Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Turns out it was Emmert with an 'r'. Found another thread that mentioned them.
    Emmert Chevrolet was on the northwest corner of Grandriver and Vaughan. My Aunt and Uncle lived two houses north of Grandriver across the street from the dealership. My brothers and I would cross the street when visiting and look at the new models of Corvettes, Chevelle SS and so forth through the fence. Stan Emmert lived behind my parents house in Redford Township in the Western Golf sub

Fulton Chevy on Gratiot? No, Funston Chevy, Gratiot near Houston-Whittier. Also VerHoven Chevy, McNichols and VanDyke, Merollis Chevy on Gratiot and 8 1/2 Mile, and Stark Hickey Ford on Gratiot near 10 Mile. Earl Orr's Hodges Dodges, home of the Ramchargers on Woodward [[9 Mile, 10 Mile, not sure).

Les Stanford, the Corvette King on Michigan Avenue, still advertises monthly in the Dupont Registry.

And then the commercials: Roy O'Brien for sure but also:
    "Coon Brothers, Plymouth Road and Telegraph."
    "Get it at Leo Leo Leo Aaadler."
    Allan Ford and "Here dog, c'mon dog, me and dog go down Telegraph Road, get a good deal, right now." Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    Emmert Chevrolet was on the northwest corner of Grandriver and Vaughan. My Aunt and Uncle lived two houses north of Grandriver across the street from the dealership. My brothers and I would cross the street when visiting and look at the new models of Corvettes, Chevelle SS and so forth through the fence.
    No Vettes now. Not even a fence.

Name:  No_Vettes.JPG
Views: 1925
Size:  56.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No Vettes now. Not even a fence.

Name:  No_Vettes.JPG
Views: 1925
Size:  56.4 KB

Tore it down for a Burger King eh..? I wonder if it was used for something else, prior to the Burger King? Man, I love this old thread.

[QUOTE= Merollis Chevy on Gratiot and 8 1/2 Mile, Earl Orr's Hodges Dodges, home of the Ramchargers on Woodward [[9 Mile, 10 Mile, not sure).[/QUOTE]

Still buy my cars from Gene's nephew Carl over at Sellers in Farmington Hills. Gene was also a member of Western Golf &C.C. along with Howard Rigg, Louis Emmert, Pat Milliken, Don Barrett[[Rollie Barrett Chrysler-Plymouth,Walter Beglinger[[Beglinger Oldsmobile)and Earl Vivier [[Vivier Oldsmobile) I worked with Earl Orr when I sold cars in Dearborn. Earl's last gig selling cars was at Westborn Chrysler at Michigan and Outer Drive. His son Jim was the G.M. at the time. Earl always reminded me of Groucho Marx. And as I stir my memory, Emmert was on both sides of Vaughan with a physical address of 20000 Grand river
    Last edited by jfk; December-27-18 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Just curious, where did you buy the BSA ? My 69 Lightning came from Andy Pelc on Eureka in Southgate.I also had a 68 Road Runner bought from Bistran C-P also on Eureka in Wyandotte.
    Earl Buck Company, Dequindre between Eight and Nine Mile Roads. This was in the spring of '68. I didn't like a lot of the styling changes of the 68, preferred the 67. He had 66's and 67's in the crate yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Bet you wish you got that Roadrunner. They are worth big bucks now.
    I'd have beaten that into the ground like a rented mule just like I did to the BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    I'd have beaten that into the ground like a rented mule just like I did to the BSA.
    I hear ya,

Way after this thread was started, but I found some of my grandfather's old receipts from HUSAK BROTHERS in the early '60s. Awesome to see. I didn't know he owned a pickiup truck in 1960, but I just learned that fact. My dad always told me how "Grampa" loved his Studebakers, and the Husaks were he favorite guys. Another family tradition is the WARHOLAK sons/brothers just east of Wyoming on McGraw. It was SO much fun to see this thread tonight. Here is an image from one of the receipts. I have many more, but they're no more interesting than this one.
    Name:  fixed.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  292.5 KBName:  image1.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  221.7 KB

What dealerships were on Gratiot between 7 and 8 mile rd?

Haney Datsun, later Haney Nissan. Wood Imports [[VW, Mercedes, Audi)

Designed by Theodore Rogvoy. Wagner Oldsmobile Incorporated, 9001 Woodward Avenue built 1948-1949 Piety Hill Neighborhood, Detroit, MI. Includes a rendering of the building from a 1948 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Current Status: unknown to me
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Designed by Albert Kahn. Miller Judd Motor Sales Building, 5454 Cass Avenue built in 1929 Midtown, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from Indiana University's Building a Nation: Indiana Limestone Photograph Collection, circa 1930.

Currently part of Wayne State University.

Designed by George D. Mason & Company. Michigan Motor Sales, 3632-3634 Woodward Avenue built in 1908 Midtown, Detroit, MI.

Demolished: Date unknown to me
    Image from the Burton Historical Collection, circa 1908.

Designed by Bonnah & Chaffee. Cadillac Motor Car Company Sales and Service Building, 3180 East Jefferson built 1923-1924 Rivertown Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from Indiana University's Building a Nation: Indiana Limestone Photograph Collection, date unknown.

Designed by Albert Kahn. Packard Motor Car Company Retail Sales Building 574 East Jefferson built 1923-1924 Detroit, MI.

Demolished: Sometime around 1959 or 1960
    Image from the Burton Historical Collection, circa 1920's.

Designed by Rogers, Bonnah & Chaffee. Peter J. Platte Motor Sales Company, 14801-14825 East Jefferson Avenue built in 1919 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District, Detroit, MI.

Extensive alterations

This building is considered to be the first dedicated automobile sales and service building built in the United States.
    Designed by Mason & Kahn for Henry B. Joy. The four story addition designed by Albert Kahn for Henry B. Joy in 1903. William E. Metzger Automobile Dealership, 409 East Jefferson Avenue built in 1902 Downtown, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from archives of Joseph G. DuMouchelle circa 1902, and an image of the building from the Burton Historical Collection, circa 1940's.

Designed by Charles N. Agree. Marmon Motor Car Company Sales and Service Building, 5800 Cass Avenue built in 1928 Wayne State University, Detroit, MI.

Designed by Samuel E. Remey. Kessler Sales & Service dealers of Chevrolet Motor Cars. 3830 West Vernor built in 1923 Detroit, MI.

Demolished: unknown to me
    Image from a 1924 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Designed by Albert Kahn. Packard Motor Car Company Sales and Service 8500 Woodward Avenue built 1924-1925 Detroit, MI. Includes an article/photograph of the building from 1925 edition of the Detroit Free Press.

Image of the building from Indiana University's Building a Nation: Indiana Limestone Photograph Collection, circa 1930.

Designed by Albert Kahn.
    Lincoln Sales and Service 3700 East Jefferson built in 1930 Rivertown, Detroit, MI.

Image of the building from Indiana University's Building a Nation: Indiana Limestone Photograph Collection, date unknwon.

Designed by J. Leonard Rush. T. A. Grissom Chevrolet 19000 Joy Road built in 1952 Franklin Park, Detroit, MI. Includes Images of 19000 Joy Road from a 1953 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Currently U-Haul-Self storage.

Designed by Albert Kahn. Packard Sales and Service Building, 15205 East Jefferson built in 1929 Grosse Pointe Park, MI. Includes a rendering of the building from the archives of the Detroit Historical Society, circa 1920's.

Demolished: 1997
    Image from the archives of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society circa 1980.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast