Name:  shed_4_-_interior_04__detail.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  40.1 KBName:  render_ext_02__detail.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  26.0 KB
    Name:  CAIR0BC1.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  13.3 KB

They're trying to model Eastern Market after the long departed festival market place - Trappers Alley. I'd have been happy if they'd just cleaned the market up and given services and incentives to businesses and building owners to convert to lofts and apartments instead of making another Trappers Alley, Paradise Valley, Washington Boulevard, etc, out of the place.

not to happy about this - if i wanted to shop someplace that looked like a supermarket - i would. I love the market just the way it is - leave well enuf alone.

I love it...reminds me of the great markets in Boston and Philly! It will be cool to be able to buy sandwiches and so forth from the place.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I love it...reminds me of the great markets in Boston and Philly! It will be cool to be able to buy sandwiches and so forth from the place.

Stromberg2
    +1 . This looks great. Had no idea they were going that far with the renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post

Stromberg2
    Then why don't you take a ride out to a Hiller's or Whole Foods in West Bloomfield or Ann Arbor? City Hall ruined Trappers Alley by attempting to make it an 'upscale' festival market place. Now they're meddling with Eastern Market. Not only will it not become 'Yuppieized' [[those people don't like and won't patronize Detroit on a regular basis), they'll upscale beyond the multitudes of ethnic and working class people who can afford to shop there.

Plans for the grant, payable over two years, will allow Eastern Market to develop the community kitchen as an hub for food entrepreneurs, in a city where access to commercial kitchen space can be difficult to find. They also hope to increase access to locally grown and processed healthy foods.

"It's going to serve as an incubator for people, especially Detroiters, who want to start their own niche food processing business. It's a good way to not only support the local food system, but to create jobs," says the Erb Foundation's Jodee Fishman Raines.

It's also a way to make better use of produce and other perishables that can go to waste -- fruit that can't be sold can still be pickled or jarred, for example. There will be food demonstrations and workshops encouraging healthy eating, plus the community kitchen can be rented out by groups.
    From Model D article.

I wasn't aware that Hillers or Whole Foods operated those types of services.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Then why don't you take a ride out to a Hiller's or Whole Foods in West Bloomfield or Ann Arbor? City Hall ruined Trappers Alley by attempting to make it an 'upscale' festival market place. Now they're meddling with Eastern Market. Not only will it not become 'Yuppieized' [[those people don't like and won't patronize Detroit on a regular basis), they'll upscale beyond the multitudes of ethnic and working class people who can afford to shop there.
    It'll be "hipsterized" before it becomes "Yuppieized" and hipsters do patronize Detroit on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    From Model D article.

I wasn't aware that Hillers or Whole Foods operated those types of services.
    Those parts may be for the good. I don't believe the commercial markets offer those services. Why not just build those apart from tearing down or rebuilding parts of Eastern Market that are viable now? You also have commercial foodservice programs at existing schools. Why not utilize those instead of displacing them and putting them at EM?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    It'll be "hipsterized" before it becomes "Yuppieized" and hipsters do patronize Detroit on a regular basis.
    For most part, my experience with 'Hipsters' is they don't have a lot of money either. Will they be displaced?

bartock Guest

Pardon the pun, but isn't that an organic, non profit group?

Sorry, I didn't get the pun. ZZzzzzzzz, right over my head. Help me out.

City Hall ruined Trappers Alley by attempting to make it an 'upscale' festival market place. Now they're meddling with Eastern Market.
    City Hall does not operate Eastern Market. EM is operated by the Eastern Market Corporation.

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=1&s=8

Quote Originally Posted by beanietek View Post
    leave well enuf alone.
    ahhh the all too familiar battle cry of Detroit.

not to happy about this - if i wanted to shop someplace that looked like a supermarket - i would. I love the market just the way it is - leave well enuf alone.
    Looks like Ikea to me.

I've been to Reading Market in Philly. It is a different place in that it is in the Central Business District's Chinatown area. This allows it to function at peak capacity 7 day a week. It does not have the warehouse and slaughtering that happens at Eastern Market. It is also not ringed by lots of great specialty stores like Rocky's or Hirt's.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    City Hall does not operate Eastern Market. EM is operated by the Eastern Market Corporation.

This is what I meant, KielsonDrive. The non-profit operates EM. It didn't go over your head, it was just:

a. Not properly stated to be a pun.

b. Not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post

Like there's much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    ahhh the all too familiar battle cry of Detroit.
    And just as valid of an opinion in many cases as the opposite. Leave it alone. Wreck it. Change it. Tear it down. Rebuild it. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Philly has Italian Market, which is sort of like Eastern Market with lots of produce vendors and specialty shops. Most cities have a farmers market or large produce market. But yeah, EM is unique and the shed 4 project just enhances it because there will be so many offerings in one district. Hopefully the public market will start opening more days and new shops and housing open around the district.

GUSHI Guest

Looks very nice

For most part, my experience with 'Hipsters' is they don't have a lot of money either. Will they be displaced?
    They may not have a lot of money but they'll still spend it here.

What is wrong with you guys? This looks like a beautiful project. It will provide all Detroiters with a lot of great new opportunities for learning & shopping. EM is one of our core areas and it deserves the renovations and investment that it is seeing. Just because it is coming from the top down does not mean that it is bad. Do you really think these improvements will turn away regular Detroiters? It's not like they're going to start charging an entrance fee. I think these additions and improvements will help attract even more people.

How exactly would you like to see EM improved? Leave all the dumpy sheds untouched and under-utilized? The current indoor & outdoor shed restorations have been a tremendous improvement over what was there before, and they have not changed the character or genuineness of the district in the least. In fact, they've added to it.

Did you read the model d article? The pictures make it look like a whole foods but the idea behind it is to create jobs in the food industry by allowing people to perform commercial type food preparations. If you like the outdoor, feeling visit the other 4 sheds in the market. Plus I think this is helping the market to have more slection during the cold months where it does in fact suck to shop outside.

And about the yuppies. Have you seen the clientele at the market lately? That's what makes the market survive! There are enough people to buy the peppers 5 for $2 but you need the people to buy the $10 pickels and the organic granola too, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    They may not have a lot of money but they'll still spend it here.
    I certainly hope you are correct.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast