Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Car Factories

Hi everybody. I'm a newbie on here after having discovered the "Old Car Factories" thread via a link on another web site. The only way I could "hook up" on that thread was thru that link to an index of what I presumed to be the first 24 pages of it. the last posting of the 24 pages was on 12-18-06. Is that thread still alive somewhere and if so where? When I click on "next" it tells that site is no longer available. I've spent hours marking up old maps based on the dialogue [[and pictures) posted there but was frustrated by my inability to ask questions or go farther. Can anybody help?

Click here to view a listing of all the old forum's "Hall of Fame" thread subjects. Scroll nearly all the way down on that page and you will find the "Old Car Factories" thread. Click on it and you will get this index of all the 24 individual threads. Those are the only threads on that subject that exist on the old forum. A few more posts were added here in 2008 and 2009. The old forum was closed on March 31, 2009.

Click here and here to view the new forum's only currently active threads on the subject.
    Last edited by Mikeg; April-03-11 at 03:59 PM.

Forum member "Hornwrecker" compiled a database in PDF format that alphabetically lists all of the manufacturers that are mentioned in the Old Car Factories threads. The entries also indicate the thread number[[s) where a photo or Sanborn map appears for that manufacturer. I downloaded that PFD on Oct. 2, 2006 and saved it to my hard drive. I just now uploaded it here on my web server. It can be very useful in finding all of the information, pics and maps for a given manufacturer, since they may be spread over multiple threads.

Can you enlighten me as what happened to the thread? It didn't appear to be near death at the end of the 24th page or at the end of the archives. Or was it due to the Forum itself being discontinued? Is there any way to contact any of the more active participants? Mikem, SVEN, yourself, Hornwrecker?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Fairfax View Post
    Can you enlighten me as what happened to the thread? It didn't appear to be near death at the end of the 24th page or at the end of the archives. Or was it due to the Forum itself being discontinued? Is there any way to contact any of the more active participants? Mikem, SVEN, yourself, Hornwrecker?
    I think that after nearly two years of research and 1,600+ posts, they just ran out of "new" old car factories to document and they simply moved on to other interests. The "Old Car Factories" threads had been archived in the "Hall of Fame" for more than two years prior to the switch-over to the new forum software on April 1, 2009.

MikeM and Hornwrecker are still around and you can try sending them a Private Message if they don't happen to check-in on this thread and comment. I don't know about the others since some members changed their "handle" when the switch-over occurred.

The best way to generate some more discussion on this subject is to ask a question that hadn't been previously covered or offer some new information that you might have come across.

The City of Pontiac is celebrating its sesquicentennial this year!!! Of course, there are Pontiac 150th events planned throughout the year. And historic photos and memorabilia are being gathered. Videos and photo galleries are being posted and made available through their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128158230545070 and through the city website:
    http://www.pontiac.mi.us/history/sesquicentennial.html. Given Pontiac's long association with the automotive industry, there may be shots of some of the original automobile factories in and around Pontiac. Maybe they will be included on the bike tour in June? Anyways, thought this info might be of interest to some....