Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Could This Save Detroit City Airport?

Detroit; Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow

Could something like this save Detroit City Airport?

Hawaii Seeks Spaceport License [[2009 Article)

Imagine flying out to Hawaii, with its pristine landscape and postcard perfect beaches, and then taking off again on a suborbital space adventure. State officials are betting on that future vision, by considering spending $500,000 on a federally licensed spaceport, and thereby joining such states as Florida, Oklahoma, and New Mexico in jostling for a piece of space-tourism pie.
    The Federal Aviation Administration estimates that space tourism could be a billion-dollar industry in 20 years, and proponents of the idea say that Hawaii can use its existing airports to jump into the market without huge additional expenses.....

Read the rest here: http://www.popsci.com/military-aviat...i-here-we-come
    Link to market assessment: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/specia...ck%20Lauer.pdf

I think City Airport is too landlocked with the cemeteries around it to have a long enough runway. It's a shame.

Not to mention there's gotta be some fed. regulations against having a spaceport in an urban area.

But hell, otherwise it could be really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Not to mention there's gotta be some fed. regulations against having a spaceport in an urban area.

But hell, otherwise it could be really cool!

Willow Run!

Word. What's going on with the Aerotropolis proposal the Ficano & L Brooks were talking up so much last few years?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JTistle1 View Post
    I think City Airport is too landlocked with the cemeteries around it to have a long enough runway. It's a shame.
    Nonsense! The city is already in the process of relocating residents. Adjacent to a cemetery is perfect. It's even better than Hawaii's plan to put it next to a wildlife refuge!

Here is a Hawaii representative talking up the project:

DetroitDad Guest

You guys have to understand, this is economic stimulus, and Michigan needs jobs.

"This is a time in Hawaii where money is a problem because the state budget does not balance. We're $2,000,000,000.00 short. What we got to do is think of creative, innovative, different ways of making...... that.... budget balance."

They can go around the cemeteries, they just have to buy me out as my office is at the end of the new runway if they ever build it.

lol. that is all.

The place for something like this would be Selfridge.

City needs to revert to general and business aviation and McNichols needs to be restored as an east/west thoroughfare.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Word. What's going on with the Aerotropolis proposal the Ficano & L Brooks were talking up so much last few years?
    Probably nothing, because its a stupid idea and they're both idiots.

What I don't understand is why City Airport [[not Coleman Field or whatever its supposed to be now) is a City Department. Is owning a run-down airport really an essential service a city is supposed to provide, let alone a city that is pitifully incapable of providing adequate police, fire, EMS, and general services?

Is that thing profitable? I'm guessing if the city is running it probably not. What the hell is the point of it, if there are no commercial flights anymore? Can't somebody take it? Or is it a "gem"?

I'm all for keeping it if it is advantageous to the city, like the Water Department, for example, but is it??

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Nonsense! The city is already in the process of relocating residents. Adjacent to a cemetery is perfect. It's even better than Hawaii's plan to put it next to a wildlife refuge!

Here is a Hawaii representative talking up the project:

I agree. But they also need to move the cemetaries in the meantime to expand City airport. The main obstacle to Detroit City's becoming a viable commercial and freight airport in the past was always lack of a runway long enough for full size and fully loaded jets, cemetaries surrounding the airport and Warren's hostility to Detroit. With Detroit being vacated, moving the cemetaries and getting Warren to buy in [[sharing profit - taxes, etc) Detroit City could become a huge economic engine much like Midway in Chicago. I live near Willow Run. In fact, I'm under two flight paths. It's not as bad as you might imagine. Not as loud and not as busy. I enjoy watching incoming flights from each end of my home as they cruise over Ford Lake on approach.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Probably nothing, because its a stupid idea and they're both idiots.

What I don't understand is why City Airport [[not Coleman Field or whatever its supposed to be now) is a City Department. Is owning a run-down airport really an essential service a city is supposed to provide, let alone a city that is pitifully incapable of providing adequate police, fire, EMS, and general services?

Is that thing profitable? I'm guessing if the city is running it probably not. What the hell is the point of it, if there are no commercial flights anymore? Can't somebody take it? Or is it a "gem"?

I'm all for keeping it if it is advantageous to the city, like the Water Department, for example, but is it??
    Good points, DP. Detroit City is probably an excellent case for privatization for the reasons you gave. I'd still like to see it enlarged and run as a private, or quasi-private/public corporation if proven it can be a viable enterprise.

Spaceports are better nearer to the equator and adjacent to an ocean. That is why the Kennedy space center is where it is. Hawaii is even better. Detroit, not. That is why there is a space center in French Guiana.

I'd like to seee city airport renovated and turned into a commercial airport for public use.. 2-3 passenger airlines..

Do we even need city airport to exist any longer? Between Metro and Willow Run, and the numerous smaller airfields for personal and private aircraft around the metro area, really, what purpose does City serve? Not trying to hate, just asking an honest question from someone who doesn't know the answer.

Not like I have a better idea with what to do with the land, mind you......

Not like I have a better idea with what to do with the land, mind you......

Dragstrip........

Sunday, SunDAY, SUNDAY at Detroit City Airport Dragway.........

I honestly think we could all benifit from an inproved City Airport. I used to love going there to catch a flight to Chicago, just due to the convience.

If anything ever happens there, they are deffinitly going to need to bump up security as I don't think they got any of the upgrades that have been put in place since 9/11.

But I think what will really get this airport back in use, is if we can improve downtown such as expanding cobo and building a new sports arena for the Wings and Pistons. Give people a reason to visit Detroit again and with enough tourism, there will be a need for an airport located within the city.

We got a long way to go, and it doesn't help matters that we lost almost 300,000 people over the last 15-20 years.

and building a new sports arena for the Wings and Pistons.

Another one? Aren't there already like 17 sports venues downtown?

Maybe build or renovate something for some other use?

Virgin Galactic's space planes are no bigger than private jets[[http://www.virgingalactic.com/) and certianly smaller than Pro-Air's modified 737-400s. We should try to get a Pro-Air type commercial operator back and roll out the red carpet for anyone wanting to open a spaceport with some sort of incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Virgin Galactic's space planes are no bigger than private jets[[http://www.virgingalactic.com/) and certianly smaller than Pro-Air's modified 737-400s. We should try to get a Pro-Air type commercial operator back and roll out the red carpet for anyone wanting to open a spaceport with some sort of incentive.
    Detroit would be seriously behind the curve to try to turn City Airport in a spaceport.

New Mexico is currently constructing a spaceport in the southern part of the state. Vurgin Galactic has been an active participant. They've already sold a number of tickets to individuals who will fly in space and test flown their spacecraft from there.
    http://www.spaceportamerica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    and building a new sports arena for the Wings and Pistons.

Another one? Aren't there already like 17 sports venues downtown?

Maybe build or renovate something for some other use?
    No, there's only 3... you confusing them with sports bars with big screen TVs....

As for the idea of clearing the cemetaries... you would be surprised at then number of former Detroiters who now live in the suburbs, who wouldn't mind their dearly departed moved to a farther out location... as long as they don't have to pay for it... and the headstones/monuments come with the move...