Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comedy clubs in Detroit?

I went to college in Chicago for two years and while living there I developed a HUGE love for improv comedy. After I moved back to the area, I looked for Metro Detroit comedy clubs and was sad to see such a lack of them, and a huge lack of improv-focused clubs.

What are the best places to see improv comedy in Detroit?

Comedy is such a huge attraction in Chicago and New York and there is no reason we can't have high-caliber places to enjoy the art of comedy.

I used to be a regular at Bea's Comedy Kitchen downtown on Larned , haven't been there in quite some time so I don't know if she's still open . I think they were open for lunches and in the evening they had comedy . [[maybe just on the weekends ?) I remember a couple of local comediens were regulars , Sheila Kaye , Downtown Tony Brown . A guy my wife and I worked with did alittle stand-up there but his main job was introducing the comediens . My wife went to school [[Birmingham Seaholm ) with Mike Binder [[ he did a couple of shows at Bea's) and he later went to Hollywood and made a couple of movies , HBO series etc. . Call ahead and make sure these few clubs are even open anymore .

http://www.detroit.com/nightlife/comedy-clubs.html

Sorry for the hijack, but is Second City in Novi dead?

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    As a former regular, Second City was dead to me the second they left the corner of Woodward and Montcalm.

Are you looking only for clubs in the city limits? If not, there are some great places. [[Says this comic and improvisor...)

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    There is no standing Second City in Metro Detroit anymore. They used to be at the theater in Hockeytown Cafe, but then moved to Novi for a few years before they ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy P. View Post
    Are you looking only for clubs in the city limits? If not, there are some great places. [[Says this comic and improvisor...)
    I know of one improv club [[Go Comedy in Ferndale), but I was looking to see if there are any clubs in the city limits I have never heard about. Improv is an amazing art and we should not let it disappear since the Second City left

I believe there are a couple good places in Downtown Ann Arbor, can't recall the names though

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchalmers View Post
    I know of one improv club [[Go Comedy in Ferndale), but I was looking to see if there are any clubs in the city limits I have never heard about. Improv is an amazing art and we should not let it disappear since the Second City left
    Planet Ant in Hamtramck. Monday nights. Many Second city alums play there. Great place, great people.

While your checking out Improv in Detroit , Drew Carey will be hosting a new show on GSN [[Game Show Network) similiar to '' Whose Line Is It Anyways '' with most of the cast from that show , the show is called Improv A Ganza and starts this Monday . Check your cable/satellite provider listings for times .

http://tv.gsn.com/shows/improv/