Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Couple of Packard Plant Questions

In a previous posting ,in January, Packman 41 provided some photos of the plant & mentioned that the new addition [[1940"s) included a restaurant. But prior to that addition, was there a cafeteria/ restaurant for the employees? I know about the supermarket, on the south side of EGB, but there had to be somewhere to chow down; especially upper mgmt. My second question is about a " factory showroom". In the Making of Modern Michigan site, there were some pictures that were of a showroom. It looks as if this showroom was located, on the ground floor where the Arlens dept store was . On the south side of EGB, next to the covered walkway. Anybody have any info, on these 2 topics? Thanks.

Hello Georgem:

Yes, there were other cafeterias in the PMCC building. I only mentioned that one cafeteria as it was part of the new edition.

According to a well-researched article prepared for Winter 2009 edtion of The Packard Cormorant [[a national publication of the Packard Automobile Club) I count several other cafeterias or restraurants. And that was per an inventory taken in 1949. Remember the buildings were re-adapted nearly every year to accomodate a changing workflow.

I see a cafeteria listed in Building #13 aka Main Office Bldg. at 1580 EGB. There is also a cafeteria listed in building #37 - well south of EGB in the space leased to Briggs Body Co. The directory is too long to list here.

As for the showroom it is listed as being on the first floor of Building #13 along with a garage area for the showroom cars.

I would suggest you look up that issue of The Packard Cormorant at the NAHC within the Skillman Library downtown or buy a back issue #137 from the PAC for $8 from:

Carl and Barbara Schnieder
    11800 Black Pike
    New Carlisle, OH 45344

I believe building 13 is on the North side of Grand Blvd so Im assuming building 1 would be at the far South end, any ideas? What is the structure across the street/alley West of the main building, is that also considered the Packard, Im assuming it is because of the connecting skywalk that is still partially there. The West side is in such worse shape as the concrete is falling in on itself. I stopped exploring up there a few years back. You all still taking pics up there worry the shit out of me.I wouldnt be surprised that someday they dont pull some bones out of all that rubble someday.

Happy and Safe Packarding

Sorry, but I should have added the aerial photo from the previous thread for reference. See attached.Name:  PMCC Birdseye [[Large).jpg
Views: 5320
Size:  61.1 KB

Hmmm, so where does Palmer run? I would assume somewhere around #28 or somewhere around #31, or could it be as far south as 37. Im thinking 92 is the one which is falling down on itself.

Palmer runs parallel and south of EGB by one block. Just about in line with the W <= to => E directional arrow on the photo.

I was curious what # buildings it runs between Packman, but thanks.
    Last edited by Django; April-09-11 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Five O'Clock Vodka

Hello Django:

Following the W<= to =>E would take you more towards building #31. Building #37 is well south of Palmer.

Hi Django! I believe that # 37 is next to the one that was torn down last year. Thank You for the info Packman.

The Packard factory showroom was on the first floor of building #13, in between the two entrances over which had the word PACKARD etched in stone. The corresponding first floor across the street, where Arlen's was, was the company executive garage. The former A&P supermarket, on the south side of Grand Blvd, immediately west of Arlen's, was the site of the Packard power plant. It was built in 1910 and razed in 1958.

Dwight, just asking to clarify -- I always thought the top brass parked in that one-story building that connected the #13 administration building to the #1 manufacturing building?

12. Default

Packman41, is there a legend for that great aerial photograph that describes all those numbers?

I didn't realize that Dodge Main extended down that close to Packard.
    Is that Mt. Elliot in the upper right corner?

My mother worked for Packard from 1949-52.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Packman41, is there a legend for that great aerial photograph that describes all those numbers?
    Yes, the key and photo was part of an article publishedin the winter Issue 2009 of the Packard Automobile Classic [[PAC) "The Packard Cormorant"

The issue is available at the Skillman Library or you can get back issues from PAC.

It is such a great issue that I am working to get all the back issues shipped to the Packard Proving Grounds and have them for sale [[say about $10?) at teh gift shop there.

Some of the pictures that appear in "Making modern Michigan" which are scans of the original Packard Motor Car Company photographic files, now the property of the Detroit Public Library [[thanks to my late friend Dick Teague sneaking them out of Packard during "the last days in the bunker" 1956) feature cars on display at the factory dealership, which was at 574 E. Jefferson. It was a typical Packard dealership building, built in the 20s, very classically styled. There is a similar dealership building on Cass @ Burroughs that Wayne State owns now.
    The showroom @ EGB was very plain.

Regarding the Packard Factory Showroom : If you go to YouTube, and look up a video called : Inside the Packard Plant Part 1 by Scarface5991 , at about 4:45 minutes, you will see what is left of the showroom.

When were the windows substituted by glass bricks? I assume it was for security reasons or? Here is a photo from the Packard showroom at the factory.Name:  1954 Packard Factory showroom.jpg
Views: 8477
Size:  38.8 KB

the glass block was added in the 1960s, when the administration building became the offices of the social services department. I was in those offices doing some Packard-lore looking in 1981-'82 and they were very nicely kept and clean at that time.

OK, thanks! Always interesting to learn details like this. Is there any truth to the story that there was still Packard stuff left in some parts of the complex in the 80:s? I really have to get that back issue of the Packard Cormorant....

Hello Forwardlook:

I have been in London, UK for the past 10 days and will return soon. I will try and have The Cormorant issue at the Packard Proving Grounds giftshop by Sunday, June 12 when we will be holding the Cars-R-Stars show. Get your copy then.

There was a full working Bridgeport and 12' metal lathe still in building 92 on the main floor in about 2001. I dont remember seeing any Packard type cars or parts though, mainly just a couple of small RVs and a few boats and odd cars or trucks. Then again I only started exploring the Packard an about 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Hello Forwardlook:

I have been in London, UK for the past 10 days and will return soon. I will try and have The Cormorant issue at the Packard Proving Grounds giftshop by Sunday, June 12 when we will be holding the Cars-R-Stars show. Get your copy then.

Much appreciated but I live in Finland. I have to order that one, hope to visit Detroit during the Woodward Dream Cruise and stack up on info like this before that. Are there any activities on the Packard Proving Grounds the week before the Dream Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Forwardlook View Post
    Much appreciated but I live in Finland. I have to order that one, hope to visit Detroit during the Woodward Dream Cruise and stack up on info like this before that. Are there any activities on the Packard Proving Grounds the week before the Dream Cruise?
    Hello Forwardlook:

I just sent you a private message.

I guess the most part of the factory was empty since Packard left although there was a varying number of tenants over the years. The amount of security guards needed for the whole complex must have been quite big. When did the the real downhill start? My understanding is that things were still fairly decent in the late 80:s?

Packman41: Thanks

Things at the plant were fine until 1999, when the Archer administration, in concert with a Detroit industrial real estate wheeler-dealer conspired to seize the plant from the owners, who were in tax arrears. The protections that are set as law for owners, and the many opportunities that are afforded for a land owner to make good on their taxes were bypassed in the interest of grabbing some EPA superfund $$$$$ that were awarded through the state. The real estate speculator's son owned a demolition firm, so it was all very handy. The Archer administration evicted the 117 tenants the complex had, one stayed until last year. The city also had police officers guarding the complex--they did not guard against vandalism or theft, they basically were there to make sure the manager did not leave, and if he did, that he would never be allowed back in.
    The complex was in good basic condition, given its age, and lack of a deep-pocketed corporation to pay for proper upkeep. Everything bad that has happened is due to the city's backfired attempt to sieze the land from its owners and their failure to secure the structure during the 9 year dispute over ownership.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast