Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study

No surprises here but it's a recent confirmation of what most expected, I think.

Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study
    Liberals have more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear, said the study on Thursday in Current Biology.

"We found that greater liberalism was associated with increased gray matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex, whereas greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala," the study said....

People with a large amygdala are "more sensitive to disgust" and tend to "respond to threatening situations with more aggression than do liberals and are more sensitive to threatening facial expressions," the study said.
    • Anterior cingulate cortex
    • Right amygdala
      Additional studies have shown a link between the amygdala and schizophrenia, noting that the right amygdala is significantly larger than the left in schizophrenic patients.

That's because Liberal's brains have evolved over million of years. Conservative's brains were created a little more than a few thousand years ago. Ain't had time to catch up.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; April-08-11 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    That's because Liberal's brains have evolved over million of years. Conservative's brains were created a little more than a few thousand years ago. Ain't had time to catch up.

that is so great...

Yes conservatives are bad. Waaahhh! Liberals are so great. Yay!

Give me a fucking break. Its like the Liberal Party of Canada and their bullshit "the natural governing" party. Elitism knows no bounds and the liberals are just as full of shit as the conservatives in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    that is so great...
    Agree.....

The findings of this study are based on a small sample size of 90 individuals and cognitive neuroscientists at other universities are having difficulty trying to replicate the findings.

It seems that the many of the volunteers who are reporting their political views as being very liberal are balking at the medical procedure needed to remove their heads from their asses prior to the brain scan.

This study is stupid.

Being a Conservative or a Liberal has more to do with you your financial backers are [[and your local voter base) than the sizes of areas in your brain. "Increased and decreased area sizes" of the brain? Come on. Give me a break.

And do conservatives process more fear because their brains are made that way from birth or because they listen to frightening sermons and media? Studies have shown that parts of the brain are stunted by violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Ge0fWvgr8

" And there'll be no butter in hell!"
    Last edited by maxx; April-08-11 at 12:01 PM.

What does your educational resume contain if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    This study is stupid.

Being a Conservative or a Liberal has more to do with you your financial backers are [[and your local voter base) than the sizes of areas in your brain. "Increased and decreased area sizes" of the brain? Come on. Give me a break.
    Agreed. But it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    What does your educational resume contain if I may ask?
    Ummm.... 3 years of colage [[making), couple of years of study at NASCAR, drugs, booze and wimmin. Advanced studies of internet posting. Multiple certifications from DeHoCo. I gots a pritty impresuv edumacational background.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    This study is stupid.

Not everyone is a political candidate therefore, not everyone is concerned about financial backing for themselves. And yet, many noncandidates self-identify as conservative or liberal.

I believe its the part of the brain that dictates your dominate personality. I would think that person with a strong Social Darwinism streak in them would be conservative. The stronger, the more right wing.

this is one of the funniest statements i've seen here in a while! love it.

According to the "study" of 90 "young adults",

"Liberals have more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear"
    Assuming this is true, then one would expect that a politician who openly plays on the fears of the electorate must be a conservative who is either looking for votes or defending their legislative position - right?

Quick - somebody schedule a brain scan and transplant for this "piece of work":

Rep. Louise Slaughter [[D-NY) Says The GOP Freshmen Wants To Kill Women

I think it's pretty clear who here is responding with fear and disgust and aggression and who seems measured and curious. Hey, who needs a CAT scan?

Talking about religious teachings inciting fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNpk2...ure=grec_index

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    According to the "study" of 90 "young adults",

Assuming this is true, then one would expect that a politician who openly plays on the fears of the electorate must be a conservative who is either looking for votes or defending their legislative position - right?

Quick - somebody schedule a brain scan and transplant for this "piece of work":

Rep. Louise Slaughter [[D-NY) Says The GOP Freshmen Wants To Kill Women
    I'll see you Louise Slaughter and raise you George W. Bush and Dick Cheney with their color warning symbols, Hank Paulson with his end of the economy and Sarah Palin with her death panels.
    Last edited by maxx; April-08-11 at 04:59 PM.

Let's speculate about the cerebral features of the politician who made the following comments about the 2011 US Budget Continuing Resolution being proposed by the Republican House leadership:

"This is the functional equivalent of bombing innocent civilians.......
    It’s time that the District of Columbia told the Congress to go straight to hell.....
    The Republicans are saying 'You don't count as American citizens'....”
    What size 'right amygdala' do you think Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton possesses? What size 'right amygdala' does she think her constituents possess?

So Norton's fears of the new misery to be endured by poor people because of the proposed cuts to Planned Parenthood, WIC, childhood immunizations and Head Start are unfounded?

Referring to Republicans and suggesting that even some Democrats have 'increased volume of the right amygdala '.

"Now, they're here to kill women"
    "It's sort of like an old Nazi German movie"
    -U.S. Rep. Louise Slaughter [[D., N.Y.).

Finally a scientific study that explains the problem with America.

Liberals are analytical, while conservative are fear mongers.

So who do you follow?

Me thinks the conservatives believe it is the conservation of grey matter that moves us forward and the liberal expansion of thought that keeps liberals progressing ... lol just kidding ..hey you guys have Glen Beck we have the rest of the thinking public..

Pretty much all politicians, regardless of party or position on the conservative vs. liberal scale, play to people's fear. The different sides simply pick different fears to play upon [[or prey upon).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast