Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Saved by Minnie kids

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...o-save-Detroit

I guess it's nice that Detroit is on the map with these kids but Mommy won't let them stay in the big, bad city? Are they sure Farmington Hills is far enough away to feel safe?

What kind of college student needs thier mommy's permission to do something???

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What kind of college student needs thier mommy's permission to do something???
    One that lives at home and doesn't pay for anything?

The irony is that his chances of being injured in a car accident going to/from Farmington Hills are probably higher than something happening to him in Detroit.

The whole thing is kind of cute. But I don't know if we should be looking for models called "Dinkytown".

It's probably not a good thing to admit to a reporter that your mother views you as a child and not an adult.

Are you saying that Detroit is too bad-a$$ to have a Dinkytown? How about F--- you up your Dinky A$$ town? lol

Seriously, it's nice to know that people are thinking of how to help Detroit. St. Louis lost 27% pop. between 1970 and 1980. Maybe we can learn from their mistakes.

http://www.stlconfluence.org/article...eID=258&page=1

The Community Land Trust sounds like a good idea.
    Last edited by maxx; March-31-11 at 04:04 PM.

Last edited by maxx; March-31-11 at 04:36 PM.

I read this article earlier and I wasn't sure what to think...

I like the fact that the world finds Detroit as a very interesting place but I'm kind of tired of being looked at as a science project. Like we have some sort of disease that no one has found a cure for yet.

I mean, Detroiters are thinkers, inovators and creative folk. What do these kids [[and others) think they can do that hasn't already been thought of? Again, not to knock what they're doing because it is commendable and it's a great thing, that they're trying to help others in far away lands. But they aren't gonna say anything that hasn't ever been brought up or tried before? And if they do have an idea, maybe it just wouldn't fit into Detroits natural pattern of who we are and the way we live. People "historically" do things differently depending on geographical location. Or quite frankly, it could be the "Detroit attitude". I'm very aware that Minnesota ranks pretty much number one "in almost every good category" except weather, and It's one place that I'd love to visit. But Detroit is an entirely different animal from Minnesota. We're a beast of a city.

I think it's cute. But I am tired of people thinking they have the answer for Detroit, like we're just sitting around twiddling our thumbs.
    Last edited by illwill; March-31-11 at 11:10 PM.

NorthEndere Guest

I'm appreciative of all of the newfound interest in Detroit, though, I'm a bit put-off by a certain segment of those that want to treat it as some kind of blank canvass where no one lives or where rules don't exist. And then you have those that come from the angle of pity, wanting to make the place their charity case like some kind of morbid pilgrimage/anthropological case study as if they are visiting a zoo.

Poor fools. The community college kids have their heart in the right place. I actually kind of pity them. This place eats good ideas and good intentions alive. Hate to see people's hearts broken, which is what inevitably happens. They'll soon find that Detroit is a place that doesn't take kindly to being dictated to, vertically. It's both it's greatest strength and greatest weakness. Detrot'll begin its resurgence [[with help from the outside) when someone[[s) level[[s) with its citizens, horizontally. That is

Is that so: "Nasty landlord tricks." Seriously?

"Are you saying that Detroit is too bad-a$$ to have a Dinkytown? How about F--- you up your Dinky A$$ town? lol"

That's terrible....but it did make me laugh.

Thanks for the advice to expand Wayne State.

Did they drive over in a Honda?