Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Michigan Citizens United---Thoughts on the campaign to recall Rick Snyder

Michigan Citizens United was incorporated as a political action committee this week with the express mission of getting a recall vote for the Governor's office.

1,000,000 petition signatures would be needed to instigate a recall election, meaning about 1/6, 1/7 people in Michigan [[with all the census talk on this board lately I'm surprised I don't know the current population of Michigan). Considering how low turnout was [[especially in urban centers) was in 2010, it could be do-able.

How the campaign for governor itself would go, however, is above my payscale.

I do like the name, its a play on the "Citizens United" Supreme Court case that took away any cap on corporate donations to political campaigns.

Here we go, Michigan.

I don't know, he was legitimately elected, and as governor he's doing the kind of stuff that he said he'd do.

In any election about half of the people are going to be unhappy with the results, and part of the other half will turn out to be unhappy if they didn't understand the candidate or if the candidate turned out differently than expected.

By the logic that this recall would follow, there would be a recall election for all elections, but that's not how elections are supposed to work.

Nothing in the original post indicates that the original poster [[or the organizing group that he mentions) knows the first thing about Michigan's recall laws, which stipulate that:
    a) recall petitions cannot be filed during a candidate's first six months in office
    b) a recall petition signature drive cannot begin until after the recall petition language is approved
    c) a successful recall petition drive needs valid signatures equal to 25% of the ballots cast in the previous gubernatorial election, which means they need approx. 25% x 3 million votes = 750,000 valid signatures [[which all have to be collected within a 90 day period)
    I don't think Snyder has to worry about any recall drives for quite some time.

The original poster said that the group was incorporating as a PAC I presume to prepare to do A,B and C from your post. If so the time to put the organization together is now. To assume that the organizing group doesn't know about the recall laws is an unfounded assumption on your part.

That having been said. I think recall elections are a waste of time and undermines the political process.Recalls should only be used in extreme situations. As much as I disagree with Snyder he feels he is doing right by Michigan and he was duly elected. Folks need to watch real closely what he is doing and see if what he is doing will create jobs. If he does fine, if he doesn't just remember to not fall for the next self-proclaimed millionare nerd who says "I know how to create jobs".

I myself think that this may be the time where a recall might just happen. I am about to the point that I can't stand going to work, All I hear is Rick Snyder this, Rick Snyder that,Blah Blah. In my opinon He has just thrown fuel on the fire. But the people spoke back in November, and a few wish they hadn't spoke for Snyder.

All for it.
    Can't happen soon enough.

There are consequences for actions.
    Who you voted for, and the actions you take while in office.

Shouldn't it be Michigan Crybabies United?

Seriously, did it ever occur to anybody that what he's proposing might actually *gasp* work? Maybe it won't, who knows, but unless someone here has a time machine and can prove it, let's at least give him a year or two to see what happens. I have reservations about many of the items he's proposing, but after seeing the last decade where we're the only freaking state in the union to lose population, I'm realistic enough to realize that change of the drastic variety is necessary.

Every candidate had their opportunity to lay out their ideas and the people voted that they wanted to try Snyder's way. The way it works is he gets four years to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Nothing in the original post indicates that the original poster [[or the organizing group that he mentions) knows the first thing about Michigan's recall laws, which stipulate that:
    a) recall petitions cannot be filed during a candidate's first six months in office
    b) a recall petition signature drive cannot begin until after the recall petition language is approved
    c) a successful recall petition drive needs valid signatures equal to 25% of the ballots cast in the previous gubernatorial election, which means they need approx. 25% x 3 million votes = 750,000 valid signatures [[which all have to be collected within a 90 day period)
    Right, the actual signature collection can't begin until July. I think, but organizing must be done beforehand. And 1,000,000 signatures are needed because the secretary of state usually will throw out about 1/4 signatures for legal/technical/not registered reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it.....I think they will get the signatures....I for one will be aggressively collecting them. I'd list all the people he is pissing off, but its easier to list those he is not....Businesses, well as long as its not the movie business anyway...oh yea and the Very Rich!!! It will affect you sooner or later.....just sayin!!

just imagine if all this recall passion and energy had been used during the actual election.

Seriously, give the guy a term in office. He has done nothing criminal. He was elected by a large margin to do exactly what he'd doing. Go back to the union hall and bitch, but please stop wasting everyones time.

A million signatures gathered in 90 days breaks down to 11,111 John Hancocks a day or 462 a hr or 7 point something a minute. Sounds like a rough row.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    just imagine if all this recall passion and energy had been used during the actual election.

Seriously, give the guy a term in office. He has done nothing criminal. He was elected by a large margin to do exactly what he'd doing. Go back to the union hall and bitch, but please stop wasting everyones time.
    Had he said during the campaign that he was going to tax pensions, take away money from schools, attack bargaining rights and take away tax incentives for movies and give that $900 million to businesses....he wouldn't be governor right now. So no I am not wasting time....just doing what we said we would.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A million signatures gathered in 90 days breaks down to 11,111 John Hancocks a day or 462 a hr or 7 point something a minute. Sounds like a rough row.
    You do know more than one person is collecting the signatures don't you? You need to rethink your math....divide that by 100's getting petitions and fanning out all over the state. FYI.....750,000 divided by 90 days is 8334.
    Last edited by Searay215; April-08-11 at 07:56 AM.

I voted for the governor because he had practical plans to eliminate the state's budget deficit and make Michigan more attractive to business. I think he is following through on those plans nicely.

Searay, Having a tiny bit of experience in the business of collecting signatures leads me to the conclusion that it is a difficult process. Maybe your vast knowledge on the subject leads you to think it will be easy.

Good luck with that.
    Last edited by gnome; April-08-11 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Had he said during the campaign that he was going to tax pensions, take away money from schools, attack bargaining rights and take away tax incentives for movies and give that $900 million to businesses....he wouldn't be governor right now. So no I am not wasting time....just doing what we said we would.
    good luck with that. Frankly the more money spent on doomed adventures, the better 2012 will be for the rest of us.

p.s. why is this thread even in the detroit section?

'' tax pensions, take away money from schools, attack bargaining rights and take away tax incentives for movies and give that $900 million to businesses ''

hmmmmmm that sounds like the public is going to get porked from school to retirement . Brilliant ! Thats what Republicans do

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    It isn't your time I'm concerned with, it's my taxpayer money.

One of the criticisms of Snyder during his campaign was that he said cuts would be "painful," but did not get into specifics. He did drop serious hints about the film incentives, and most could speculate about what the "deep cuts" and "friendlier business climate" meant. People voted, more people voted for him. Trying to get a "do-over" at the expense of other taxpayers is not what a recall is for.

Crowing about film incentives being taken away in the same sentence as crowing about added business incentives is arguing from both sides.

I smell a partisan argument, not a recall one. Is Snyder gonna do this on his own? No. Isn't there a legislature? Yes. Majority his party? Yes. Likelihood of getting much of this passed? One party that isn't mine has a majority...boo!...recall!!

I didn't like Granholm's re-election. I wanted DeVos to win just to get her out. That wasn't grounds for a recall.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    '' tax pensions, take away money from schools, attack bargaining rights and take away tax incentives for movies and give that $900 million to businesses ''

hmmmmmm that sounds like the public is going to get porked from school to retirement . Brilliant ! Thats what Republicans do

This doesn't make sense.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    This doesn't make sense.
    Which is why they are attempting to recall him.

Only 83 days, 2006 hours and 120,395 minutes till the fun begins......Recall the Nerd!!

When will we stop electing politicians that give entitlements to businesses? This is a classic case of redistributing the wealth from the poor and middle class to give handouts to the business sector. When the reverse happens, cons get all up in arms, but when it's the wealthy elite benefiting, that's good capitalism.

Maybe you can get all the teachers to call in sick to collect signatures. Thats what democracy looks like!

Vox Guest

Not only that, but Dave Camp of Michigan buys in to the same irrational thinking in terms of the United States budget as well. They want to drop the rate to 25%. How they will pay for this will be an attack on some middle class entitlements, such as the mortgage interest deduction, the deduction for charitable contributions and the exclusion for employer-provided health insurance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...reak-cuts.html

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Searay, Having a tiny bit of experience in the business of collecting signatures leads me to the conclusion that it is a difficult process. Maybe your vast knowledge on the subject leads you to think it will be easy.

Good luck with that.
    I too have had some experience collecting signatures and yes it is not easy.....but unless you try you won't know will you? Only time will tell.....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast