Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Light rail produces a burst of development, but not everywhere

By: Philip Langdon

New Urban Network

The Denver, Charlotte, and Minneapolis-St. Paul regions all opened new light-rail lines between 2004 and 2007, aiming to enhance their transportation systems and at the same time encourage efficiently-placed real estate development.

They got much of what they were looking for. “All three transit lines experienced a tremendous amount of new development” — 6.7 million square feet along the Twin Cities’ Hiawatha Line, 7.8 million square feet along Denver’s Southeast Corridor, and 9.8 million square feet served by Charlotte’s Blue Line, says a new report from the Center for Transit-Oriented Development.

The 80-page analysis, Rails to Real Estate: Development Patterns Along Three New Transit Lines, says residential construction came on particularly strong. In the Twin Cities, 86 percent of the development near the 12-mile Hiawatha Line was housing. In Denver, 68 percent was housing, and in Charlotte, 54 percent.

But if anyone expected development to crop up at every station, there was cause for disappointment. Transit-oriented development [[TOD) concentrated primarily in areas that already had plenty of jobs or amenities to offer.

Seventy-two percent of development along the Hiawatha Line clustered in downtown Minneapolis. Sixty-four percent of development served by the Blue Line arose in Charlotte’s downtown. Much residential construction along Denver’s Southeast Corridor appeared to be the result of being near the Denver Technology Center, a major employment center.

Rails to Real Estate suggests why some rail-served locations appealed to developers and residents, while others didn’t. The answers vary from one metro area to another.

In Denver’s southeast suburbs, the 19-mile Southeast Corridor line — the second of what will eventually be a regional network of light-rail lines — was built in the right-of-way of Interstate 25. That turns out to have been a bad decision, at least from a real estate and community-building perspective.

Continued at: http://newurbannetwork.com/article/l...erywhere-14344

This is an interesting link, but it seems to be written around a theoretical controversy where I wouldn't think one exists:

But if anyone expected development to crop up at every station, there was cause for disappointment. Transit-oriented development [[TOD) concentrated primarily in areas that already had plenty of jobs or amenities to offer.
    Did anyone actually expect that? This seems a lot like a straw man to me. Also not very surprising that rail stations in the middle of freeways aren't attractive to development.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    This is an interesting link, but it seems to be written around a theoretical controversy where I wouldn't think one exists:

Did anyone actually expect that? This seems a lot like a straw man to me. Also not very surprising that rail stations in the middle of freeways aren't attractive to development.
    I agree- in the short run, who expects every single station to transform its immediate surroundings? Most initial development will happen downtown because that's where there's already a high density of diverse businesses. In our case, I could see Highland Park experiencing a lot of development, seeing as it's a sort of "secondary" downtown for a lot of people doing everyday shopping.[[Forman Mills, Aldi, dollar stores, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    I agree- in the short run, who expects every single station to transform its immediate surroundings? Most initial development will happen downtown because that's where there's already a high density of diverse businesses. In our case, I could see Highland Park experiencing a lot of development, seeing as it's a sort of "secondary" downtown for a lot of people doing everyday shopping.[[Forman Mills, Aldi, dollar stores, etc)
    For the most part, Woodward already has jobs around it. Granted they are sparce in some areas, but most areas have a few businesses with a few vacant storefronts sprinkled in.

You will certainly see development Downtown, Midtown, New Center. Vacant storefronts will slowly be filled. My curiosity is attracted to Highland Park. I am led to believe that development could spur there too, but one stretch in H.P. is about the most sparcely occupied part of the Woodward Corridor, not including Lower Midtown.

The Hiawatha line has a lot going for it. It ties together the airport, downtowm MPS and th Mall of America. It makes it easy to count development as being on the line even though it may be unrelated or only partially supported by it.

Woodward would have one major draw, downtown, but several smaller draws such as the Med Center, DIA/Wayne, New Center, then finally end at 8 Mile. If we could bring it up a few miles so that it serves the Zoo and Royal Oak then it would be a lot better, but politically that will have a lot of obstacles [[heck there will be a lot between Detroit and HP once it gets that far!).

Yes, if Light Rail stopped at 9 mile instead of 8, the line would be hugely more successful. But the hope is that we build it to 8 mile, then the suburbs want in on it too when they see the impact it has on Midtown. Hopefully it will go all the way to Birmingham, maybe even Pontiac, one day...

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Yes, if Light Rail stopped at 9 mile instead of 8, the line would be hugely more successful. But the hope is that we build it to 8 mile, then the suburbs want in on it too when they see the impact it has on Midtown. Hopefully it will go all the way to Birmingham, maybe even Pontiac, one day...
    This wholle scheme depends largely on the success of any feeder lines that can connect to it. You have to be able to get somewhere else from the light rail, and pinning hopes on development just starves off resources elsewhere in the city. As long as I can take a bus to the light rail, I'm good. Or even park and ride from the ex-fairgrounds.

How many people within half a mile of 9 Mile commute to a destination along Woodward between Jefferson and 9 Mile? I doubt that extending it to 9 Mile would make it much more successful, though I do agree that the line should go into Ferndale. But after Ferndale, I think more effort should be spent on restoring rail transit to the other radial corridors in Detroit, like Michigan, Grand River, Jefferson and Gratiot.

It has to make it at least to the Zoo. Nine mile would be great too, Downtown Ferndale is a popular place these days... drove up from Lafayette Park this weekend, only problem was I then had to drive home. Getting to the Zoo would be great, and within a stone's throw of Downtown Royal Oak would be awesome, so many young people not only live there, but also go up there to party that it would be a big draw for the line. The biggest obstacle will be crossing the line into OC. Not many cities up there could foot construction costs for a portion of the line by themselves, and LB Patterson has said OC will not directly fund construction. So it will take some creative financing/taxing arrangement to get it to happen.

I'm curious to know if SMART, Royal Oak or Ferndale have thought about starting a shuttle bus service to get people to/from those two business districts to the Eight Mile Road light rail station. I know SMART is probably strapped for resources, but you'd think that the businesses in Royal Oak and Ferndale would have every interest.

I'd say that it gets extended along Woodward no farther than the zoo and that is probably a little too far, I'd say it only goes to 8 Mile and that's it. Most suburban areas in the U.S. are dependent on the automobile and Detroit should be no different. I'd love to see something in Detroit resemble the Chicago El, but without the lines going down the expressway medians. If you want a good example of the Chicago El going over a street for a good distance look at the green line along Lake Street on Chicago's westside. I think something like that could work along Woodward.

So say if Grand River got a line how far out Grand River would you extend it? I think Farmington would be the ulitmate but I don't think it would go much past the Southfield/5 Mile interchange.

It sure is long overdue for Detroit to be getting a rail transit.

Something else that might work along a street like Woodward in the suburbs would be a dedicated bus lane, if 8 Mile was the terminal for the light rail then there could be a bus transfer there with service to Pontiac.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm curious to know if SMART, Royal Oak or Ferndale have thought about starting a shuttle bus service to get people to/from those two business districts to the Eight Mile Road light rail station. I know SMART is probably strapped for resources, but you'd think that the businesses in Royal Oak and Ferndale would have every interest.
    I know I'm curious to see if SMART and DDOT changes their routes at all to accomodate for the lessened ridership burden once the rail line is up and running. I know there are federal rules regarding cutting service as the result of a federal project, but I believe the resources can be distributed a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    I know I'm curious to see if SMART and DDOT changes their routes at all to accomodate for the lessened ridership burden once the rail line is up and running. I know there are federal rules regarding cutting service as the result of a federal project, but I believe the resources can be distributed a little differently.
    Isn't DDOT running a 53 Woodward Bus every 5-8 minutes during peak hours? I'm sure route frequency will be adjusted once new statistics on bus utilization come in after it's built. One thing I hope to see is SMART concentrate their existing Woodward services N of 8 Mile to better connect OC to the light rail line. I think this a critical part of light rail's success and future expansion north.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    So say if Grand River got a line how far out Grand River would you extend it? I think Farmington would be the ulitmate but I don't think it would go much past the Southfield/5 Mile interchange.
    Telegraph is on the list, it would atleast go to Telegraph so it wouldn't dead end somewhere, likewise 8 Mile is on the list too. Grand River widens around Telegraph and the defunct section of I-96, now M-5 would push it nicely through Farmington and out to Novi.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Isn't DDOT running a 53 Woodward Bus every 5-8 minutes during peak hours? I'm sure route frequency will be adjusted once new statistics on bus utilization come in after it's built. One thing I hope to see is SMART concentrate their existing Woodward services N of 8 Mile to better connect OC to the light rail line. I think this a critical part of light rail's success and future expansion north.
    I believe federal rules prevent them from cutting service as the result of a federally funded project. I believe they can remove buses from that route and assign them to others, but they can't cut them altogether.

Telegraph is on the list, it would atleast go to Telegraph so it wouldn't dead end somewhere, likewise 8 Mile is on the list too. Grand River widens around Telegraph and the defunct section of I-96, now M-5 would push it nicely through Farmington and out to Novi.
    Novi is likely too far. Downtown Farmington is even a stretch. There's not a whole lot between 10 Mile in Farmington and Novi Rd, yet it is another 5 miles or so.

The question of needing to extend the rail into Ferndale/Royal Oak keeps coming up again and again on this forum. I think it's a good idea [[especially to connect the Zoo) but it is not neccesary for the rail's success. It has already been established that current bus ridership is high enough on Woodward ave in Detroit to support rail.

As far as TOD, Downtown to New Center will naturally be the center of development. Making this area into a 24/7 walkable area is essential for any comeback. And with the large amount of vacant land, there will be plenty of room for new developments such as Whole Foods.

I believe federal rules prevent them from cutting service as the result of a federally funded project. I believe they can remove buses from that route and assign them to others, but they can't cut them altogether.
    I'm not sure what the letter of the rule is, but bear in mind that light rail is actually an increase in service, due to its higher capacity. You could eliminate all of the Woodward Avenue buses and the light rail would still provide a higher level of service than what currently exists.

It will indeed be interesting to see what adjustments are made to bus service, both by DDOT and SMART, once the full light rail line is built out to the former fairgrounds and ridership adjusts to the new mode.

One interesting thing is that DDOT, which runs the Woodward bus every 8 minutes most of the day, apparently only plans to run light rail on a 15 minute schedule. Now, if you're at [[say) 7 Mile Road waiting to go downtown and a bus comes, do you get on the bus or wait for the train?

Another interesting question: does SMART adjust its service in any way whatever?

Someone mentioned feeder routes, but the existing bus systems have an astonishing number of connections with Woodward. I studied this three or four years ago. I don't think you need to add to that necessarily; it's pretty good as it is, especially if the light rail runs past Rosa Parks TC and makes all the west-side bus connections there.

Finally, as regards the federal rules, certainly DDOT can't cut bus service as a result of implementation of light rail. But that's a piece of straw; if they intend to cut bus service to help defray the cost of light rail, all they have to do is make sure the service changes don't happen simultaneously with the onset of light rail service, and then blame the cuts on some other phenomenon, like the loss of population or the fact that it's been a very cold spring so far. Rules of that sort are very simple to get around.

Novi is likely too far. Downtown Farmington is even a stretch. There's not a whole lot between 10 Mile in Farmington and Novi Rd, yet it is another 5 miles or so.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I keep reading all of these light rail threads where people propose that light rail go all the way to places like Ypsilanti, Pontiac, and Mt. Clemens. Those are ridiculous distances for light rail, which is an urban transit vehicle. It does short-to-medium runs at a fast pace on a predictable schedule. If people want to be connected with places like Ypsi/Ann Arbor, Pontiac, and Mt. Clemens, we need commuter rail with only a few key stops, not light rail. God help us if any rail goes to Novi. Woof.

I just don't see anything going too far outside of the city limits. I believe the city limits going out Grand River is 7 Mile but correct me if I'm wrong, I think either Telegraph or 7 Mile would be a good termini for a line.

The zoo doesn't make a lot of sense as a terminating point. It would be a good thing to connect to the system, but I don't think it's much of a destination volume wise. Ideally you end transit lines at big destinations, to help maximize ridership on the entire length of the line. Downtown Royal Oak would be a great place to end the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The zoo doesn't make a lot of sense as a terminating point. It would be a good thing to connect to the system, but I don't think it's much of a destination volume wise. Ideally you end transit lines at big destinations, to help maximize ridership on the entire length of the line. Downtown Royal Oak would be a great place to end the line.
    Yep, either downtown Royal Oak or downtown Birmingham or perhaps the Birmingham Transit Center. Those are the only three places that make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm not sure what the letter of the rule is, but bear in mind that light rail is actually an increase in service, due to its higher capacity. You could eliminate all of the Woodward Avenue buses and the light rail would still provide a higher level of service than what currently exists.
    Capacity on light rail:

Attachment 9258

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast