Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Whole Foods in Midtown?

Wow. Apparently, pigs may indeed fly. Nice.

Even right now, greater downtown has very good access to food by independent grocers. If Whole Foods moved into Midtown, nobody can use lack of food as an excuse for not living in the area.

I understand your point, but people can use any excuse for anything, and Whole Foods isn't a "real" grocery store--I'll buy prepared foods there sometimes, but I won't buy groceries because I'm not willing to spend that much. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but from a shopping perspective I'd rather have an Aldi.

However, if a Whole Foods does appear, it will demonstrate that at least one major chain thinks that the demographics are there to support a pretty upscale store, which would be a positive signal both to other retailers and to potential residents. And lots of people who aren't me like shopping at Whole Foods.

Yes, I know, but at the same time, it seems like the number one question people ask in regards to living in Detroit is, "Where do you buy groceries?" Now, instead of spending 10 minutes attempting to explain the glory that is Eastern Market and all of local independent grocers, I can just say, "Oh, there's a Whole Foods a few blocks down." Also, I'll never have to read another media report about how Detroit "has no major chain grocers in the city limits" as if that meant the remaining 713,000 of us are starving to death.

Yes, I know, but at the same time, it seems like the number one question people ask in regards to living in Detroit is, "Where do you buy groceries?"

You'll still see that question but it will be appended with "Cuz I can't afford that hoity-toity yuppie Whole Foods place"

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Yes, I know, but at the same time, it seems like the number one question people ask in regards to living in Detroit is, "Where do you buy groceries?"
    Just tell them there's a monthly air drop of supplies from the Dharma Initiative.

Hate to say I told ya so

I don't think this bodes well for the independent places like Kim's produce, the soon to open YOBS, Goodwells, and the newly opened Eve's *should* they decide to open a store in midtown. I'll be shocked if they do.

I think that this is excellent news. I would definitely buy some lower-priced staples at a place like Whole Foods, but I think that a Trader Joes would be a much better fit for the area. The prices are considerably lower...

There is an Aldi's up on Woodward near Manchester - in Highland Park. I went there recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I understand your point, but people can use any excuse for anything, and Whole Foods isn't a "real" grocery store--I'll buy prepared foods there sometimes, but I won't buy groceries because I'm not willing to spend that much. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but from a shopping perspective I'd rather have an Aldi...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There is an Aldi's up on Woodward near Manchester - in Highland Park. I went there recently...
    This is true. I did a lot of shopping there when I lived in Midtown. It is a nice Aldi, too.

I've shopped there. It's pretty nice, and presumably security benefits from the adjacent police station. Maybe that is close enough that Midtown doesn't need its own. Certainly the nearest Whole Foods is much farther away.

Well I personally don't have use for whole foods [[you can find good quality stuff for quite a bit less) though I'll welcome them if they come [[maybe i'd even shop there occasionally)

on the one hand it would be great for shutting people up about the city with "no grocery stores" however I'm more afraid of this backfiring.

Look, only a handful of very well to do areas in the entire state has been deemed worthy of having a whole foods and their revenue must be incredible. Midtown is very well on its way but I'm just not confident that that kind of money exists yet. Much of midtown is younger folks many just out of college; most of whom aren't of any great means yet. My big fear is whole foods coming in just to realize that market isn't going to be up to par with ann arbor and bloomfield and close up within a year or so. The biggest problem then is it will hand all that much more ammunition to the detroit haters who will play it off as if it means detroit can't support ANY store> [[thus perpetuating the current myth)

I also think a place like aldi would be a great fit for the budget conscious majority. There are already a few of them in the city [[read: yes its a national chain) A big problem with perception is that "grocery store" is synonymous with "kroger" around here. Even if a place like kroger wanted to open in midtown I'm not sure they're willing to try a somewhat scaled back store to fit in a non suburban setting.

I hope my fears are unfounded and stores like kims and university foods do well

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I've shopped there. It's pretty nice, and presumably security benefits from the adjacent police station. Maybe that is close enough that Midtown doesn't need its own. Certainly the nearest Whole Foods is much farther away.
    I shopped at that Aldis quiet frequently when I lived in the New Center area. It's always clean and well stocked. I never had a moment's hesitation about going in there for fear of safety or anything else. I got good quality items and great prices.
    Hopefully if WF does open in the city there'll be enough of a market for all grocers. I'd hate to see the markets that have invested in the city,and stayed when others wouldn't look back at Detroit,close their doors because a major chain opens up shop.
    If WF does open then congrats to the D!

Have no fear for U Foods, they will just have to lower they're jacked up prices once there is decent competition.

As far as potential customers, I think a Whole Foods would draw people who currently leave the city entirely to shop at Kroger, Meijer, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. And students often have parents who pay for their food, and there are many professors and doctors working in the area that would shop there after work.

Goodwell's and Kim's shouldn't be worried either, they have their own niche and I can't see people giving up on them. As for YOBS, I'm not sure but I would guess its far enough downtown that it could compete. Plus they can campture the 'hate whole foods' crowd.

These new markets are what we need to attract new residents. It is anticipatory. And if Whole Foods opens it would signal other major non-grocery chains that Midtown is a good canidate for new stores. Think American Apparel, which is another store that has been known to open in "up and coming" but not quite there yet neighborhoods.

If Whole Foods opens expect many chains to open in Midtown, but also many new independent stores too. My main concern is lack of available retail space, lack of buildings. New ones need to be constructed.
    Last edited by casscorridor; April-04-11 at 09:52 AM.

Well???

Do you want a Whole Foods in Detroit, or don't you??

Definitely.

Yes, definitely, I think this quote from Sue Mosey sums it up nicely:

"Whether you like or don't like a place like Starbucks, having a business like that gives confidence to other investors. It doesn't mean they are more valuable than the independents, but there is a role for larger national brands in a developing neighborhood."

^Exactly. Not only will Avalon, Goodwell's, Kim's, and Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe be fine, other entrepreneurial types may give Midtown a second look. Greater density offers more foot traffic and more potential customers -- just ask the business owners on the Avalon block on Willis.

I'd be surprised if this happens, but if it does, not as much as I would have been a year ago. I looked into housing at the new apartment complex across from Old Main, and it's nearly sold out even before the building is complete. That shows the demand for off-campus housing in the nicer areas of Midtown and will only add to the density of the North Cass neighborhood.

[[Now, if only Agave would come back!)

Looks like some people on this forum might be eating organic crow.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ^Exactly. Not only will Avalon, Goodwell's, Kim's, and Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe be fine, other entrepreneurial types may give Midtown a second look. Greater density offers more foot traffic and more potential customers -- just ask the business owners on the Avalon block on Willis.

I'd be surprised if this happens, but if it does, not as much as I would have been a year ago. I looked into housing at the new apartment complex across from Old Main, and it's nearly sold out even before the building is complete. That shows the demand for off-campus housing in the nicer areas of Midtown and will only add to the density of the North Cass neighborhood.

[[Now, if only Agave would come back!)
    A nationally recognized establishment like Whole Foods would likely attract people from outlying neighborhoods, helping others like YOBS [[should it ever open). These days, without a recognized name, people think there's nothing there. Putting a Whole Foods in Midtown will direct some attention and positive light to the area and other national brands and more entrepreneurs will be attracted to the area purely because of the exposure.

With the Live Midtown initiative along with the LRT line that appears closer than ever to reality, it is no coincidence that we are seeing a name like Whole Foods snooping around for space. If this happens, it could be the first of what could be a handful of dominoes to fall in Detroit, as other retailers could follow.

And so, if you take Midtown's current building/structure and street layout, where would you put a Whole Foods in the neighborhood if you had a choice?

I could see it on the corner of Hancock and Woodward, where the old police precinct? is.

I wouldn't mind it being next to McDonalds on the corner of Willis either. They could build a multi-level store which utilized parking in the adjascent garage.

Fuck Whole Foods. I'd rather have lots of independent retailers than a Whole Foods. Cheering on the arrival of a Whole Foods just sounds so ... uncreative and ... more of an Ann Arbor thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast