a reason and they won't allow themselves to be drawn back in by force.

Indianapolis did it in a sleepytime when a republican was mayor [[Lugar?). I believe they called it Indian-no-place. Nashville did it and Charlotte did it way before the south was booming. Talk to people. You will be surprised the varied people who would support it. I dont think LBP's shtick would resonate as well through the metro region.

This would be the quickest way to make "Suburbs Unsustainable?" become reality.

Many people have the assumption that a Metro government would be good for Detroit or think that Detroit would make out at the expense of the suburbs. But in many places, the core cities haven't prospered under a Metro government. There's often been a perception that suburban interests have used a Metro government to gain control of core city resources without sharing the burdens of the core city. Look at the Huron-Clinton Metroparks example. Detroit taxpayers have been paying into the system for 60 years. But not one of the Metro parks is located in the city and it could be argued that the suburbs and suburban residents have been the primary beneficiaries of the Metropark system.

http://www.metroparks.com/content.aspx?ID=19