Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Something Fishy in Midtown

Upon leaving work near the DMC [[John R and Forest) today at 6:30, I noticed that there was a strong "fish smell." Assuming it was wafting from Church's Chicken or a similar establishment, I was surprised to find it just as strong near Third and Canfield.

Anyone know what is causing the strange odor?

It's friday during Lent. All us Catholics are eating fried fish.

DetroitDad Guest

No, it smells horrible, like rotting fish. It appears to be coming from the trash incinerator.

It brought tears to my eyes, it was so strong. I think it was the incinerator too. Nasty, headache inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    No, it smells horrible, like rotting fish. It appears to be coming from the trash incinerator.
    Maybe Catholics aren't eating enough fried fish?

Eat faster! Eat faster!

Reminds me of the time I used to repair catch basins [[storm drains). Once upon a time we did a job behind a restaurant in Ann Arbor, whose staff apparently thought the drain out back was the perfect place to toss the fish heads-- Two feet of rotting, maggoty fish heads........ Ah, memories.

I didn't realize Detroit's prostitution problem was that bad.

Isn't this the Spring urrrp that sewers do after the melt off?

Pretty soon we should see the oil slick "from an unknown location" [[read: the sludge from all of the folks doing their oil changes over the sewer grates during the past fall and winter).

I thought I had gone crazy! Definitely smelled like awful rotting fish driving southbound on the m-10 at 94 today around 7:30. Didn't smell it a moment before, and couldn't smell it a few seconds later. so weird.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1158602785

not the first time its happened...

Well at least its not a gassy smell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Gu...ara_explosions

Between Catholics eating fish or not enough and hookers I got a good laugh out of this thread.

The blind man walked by the fish market: "Good morning ladies"----that's an old one

Up around Michigan and 20th or so, Hygrade meat used to have a large rendering plant there that processed meat left-overs. On a damp, foggy night, you could smell the rendering odor a mile away. It was an unpleasant, musty smell; very distinctive. Just driving by the place brought the odor into your car that lasted for a good ten miles. The plant was torn down about 1962 or so.

Ah, memories of Detroit!