Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Midtown smelly

Default Midtown smelly

The air smells of burning fuel and piss. It tastes like metal.

Driving northbound on the Lodge this morning at like 6:00 am there was a huge cloud of smoke floating around the freeway near I-94....its smelled of the same and it was blown into my air vents...sick.. Maybe a car fire or something?

When I went to WSU I noticed the steam vents smelled particularly bad in the spring. Maybe the melting snow washes grime into the vents where it's vaporized?

Sometimes after the melt, when the sewers start running, you can get some pretty nasty whiffs of sewer gas.

When I lived in midtown, It was smelly like a Del-Rey toilet! all the way to mid spring. Add in the 'inSTINKerator' in the east side and contrary winds and smell will come.

When I visited NYC years ago, the air was like pepper up my nose. Business people would call that the sweet smell of success. But in Detroit, I'm not so sure.

The incinerator has been blowing westward for a few weeks, it seems.

I didn't notice any smell today in the DMC area.

Not to downplay your suffering, but NOTHING smells as bad as it did growing up on the Southwest Side in the 60's! Ford's, Zug Island, Great Lakes Steel, the packing plant, the refineries, River Rouge - rotten eggs on a Good Day. Thanks for the memories . . .

Worst smell in the world is near the slaughter houses by the eastern Market. [[if there's any left)

Russix was just having a stroke

Not Detroit, but I was up at a bowling alley in Bay City last fall and the smell outside was just atrocious. There is a sugar-beet processing plant right in town...and holy cow does it smell bad.