Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Could Borders move to Detroit?

Borders Group Inc. is expected to outline a $30 million savings plan today in New York that include moving its Ann Arbor headquarters to Metro Detroit, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    Borders officials will present their business plan to an unsecured creditors committee as the company operates under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and prepares to release the reorganization plan, according to the newspaper.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110406/...#ixzz1IkAjPr37
    I would hate to see them leave Ann Arbor. But I always thought they would move to New York if they ever left Ann Arbor, so I guess it's some good news that they do plan to stay local. Could they go downtown?

I doubt it, they are not downtown now but in a suburban office park. If the point is to save money, you don't move somewhere that would require your workers to drive a long distance and have to provide paid parking. Most likely Borders is eying some space in a Western Suburb. There is a lot of space in Laurel Park and Victor Park that they can get cheap. My guess is they will go to Laurel Park as they still have a Border's Express.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I doubt it, they are not downtown now but in a suburban office park. If the point is to save money, you don't move somewhere that would require your workers to drive a long distance and have to provide paid parking. Most likely Borders is eying some space in a Western Suburb. There is a lot of space in Laurel Park and Victor Park that they can get cheap. My guess is they will go to Laurel Park as they still have a Border's Express.
    How far the workers drive is not on their company balance sheets... Neither is parking costs for that matter. But if the tax burden in Detroit was significantly less than what it is in Ann Arbor [[hypothetical, I don't know what the tax burden is in Ann Arbor), parking costs for employees would be a drop in the bucket.

Detroit might give them some temporary tax breaks, as has been done with other companies, like Compuware and Quicken.

NorthEndere Guest

I bet you they'll probably end up somewhere in Canton, most likely.

Do they currently own or lease? I ask, because the move only makes sense if they are currently leasing in metro Ann Arbor.

Does anyone think Book, Video or Music stores will exist 10 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    How far the workers drive is not on their company balance sheets... Neither is parking costs for that matter. But if the tax burden in Detroit was significantly less than what it is in Ann Arbor [[hypothetical, I don't know what the tax burden is in Ann Arbor), parking costs for employees would be a drop in the bucket.
    If the company wants to retain employees it is part of the equation. Its not so much a tax burden but the overall costs that the company is looking at. With so much empty office space they really have a wide range of options. There is also a lot of empty space in the Ann Arbor area, and by metro Detroit they could just as well mean Pittsfield township as well as Downtown Detroit.

Don't count your chickens yet, thats all I am saying.

I doubt Detroit will give them tax breaks. The whole industry is not going to be the same. If the City gives anyone in that industry tax breaks it should be John King.

Borders does not fully own the buildings they are in. There are other companies in some of the space that they have given up already.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-06-11 at 08:09 AM.

I would hate to see them leave Ann Arbor. But I always thought they would move to New York if they ever left Ann Arbor, so I guess it's some good news that they do plan to stay local. Could they go downtown?
    If they were a viable company, perhaps that would be a discussion to have. What they are looking for is the cheapest available space for the eventual wind down no matter what the press release says about re-org.

Borders HQ should move to Detroit, there should be plenty of empty office spaces, maybe partner up with Dan Gilbert's Quicken operations..

I just hope they survive. That seems to be the critical concern right now.

They are doomed, so it doesn't much matter where they go.

A lot of people seem to think it is more fun to physically browse for books than to get them online, so I expect there will be some kind of bookstores. Video seems almost gone already. There will probably be some kind of collector music stores, but I wouldn't expect them to be much of a factor in any other segment of that market.

Good from the them. They can start by renting some of the offices in OCP Compuware and re-open its bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If the company wants to retain employees it is part of the equation. Its not so much a tax burden but the overall costs that the company is looking at. With so much empty office space they really have a wide range of options. There is also a lot of empty space in the Ann Arbor area, and by metro Detroit they could just as well mean Pittsfield township as well as Downtown Detroit.

Don't count your chickens yet, thats all I am saying.

I doubt Detroit will give them tax breaks. The whole industry is not going to be the same. If the City gives anyone in that industry tax breaks it should be John King.

Borders does not fully own the buildings they are in. There are other companies in some of the space that they have given up already.
    Pittsfield Twp is no more Metro Detroit than Ann Arbor.

This is a company that will probably go through significant downsizing on top of the cuts that have already been made at the HQ over the past couple of years. In a state with well above average unemployment, I doubt they have to bribe employees to follow them by paying for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    If they were a viable company, perhaps that would be a discussion to have. What they are looking for is the cheapest available space for the eventual wind down no matter what the press release says about re-org.
    If they are planning to liquidate then they wouldn't be talking about leaving Ann Arbor.

I wonder if they plan to dissolve their HQ lease as part of their bankruptcy filing, hence why they plan to move.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Until a Kindle allows you to dogear and highlight pages, quickly find a passage, and doesn't wreck your eyes with its artificial light...

Until a compressed download played through plastic computer speakers can match the sound quality of a disc on a proper stereo...

there will be book and music stores. Hell, we still have live music and theatre don't we? The young whippersnappers overestimate their confidence in all things digital.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Until a Kindle allows you to dogear and highlight pages, quickly find a passage, and doesn't wreck your eyes with its artificial light...
    The Kindle does let you dogear and highlight pages. Also, skimming through a book to a specific spot is quite easy.

As far as the whole wrecking your eyes thing, I don't know where that is coming from. The Kindle is not the IPad. One of the main selling points of the Kindle is that instead of using a standard style computer screen to display the text it uses "E-ink". The end result is an image that produces text that looks similar to print and does not have the issues of eye strain that you find on computer screens.

Looks like we can cross off book stores.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    The Kindle does let you dogear and highlight pages. Also, skimming through a book to a specific spot is quite easy.

As far as the whole wrecking your eyes thing, I don't know where that is coming from. The Kindle is not the IPad. One of the main selling points of the Kindle is that instead of using a standard style computer screen to display the text it uses "E-ink". The end result is an image that produces text that looks similar to print and does not have the issues of eye strain that you find on computer screens.

Sure! Why browse for books when you can just purchase from the pre-approved list?

As soon as we let all media go exclusively into electronic format, it's that much easier for our corporate masters to determine the media they will let us access. I'm no conspiracy nut--just a bit hesitant to turn every waking moment of my life over to the seven corporations that run the world and sit in my isolated box where I can download every comfort known to man.

Blaming the downfall of Borders on electronic media is disingenuous. The same has been said of the entire music industry, who has given us almost nothing but shitty plastic pre-fab "artists" for the past 20 years. Rather than go into digital flag-waving mode, might we consider that some of these companies expanded too quickly? Had high overhead? Gave us shitty product and service? Crappy business plan? Catered to the wrong demographic? Too much inventory?

Those of us who remember the 1980s might recall the idea that digital synthesizers were going to dispense with the need for any other musical instrument. Why buy an entire drum kit when you can bang the hell out of some cheap plastic pads?

I love Borders, and I hope they survive, but I'm not convinced that their stores were sized appropriately, nor were they always located too well.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; April-06-11 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post

I don't think this is a referendum on bookstores so much as on the Borders business model. Borders reminds me of K Mart in that 1) they probably have way too many stores and 2) were slow to react to changing consumer tastes. And point one exacerbated the implications of point two.

I can point to examples of brick and mortar book stores, such as Strand in NYC, that are not competing in the e-book business but still seem to be weathering the storm. And Strand doesn't have nearly the resources to compete against B&N/Amazon that Borders does/did.

I don't think this is a referendum on bookstores so much as on the Borders business model. Borders reminds me of K Mart in that 1) they probably have way too many stores and 2) were slow to react to changing consumer tastes. And point one exacerbated the implications of point two.
    Bingo! Kmart bought Borders around 1990 and took it from about 20 stores to several hundred then merged it with Waldenbooks. It was also one of the first things they dropped when they repositioned themselves. Along with Builder's Square, Office Max, PACE warehouse, Sports Authority...)

How many people currently work at the Borders HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    How many people currently work at the Borders HQ?
    They are down to about 500 according to Freep.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-06-11 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added source.

I can point to examples of brick and mortar book stores, such as Strand in NYC, that are not competing in the e-book business but still seem to be weathering the storm. And Strand doesn't have nearly the resources to compete against B&N/Amazon that Borders does/did.
    I don't think so either. I was just being snarky because Ghettopalmetto was so unbelievably off on what the Kindle does and doesn't do. I have a Kindle and I really enjoy it because I simply don't have room to store all the books I read and I'm a packrat when it comes to books. I don't see books ever going away entirely, but I think e-readers will continue to be a growing and vital part of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Sure! Why browse for books when you can just purchase from the pre-approved list?

As soon as we let all media go exclusively into electronic format, it's that much easier for our corporate masters to determine the media they will let us access. I'm no conspiracy nut--just a bit hesitant to turn every waking moment of my life over to the seven corporations that run the world and sit in my isolated box where I can download every comfort known to man.

Blaming the downfall of Borders on electronic media is disingenuous. The same has been said of the entire music industry, who has given us almost nothing but shitty plastic pre-fab "artists" for the past 20 years. Rather than go into digital flag-waving mode, might we consider that some of these companies expanded too quickly? Had high overhead? Gave us shitty product and service? Crappy business plan? Catered to the wrong demographic? Too much inventory?

Those of us who remember the 1980s might recall the idea that digital synthesizers were going to dispense with the need for any other musical instrument. Why buy an entire drum kit when you can bang the hell out of some cheap plastic pads?

I love Borders, and I hope they survive, but I'm not convinced that their stores were sized appropriately, nor were they always located too well.
    I disagree with your take on modern music. At least in the context of what you were describing. While I absolutely agree that the music "industry" has produced an epic, steaming pile of crap in recent decades, the access to quality, diversified, entertaining music has never been greater. This is thanks, in large part to the internet and digital media. The reasons are two-fold

In the old days, the only way for music to gain exposure was through the radio. Today, radio is but one place to get music from. Satellite radio, online streaming music like Pandora, and a host of other internet locations have made access to any and all genres of music a mere click away. This expands the amount of choices for the music consumer.

For the artists themselves, advances in technology have lowered the production costs of recording music. Combine that with the ability to put their music out on the internet and suddenly the garage band that would have just stayed in the garage 20 years ago can promote itself to the entire world.

Artistically, we are in a very interesting time for music. Traditional music sources [[radio and television) have never been more corporate, but alternate means of exposure for smaller acts and non-corporate music styles have never been more powerful and accessible to the masses.

Perhaps the same will happen with e-books over time. Perhaps they won't. However, to simply say that new technology like e-books is just another sign of "oppression by the man" is a very chicken little view of the world in my opinion.

It could bode well for their brand to relocate to Downtown Detroit. It could provide a fresh boost of energy for their employees as well. They could design their office similar to Quicken [[casual/silicon valley style with couches and soda stations) to encourage employee innovation and social interaction. And they could open a new flagship store that is oriented around the multimedia and the internet. Plus, rent is cheap Downtown and I'm sure they would get the cheapest possible tax rate of anyplace in the US. Plus, it is only 45 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor, so thats not too much of a drive, and many of their employees [[only 500 of them) could move to the city. It is all part of rebranding the city as a high tech innovation city, rising from the ashes of post-industrial collapse.

Whatever is being smoked by many of the posters on this thread.... I want some.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast