Total
    BUILDING CLOSURES – SUMMER 2011
    Carleton
    Field, Moses
    Rutherford
    Day School for Deaf
    Hutchinson
    Sherrill
    Ludington [[Relocate entire program in-tact to Hughes building)

BUILDING CLOSURES – SUMMER 2012
    Osborn HS

CLOSURES OR CHARTERS* SUMMER 2011
    Barsamian Prep
    Farwell
    Jemison
    Beard ELC
    Ferguson Academy
    Loving
    Breithaupt CTC
    Glazer
    MacDowell
    Carstens
    Hally
    Trix
    Detroit City HS
    Hancock
    Van Zile
    Dossin
    Hutchins
    Wayne
    * Proposals will be requested to operate these schools as Charters. If an acceptable proposal is not submitted for a school, then it will be closed during the Summer of 2011.
    TURNAROUND CHARTER OPTIONS** – FALL 2011 OR LATER YEAR
    Brewer
    Henderson
    Phoenix
    Burns
    Holmes, A.L.
    Pulaski
    Carver
    Howe
    Robeson/Malcolm X
    Clark
    Mann
    Robinson
    Davison
    Marshall, T.
    Sampson
    Durfee
    Mason
    Stewart
    Edmonson
    Noble
    Twain, Mark
    Gardner
    Nolan
    White
    Hamilton
    Palmer Park Prep
    Wilkins
    ** These buildings will remain open under a Turnaround Plan, either under Charter or DPS operation. Turnaround Plans will be requested from private and community groups via a Request for Proposals to operate charters. In the event an acceptable charter plan is not submitted, DPS will implement a Turnaround Plan.
    Net Building Reductions: 32[[min.) – 59[[max.)

Sorry, the formatting got mixed in translation but you get the picture.

Seems as though a listing of schools remaining in service would be a shorter list.

Very sad. Went to Parker for my first day at kindergarten. Little girl next to me threw up. I never liked school very much after that.

Day School for the Deaf really needs to stay open. They do some great things there for a population that would be severly underserved in other buildings!

Today, I'm sad. Years ago, DPS closed my first elementary school, Brady on Lawton and Joy and now Bobb is closing the second elementary school I attended, Rutherford. Well, when I went there it was known as Newton Elementary and everyone who lived on the south side of 7Mile between Southfield and Greenfield went to Newton. The principal, Mr. Lockett used to give kids candy on their birthday and he paddled them if they acted up too. They used flags to tell the children if they could play on the playground after eating lunch. Green, yes; red no. When I went there, there a big, big, big push to get the children to read. When I worked for DPS in 2005, I pushed for me and my partner to inventory that school. I wanted to go back to Newton to get my first look inside since 1982. It looked very small....LOL. Now they want to close it. Today, I am sad.

Now that Bobb is leaving in less than 90 days, he could be honest and say that he is just blowing smoke up a bear's ass. 45 charters!!! I would like to know where are they going to get their customer base and I say customer base literary because it is about getting that state money for said charter sponsor but back to the question. Where is their customer base? We already know that the children are in other charter schools, private schools or the burbs so all their have left is the ones no one wants. The number of schools closing will increase because they will not get 45 sponsors for old DPS buildings.

This article from the Detroit News says the same thing but may be just a tad bit easier to decipher. It does not include, however, the new buildings which DPS is opening under Proposal S. I still haven;t heard if any of MacKenzie is to be preserved for the new K-8 on that site. I doubt any will....but no school, no matter the architect or the budget, will be any more architecturally significant than the current 1920s MacKenzie H.S. I need to dig out my list of the schools which were listed to the National Register of Historic Places last year. A change in ownership will not affect their listing, but I'm curious to know how many will be affected by this changeover. When I cross reference the lists, I'll post the results. There is an interactive map of the schools affected available at the link at the bottom of this post. Anyhow, from "The Home Newspaper":

Bobb announces 8 DPS school closures, up to 45 charters

Jennifer Chambers and Steve Pardo / The Detroit News

Detroit— Detroit Public Schools emergency manager Robert Bobb today announced plans to close at least eight schools this year and next, with 18 other classroom buildings slated to become charters or close as well.

Altogether, 45 classroom buildings in the district could be converted to charter schools under Bobb's plan, which he calls "Renaissance 2012." Bobb said the changes are aimed at reducing the district's $327 million legacy deficit, stemming enrollment declines and improving student achievement.

"The bottom line is this: We cannot in good conscience operate the same school system in the same way when only 5 percent of our students are proficient in reading, as measured against students nationally," Bobb said. "We would be failing our kids."

The district's Deficit Elimination plan calls for closing 40 schools. Besides the schools announced today as being closed and/or chartered, the district will close 14 classroom buildings this year and next under a $500.5 million bond issue that will replace those sites with six new or renovated buildings.

The plan would potentially affect more than 16,000 DPS students.

Schools scheduled to close this summer:
    —Carleton Elementary
    —Day School for the Deaf
    —Moses Field
    —Hutchinson Elementary
    —Rutherford Elementary
    —Sherrill Elementary
    —Ludington Magnet Middle School

Also, Osborn High School is scheduled to close in 2012.

Schools that will become charters or close:
    —Barsamian Preparatory Center
    —Beard ELC
    —Breithaupt Career and Technical Center
    —Carstens Elementary
    —Detroit City High School
    —Dossin Elementary
    —Farwell Middle School
    —Ferguson Academy for Young Women
    —Glazer Elementary
    —Hally Magnet Middle School
    —Hancock
    —Hutchins Elementary
    —Jemison Elementary-Middle
    —Loving Elementary
    —MacDowell Elementary
    —Trix Elementary
    —Van Zile Elementary
    —Wayne Elementary

Proposals will need to be presented to operate the above schools as charters. If a proposal is not submitted, the schools will be closed come summer.

Another 27 schools were named as "turnaround charter options." They will remain open under a plan as either a charter or a DPS school. Proposals for turnaround plans will be requested from private or community groups to operate the schools as charters. If plans aren't submitted, DPS will put forth its own turnaround plan for:
    —Brewer Elementary
    —Burns Elementary
    —Carver Elementary
    —Clark Preparatory Academy
    —Davison Elementary
    —Durfee Elementary
    —Edmonson Elementary
    —Gardner Elementary
    —Hamilton Elementary-Middle
    —Henderson Academy
    —A.L. Holmes Elementary
    —Howe Elementary
    —Mann Elementary
    —T. Marshall Elementary
    —Mason Elementary
    —Noble Elementary
    —Nolan Elementary
    —Palmer Park Preparatory Academy
    —Phoenix Elementary
    —Pulaski Elementary
    —Robeson/Malcolm X Academy
    —Robinson Academy
    —Sampson Academy
    —Stewart Elementary
    —Mark Twain Elementary
    —White Elementary
    —Wilkins Elementary

Including possible charter schools, the plans call for the district to reduce its number of school buildings by at least 32 and as many as 59.

In an interview with The Detroit News last week, Bobb said, based on his research, five DPS schools could be converted in five months to open as charters in September. National and local charter operators have said they typically need 18
    months to two years to open a charter school.

The remaining charters would be done on different schedules, DPS officials have said.

"We have done our homework. Our plan is realistic," Bobb said in a previous interview with The News.

Bobb said he would meet with Mayor Dave Bing this week to discuss his proposed closures because "we want to make it consistent with the growth of the city."
    Under the charter plan, the district would be the authorizing agency and send roughly $7,500 per student in state aid to the charter schools, keeping a 3 percent administrative fee.

The schools targeted for charter conversion are those with low academic performance, low or declining enrollment, high operational costs, poor physical conditions or a combination of factors. At least some schools that cannot be chartered would be slated for closure, DPS officials said.

Bobb's plan for charters is an alternative to the Deficit Elimination Plan he filed with the state Department of Education earlier this year. That plan calls for closing half of the district's 142 schools, swelling high school class sizes to 60 students and consolidating departments across the district to eliminate a $327 million deficit by 2014. Under that plan, the district's population is projected at 58,570, down from about 74,000 now.

The state approved Bobb's deficit plan and ordered him to implement it immediately last month.

Bobb said he hopes charter school conversion would stem the district's massive enrollment decline. Over the past decade, the district has lost 7,000 to 10,000 students a year — many to charter schools in Detroit that are run independent of DPS.

Officials say the charter conversion plan would reduce operating costs by an estimated $75 million to $99 million, generate an estimated $21.8 million in lease income from the chartered schools and save about $22 million in costs to close and secure the buildings, DPS officials said.

Under the charter proposal, hundreds of teachers would still be laid off. Charter schools typically offer lower compensation to their teachers, with much lower pension, health care and pay packages. Bobb has acknowledged that much of the savings is in teacher compensation.

jchambers@detnews.com

The charter conversion plan makes no sense. I will be surprised if they can get people to make serious offers for more than a small fraction of them. I am also a little confused by the "turnaround plan" school list. I see Palmer Park Prep on it. I think the school has been open 6 months since it was reorganized [[formerly Hampton/Barbara Jordan); they can't even have any data on it yet. How could you tell whether it needs a turnaround plan?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The charter conversion plan makes no sense. I will be surprised if they can get people to make serious offers for more than a small fraction of them. I am also a little confused by the "turnaround plan" school list. I see Palmer Park Prep on it. I think the school has been open 6 months since it was reorganized [[formerly Hampton/Barbara Jordan); they can't even have any data on it yet. How could you tell whether it needs a turnaround plan?
    It's smoke and mirrors. There is no way this plan can work. Nevertheless, I remember in years past when a close list was produced, the school board would offer some resistance thus causing a revision of the close list. Now that Bobb has dictator powers, the school board can cry but all Bobb is going to do is put a bottle in their mouths and close the door.

Serious question:

What else is he suppose to do?

You have a smoldering population left in Detroit. Surely there has to be some drop in demand for schools to be filled. Not to mention DPS is not that great. I'm not sure, but hopefully they are keeping the best of whats left...

Just throwing this out there but I think Detroiters need to learn to roll over a bit. I know you all have been on the other end of the fan when the shit is thrown at it but your system[[s) is/are broke. Time to take it on the chin for a bit [[rather a little bit longer) becuase what you have/had is simply not working. Blame the population numbers on whatever flight du jour, but when it comes down to it, Detroit has been lacking effecient infrastructure and even moreso, an effecient leader that it can elect to legitamitely tighten the ropes without so much pushback from everyone. Hell, yet again, the current mayor and council can't get along thus creating stalemates and percieved "dictatorships" because the true leaders end up looking like bullys when attempting to make the drastic change nescesary.

One more thing. This is also Bobb's way of saying that DPS does in fact suck. He's offering and inviting in the enemy to dinner. In the article above it says how a bunch of students have gone to Charter schools. This welcoming of charter schools does'nt exactly say, "We have a great school system, but if you want we have a charter school nearby as an option!"

NorthEndere Guest

Well, isn't that exactly the complaint? If he wants to deconstruct DPS as a public school district, why not just say it and stop with the bullsh#t pretenses? Everyone thinks they know that's what he wants, but instead all we get is this jargon about him not wanting a "school system" but a "system of schools." Really, dude, WTF?

If he can find operators to be successful in chartering 40+ charters, god bless him. Yeah, good luck with that. But, it doesn't matter much to him; he'll be out of the door in a few months and they'll bring the next superman in.

Again, he's killing the district through uncertainty. He needs to end the uncertainty and announce that, yes, he is trying to 'creatively destroy' DPS and let the sh%t hit the fan, already, giving parents who've been on the edge for years the clarity to choose whether they want to continue to play this game of russian roulette with their children's education or move them out for good. Who in the hell is going to keep their kid in a system [[let alone add new outside kids to the district) when the administrator is dicking around with his citizen parents? They deserve to know his intentions and so do the students.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-31-11 at 03:55 AM.

Have a plan that makes sense. I don't think the DPS should exist. I have no objection to him closing schools. However, the idea that many schools that he can't afford to keep open are going to change into charters and become a revenue source is implausible. The idea of having turnaround plans for schools that have been in operation six months is incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Serious question:

You have a smoldering population left in Detroit. Surely there has to be some drop in demand for schools to be filled. Not to mention DPS is not that great. I'm not sure, but hopefully they are keeping the best of whats left...

Just throwing this out there but I think Detroiters need to learn to roll over a bit. I know you all have been on the other end of the fan when the shit is thrown at it but your system[[s) is/are broke. Time to take it on the chin for a bit [[rather a little bit longer) becuase what you have/had is simply not working. Blame the population numbers on whatever flight du jour, but when it comes down to it, Detroit has been lacking effecient infrastructure and even moreso, an effecient leader that it can elect to legitamitely tighten the ropes without so much pushback from everyone. Hell, yet again, the current mayor and council can't get along thus creating stalemates and percieved "dictatorships" because the true leaders end up looking like bullys when attempting to make the drastic change nescesary.
    adamjab19, you were quite critical in your post. You stated that Detroiters need to learn to roll over a bit. Are you suggesting that Detroiters never had to roll over before? As a Detroiter,I would love to hear your answer to how someone like me should learn how to roll over. Frankly, I think it is all hyperbole but I will give you the chance to prove me wrong.

Now, back to your post, what is Robert Bobb suppose to do? Answer: exactly what has been doing. For two years, Bobb has given pie in the sky ideas and surprise none have worked out.

I know that he has to close schools. The Census confirmed that but to sell the idea that replacing public schools with charters is a good thing is funny as hell. The schools are failing because of low enrollment so a sponsor is going to come in, turn the school into a charter and presto, the school is a success. Give me some of that Kool-Aid.

Default DPS closures and NR listed schools

Ok, here's the list I've compiled about affected schools from the newly released lists vs. those listed in 2010 on the National Register of Historic Places. Can't promise that this is all-encompassing, as program and building names have changed since even the past year, and in some cases the NR nomination used historical school names which are not in use. Also, a couple schools had been individually listed prior to the big listing in 2010. I recognized Beard Elem. as one of these, but there may be others.

Outright closure in June 2011:
    Carleton, Will Elementary [[1946)
    Sherill, Edwin Elementary [[1924)
    2 of 7

Outright closure in June 2012:
    Osborn, Laura High School [[1957)
    1 of 1

Candidates for conversion to Charter schools this summer, otherwise closure in June 2011:
    Beard Elementary [[1896) [[Listed individually on the NR in 1984 as Garfield Elem.)
    Carstens, Hattie Elementary [[1915)
    Hutchins, Harry Elementary [[1921)
    MacDowell, Edward Elementary [[1942)
    Wayne, Anthony Elementary [[1928)
    5 of 18

Candidates for the "Turnaround Charter Option,"staying open under DPS but also available for conversion into Charters:
    Hamilton, Alexander Elementary-Middle [[1927)
    Noble, Edna Elementary [[1923)
    Nolan, Benjamin Elementary [[1926)
    Sampson, William Elementary [[1911)
    White, Katherine Elementary [[1920)
    5 of 27

Buildings closing due to Proposal S new construction or replacement:
    Nienas, Frank Elementary [[1916)
    Barton, Clara Elementary [[1947)
    Mumford, Samuel High School [[1948)
    Finney, Jared High School [[1928) [[currently being demolished)

Yeah, so much for the million dollar "Im In" campaign -- now we're shifting to the "The last one turn off the lights-please" mode...
    One more thing. This is also Bobb's way of saying that DPS does in fact suck. He's offering and inviting in the enemy to dinner. In the article above it says how a bunch of students have gone to Charter schools. This welcoming of charter schools does'nt exactly say, "We have a great school system, but if you want we have a charter school nearby as an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    adamjab19, you were quite critical in your post. You stated that Detroiters need to learn to roll over a bit. Are you suggesting that Detroiters never had to roll over before? As a Detroiter,I would love to hear your answer to how someone like me should learn how to roll over. Frankly, I think it is all hyperbole but I will give you the chance to prove me wrong.

Now, back to your post, what is Robert Bobb suppose to do? Answer: exactly what has been doing. For two years, Bobb has given pie in the sky ideas and surprise none have worked out.

I know that he has to close schools. The Census confirmed that but to sell the idea that replacing public schools with charters is a good thing is funny as hell. The schools are failing because of low enrollment so a sponsor is going to come in, turn the school into a charter and presto, the school is a success. Give me some of that Kool-Aid.
    I know Detroiters have had to endure a lot of everything over a several year period. But it seems that finally there are some decent leaders in place, [[of course this is a matter of opinion) that should be allowed to do as they please with a lot less push back. Can it get any worse really? With Bobb it seems as though he has tried the little things first. Close some schools, fire up a PR campaign etc. Didn't work. Now the hammer is coming down. No matter how silly the idea may seem I think the charter school option is a way to calm the people into thinking that people aren't getting shut out from closing schools. Of course not every school will be taken over by a charter but even if a third get bought out then that softens the blow of a community saying that Bobb closed ALL of the schools.

My opinion may seem a bit of a dictatorship model or whatever but the people have already spoken by the decreasing population. It's time now for the officials to clean up the scraps any way necessary no matter how ridiculous or messy it gets.

NorthEndere Guest

I get the feeling that you really have no idea what you're talking about in regards to this situation. All I see if a bunch of silly and useless bravado, tired talking points, and chilched buzzwords/phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    I get the feeling that you really have no idea what you're talking about in regards to this situation. All I see if a bunch of silly and useless bravado, tired talking points, and chilched buzzwords/phrases.
    Not sure what else to say. Sure I am an outsider looking in and have only the information from newspapers and newscasts to form my opinions. Do you have some other source I can take into consideration or should I just take the 'don't live there, can't talk about it' road out of this thread?

It seems we agree that Bobb is basically pulling the wool over the citizens eyes and that schools need to close. You think he should be up front about it and I think he has to do it as a sidestep maneuver just so it's not a total disaster. Maybe not the most fair way to do it but I think it's what works for the community considering the outrage with previous school closings.

Not sure what else to say. Sure I am an outsider looking in and have only the information from newspapers and newscasts to form my opinions. Do you have some other source I can take into consideration or should I just take the 'don't live there, can't talk about it' road out of this thread?

It seems we agree that Bobb is basically pulling the wool over the citizens eyes and that schools need to close. You think he should be up front about it and I think he has to do it as a sidestep maneuver just so it's not a total disaster. Maybe not the most fair way to do it but I think it's what works for the community considering the outrage with previous school closings.
    Many of us knew two things.
    1) DPS was already a disaster. It was a disaster when the state took it over in 1999 and it was still a disaster when the state returned control to the board.
    2) Bobb knew he was pumping Kool-Aid in a lifeless corpse but when you are getting over $400Gs to keep the corpse on life-support, why complain?

Bobb knew from day one that DPS was done financially. Smaller tax base, less money coming from the state and charter schools sealed DPS fate years ago yet Bobb came in and made people believe that he and his mighty staff would get DPS right again. Yes, he chased crooks that was robbing the system and he had media promotions of DPS but this is DPS. It is still "lipstick on a pig." The parents that had already removed their kids weren't in no rush to come back. Old, dilapidated schools with minimal supplies is not enough to entice parents to bring their kids back and Bobb knew that but yes he had to sell that DPS is better yet he still have to close schools and now they are ready to sell their soul to the devil and promote more charter schools in Detroit. This is failure and Bobb got paid well to keep it alive.

Well stated... and this 'lipsticked pig' is still delivering the bacon for the new battery of vendors, consultants, advisors, and other pall bearers. They will not lower the corpse into the ground until the last invoice is paid and check cleared.

See yesterdays 'Let it Rip'
    Let It Rip: Robert Bobb's New Plan to Save

Article and video:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110331-wpms

Many of us knew two things.
    1) DPS was already a disaster. It was a disaster when the state took it over in 1999 and it was still a disaster when the state returned control to the board.
    2) Bobb knew he was pumping Kool-Aid in a lifeless corpse but when you are getting over $400Gs to keep the corpse on life-support, why complain?

Bobb knew from day one that DPS was done financially. Smaller tax base, less money coming from the state and charter schools sealed DPS fate years ago yet Bobb came in and made people believe that he and his mighty staff would get DPS right again. Yes, he chased crooks that was robbing the system and he had media promotions of DPS but this is DPS. It is still "lipstick on a pig." The parents that had already removed their kids weren't in no rush to come back. Old, dilapidated schools with minimal supplies is not enough to entice parents to bring their kids back and Bobb knew that but yes he had to sell that DPS is better yet he still have to close schools and now they are ready to sell their soul to the devil and promote more charter schools in Detroit. This is failure and Bobb got paid well to keep it alive.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-01-11 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well stated... and this 'lipsticked pig' is still delivering the bacon for the new battery of vendors, consultants, advisors, and others pall bearers. They will not lower the corpse into the ground until the last invoice is paid and check cleared.

See yesterdays 'Let it Rip'
    Let It Rip: Robert Bobb's New Plan to Save

Article and video:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110331-wpms
    Thanks for the link.......

I'm thinking of two words......hmm.......I got it. Debt forgiveness. The first thing that Jennifer Granholm should have done after appointing Robert Bobb as EFM is covered all DPS debts. That way, Bobb would have went in to DPS operating with a clean slate. He could maneuver with the threats of land mines no longer a problem. Well, that didn't happen so Bobb went in with a $200 million dollar deficit and Bobb came up with a closure list and he was going lay off teachers and staff and he privatized services in an effort to reduce the deficit. Well, the GOP can sell cuts all day long but you still have to spend money and one year after Bobb arrived, it was discovered that he increased the debt by $125 million dollars. How did he do that? He is after all the EFM. I will be interested to know what the debt is after year 2 of Bobb.

In Let It Rip, Anthony Adams sounds like he is lobbying for his next public job. When the rats overtake the boat, it's time for the fat cats to go overboard.

As it was mentioned [[with no response on LIR) the consultants, vendors et al are being paid huge amounts. They are part of the crew to save [[sic) DPS... yes, that's it. Save it, er no..... now charter it.... INDEED big money remains in public education. We are only arguing about who will get it...
    Thanks for the link.......

I'm thinking of two words......hmm.......I got it. Debt forgiveness. The first thing that Jennifer Granholm should have done after appointing Robert Bobb as EFM is covered all DPS debts. That way, Bobb would have went in to DPS operating with a clean slate. He could maneuver with the threats of land mines no longer a problem. Well, that didn't happen so Bobb went in with a $200 million dollar deficit and Bobb came up with a closure list and he was going lay off teachers and staff and he privatized services in an effort to reduce the deficit. Well, the GOP can sell cuts all day long but you still have to spend money and one year after Bobb arrived, it was discovered that he increased the debt by $125 million dollars. How did he do that? He is after all the EFM. I will be interested to know what the debt is after year 2 of Bobb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Ok, here's the list I've compiled about affected schools from the newly released lists vs. those listed in 2010 on the National Register of Historic Places. Can't promise that this is all-encompassing, as program and building names have changed since even the past year, and in some cases the NR nomination used historical school names which are not in use. Also, a couple schools had been individually listed prior to the big listing in 2010. I recognized Beard Elem. as one of these, but there may be others.

Outright closure in June 2011:
    Carleton, Will Elementary [[1946)
    Sherill, Edwin Elementary [[1924)
    2 of 7

Outright closure in June 2012:
    Osborn, Laura High School [[1957)
    1 of 1

Candidates for conversion to Charter schools this summer, otherwise closure in June 2011:
    Beard Elementary [[1896) [[Listed individually on the NR in 1984 as Garfield Elem.)
    Carstens, Hattie Elementary [[1915)
    Hutchins, Harry Elementary [[1921)
    MacDowell, Edward Elementary [[1942)
    Wayne, Anthony Elementary [[1928)
    5 of 18

Candidates for the "Turnaround Charter Option,"staying open under DPS but also available for conversion into Charters:
    Hamilton, Alexander Elementary-Middle [[1927)
    Noble, Edna Elementary [[1923)
    Nolan, Benjamin Elementary [[1926)
    Sampson, William Elementary [[1911)
    White, Katherine Elementary [[1920)
    5 of 27

Buildings closing due to Proposal S new construction or replacement:
    Nienas, Frank Elementary [[1916)
    Barton, Clara Elementary [[1947)
    Mumford, Samuel High School [[1948)
    Finney, Jared High School [[1928) [[currently being demolished)
    You forgot to mention Chadsey/Munger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast