Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about eligibility for unemployment

Last August my husband started work as a teacher. He had thought he had a one-year contract, but his contract expires 6/9/09. It seems the contract was for one school year, not one calendar year.

Is he eligible for unemployment?

Where did he work before? If he didn't work long enough as a teacher, maybe he had enough work at his prior job. Rules change, though, so maybe that one doesn't work any more.

Here is the link to How to File for Unemployment Benefits. You should be able to find your answers there.

http://www.mi.gov/uia/0,1607,7-118-26831---,00.html
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-17-09 at 09:02 PM.

To draw full benefits from a given employer, you have to have worked at least 32 weeks in what they call the benefit year, which is the 12 months preceeding your filing for unemployment. If he worked less than 32 weeks for his latest employer, but had more weeks of employment with another employer, he will still qualify, I think. They will assess some of the weeks to one employer and some to another.

At least this is my understanding from when I did payroll some years ago. I don't know if they have changed their rules.

ccbatson Guest

If the contract specifies a term of 1 year, it is not technically unemployment after the duration of the contract is expired. That would be like a contractor drawing unemployment after they finish your house.