Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Some lower Woodward developments

I walked by lower Woodward the other day and wanted to point out that:

1. 5&10 Bar in Kresge Shops has reopened and has been totally renovated. Check it out, this place needs our business. Prices are reasonable for food and drinks.

2. Studio Couture has opened [[reopened?) in a storefront under the Lofts of Merchant's Row. Their launch party was a week or so ago.

The lower Woodward is hunger for mom and pop businesses like a dollar stores, bakeries, clothiers, barber shops and beautu salons, pager shops, restaurants [[ like soul food, Thai, Coneys, bar and grill and burger places. Start those places first and then the fancy gourment shops will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The lower Woodward is hunger for mom and pop businesses like a dollar stores, bakeries, clothiers, barber shops and beautu salons, pager shops, restaurants [[ like soul food, Thai, Coneys, bar and grill and burger places. Start those places first and then the fancy gourment shops will appear.
    The Broderick Tower Rehab and [[hopefully subsequent) Whitney Building Rehab, will certainly start an infill of businesses between GCP and CM. Not to mention the Madison buildout and possible arrival of an additional 2,000 Quicken Loans employees. The more people that not only walk by there to get home, but also are in the area, will undoubtedly have some sort of impact. It will happen, but it will be slow.

Problem is there has been no reason to travel Woodward between the two areas, so there has been no consistent foot traffic and thus no interest from potential business owners.

However, I did notice that a few of the spaces come with their own liquor licenses. Liquor licenses are very difficult to get in Wayne County, there are only a certain number of them out there, and they don't create new ones. You have to either buy one from somebody or get on a looooong waiting list. So a few of those places would be pretty attractive when interest builds.
    Last edited by esp1986; March-30-11 at 02:19 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Great! I'll swing by after work tomorrow. I get off at seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Barber shops and salons are all over the place down there. D'Mongos in the Himelhoch building, and some others over on Washington.

Pager store? What..is this the 1990's? We want this corridor to be attractive, not just a good location for "strip mall" stores.

I do agree with the restaurants though. Although there is already a Thai place near Campus Martius. I would go for a good burger place or Sould food place in this area.