Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Check your old video tapes

A friend of mine is offering $50.00 a piece for old Sir Graves Ghastly TV shows.

Remember Detroit's favorite vampire, Sir Graves Ghastly?
    I'm paying $50 for each original VHS or Beta recording of a full Sir Graves Ghastly show. I've set aside a total of $500 for the first 10 shows I receive.
    If you have fewer than 10 programs, I will still pay $50 a piece for them.
    Note: I'm looking for complete shows with movie and original commercials.
    There are two widely available shows currently circulating that I can NOT purchase: a show featuring the original FRANKENSTEIN which aired on
    November 1, 1980, and a partial show featuring the film FIEND WITHOUT A
    FACE, which aired on August 29, 1981.
    Cash rewards also offered for:
    * any original George Pierrot recording
    * certain shows featuring The Ghoul
    Let me know what you have!
    E-mail: sirgraves@fastmail.net

I certainly remember Sir Graves Ghastly - but back in the days I watched it the VCR hadn't yet been invented so - sorry for both of us, no tapes.

If he's not already aware of it, though, your friend might be able to get a small fix of Sir Graves in the meantime while waiting for someone to come forth. I did a search at youtube.com and found a few Sir Graves videos posted there.

How about a bonus if the show contains "The Blob", a nose and eyes drawn upside-down on someone's chin, singing "I want to bite your hand" to the Beatles' song of similar title?

K.I.S.S. genius.

I beg to differ with the statement that in SOME of the days of Sir Graves, the VCR had not been invented. However, BETA recorders came out during part of his run. I think they were called "beta max" or something like that.

There is a Detroit message board for radio and television. I'm not sure of the site address. Perhaps there are some old TV2 techs on there that have some Sir Graves tapes. Doesn't hurt to ask.

When Lawson Deming, the man who played Sir Graves, passed away a couple of years ago, WJBK contacted me regarding footage from the show. They tossed their old tapes years ago.

Maybe WJBK tossed THEIR tapes, but knowing what I know about the engineers and video tech folks, I don't doubt there's plenty of historic footage in home film libraries.

Bullet Guest

Hey Ed, drop me a dime at john_doe395@hotmail.com. I have some old 8MM tapes of Detroit, Belle Isle, and hydroplane races from the 60's that I would like to send your way.

Some lo-res videos on line: http://www.sirgravesghastly.com/videos.htm.