Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where to buy straw in city?

I'm an urban chicken farmer and I need some straw. Sometimes I can get it at Eastern Market, if not I go to the Baseline Feed Store in Warren. Does anyone know where in the city-proper I can get it without driving all over the place? Thanks. And my five laying hens will thank you too!

Retroit Guest

Have you thought about buying a scythe and harvesting your own from the many vacant fields in Detroit? It's really quite easy and fun.

Just don't ask me where to buy a scythe! Mine's at least 60 years old...but works quite well.

I am seriously urban , is straw different from Hay? I get bundles of hay from Cindy's Flowers in the market. They relocated recently but it might be a resource for you.

Straw is definitely different from hay. Hay is baled up fresh cut grass or clover that is allowed to dry slightly on the ground and then baled. Straw is the well dried stalks and sometimes even the heads of grain such as wheat and oats.

I got my straw in Eastern Market after all. The way hay vs. straw was explained to me --- hay if for horses, straw isn't ...

In the words of Fred Eaglesmith, shoulda never married a gal who didn't know hay from straw.

"Straw" is often the stems of grains such as oats. The seeds are pretty much removed for feed leaving the straw behind. Old dry [[more brown and brittle) hay can also be used as straw to absorb moisture. In a stanchion dairy barn, the used straw winds up in the manure as it has sponged up a lot of nitrogen. Its good for your garden as fertizer and eventually adds tilth to the soil. However, when we have smothered the surface of our garden with old hay, we start having mice problems. It works good over a potato bed though. It allows not planting potatoes as deep. The skins turn green if any light gets to the potatoes. Generally, its better to spread the used straw on moderately so it can be spaded or rototilled in. Old hay has more weed seeds than straw.

If you can dry your grass clippings, they would work fine as a straw substitute as would sawdust.
    Last edited by oladub; May-26-09 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Detroit K-9 Pet Supplies.

313-843-5916 | 7030 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48210
    313-341-8746 | 15473 Livernois Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48238
    313-647-4858 | 14114 E. Warren, Detroit, Michigan 48215