Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Just raise the sales tax for gosh sakes

In this dire time of attempted revenue raising, unprecedented cuts and major cuts to Michigans quality of life,, why dont we just raise our sales tax to 6.75% or 7%. The amount of increased revenue would save many needed programs for our state provided its allocated properly. We are by far one of the most reasonable states in the US with our tax rate. Chicago/Ill comes in a 8.75-11.75 depending where your at, cleveland/ Oh 7.75%, Ontario 13% and so on and so on, and no we are not Florida.The revenue is paid by everybody, both visitors and residents and we could take some of these funds and fix some of our faultering roads, [[ which will eventually hurt tourism greatly if we dont watch it), schools, needed programs etc. This inturn makes our state a better place to live for current residents and any furture people and companies. It s a absolute no brainer, people are not going to rebel at this increase , its small compared to our neighbors and we would still be paying less than our bordering states/provinces. . The pain is spread amongst all people and fixing these roads could actually help tourism which will inturn generate more revenue. We are a huge tourism state if I remember. When disussing this with friends [[ both Republican and Democrat) they laughed and said there is no way Snyder would push that, as his republican comrades cut Granholm to pieces when she tried to suggest it several years ago and dont want to look bad now.. For gosh sakes, push crazy politics aside, lets do something to increase our revenues to get our state rolling in the right direction. Our state coffers are broke and much more pain is down the road unless we get a little imaginative. Lobby your reps and governor for this. The benefit to us will greatly outweigh any cost. We would barely even notice this increase, yet our state could generate alot of new revenue.

Vox Guest

Sign a petition for recalling the fool. Better yet, help pass one out when the time comes. There is a movement in the formative stages to do just that. Stay tuned.

The sales tax is a regressive tax. Thank goodness we don't tax food in Michigan thanks to Common Cause's campaign many years ago. There should be a luxury tax on certain services like hair dressing and nails and pricey baubles and gas guzzlers. Don't taxes on gas go to road maintenance? I've brought up the way Michigan repairs its roads which seem to require constant rebuilding. When I travel to my inlaws in upstate New York, I pay tolls. When I traveled through New Jersey to NYC, it seemed that every little burg on the highway had a toll booth.

Don't raise it, I like to do my shopping when I come home to Michigan. Sales tax where I live is 11%. It was awful when I bought a flatscreen tv at best buy

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Sign a petition for recalling the fool. Better yet, help pass one out when the time comes. There is a movement in the formative stages to do just that. Stay tuned.
    Where were you for the past eight years?

6% is enough. Michigan needs to cut it's spending. I way enough in taxes out of what I make. Sales tax, property tax, income tax. I'm done.

DetroitDad Guest

Can I use labor as tax?

DetBill, I like it. If Michiganders want it spent, which it seems we do, we have an obligation to pay for it. We get what we pay for and we must pay for what we get.

Same for the Federal budget. Polls keep showing that when they're asked item by item, the public doesn't really support spending cuts. Only logical conclusion then is that they must support a tax increase. There is no third option.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    DetBill, I like it. If Michiganders want it spent, which it seems we do, we have an obligation to pay for it. We get what we pay for and we must pay for what we get.

Same for the Federal budget. Polls keep showing that when they're asked item by item, the public doesn't really support spending cuts. Only logical conclusion then is that they must support a tax increase. There is no third option.
    I've been trying to figure out what sort of additional taxes would be most acceptable to deal with the $800/family tax increases the Democrats have set us up for in Wisconsin. Obviously, it would be unacceptable to peddle a State income tax increase of this amount. Raising the annual registration fees on vehicles, based on their fuel economy, might bridge a quarter of the gap and encourage higher mileage and fewer vehicles. Excise taxes on jewelry, cars over a certain price, and other very non-essentials could be a progressive source of income. Since Illinois has toll roads one almost has to use when leaving Wisconsin, a $7 toll on any vehicle entering Wisconsin from Illinois would be satisfying. Use permits and fees, including State tuition, could easily be raised. Living within one's means might be a better solution.

I disagree with the results of asking item by item. I would like to keep all my freebies too. It might be better to ask how much people are willing to pay in taxes and then present them with a list of costs to balance their spending wishes. I, for instance since you brought up federal spending, would start with eliminating all corporate subsidies, illegal immigration subsidies, and all spending not authorized by the 10th Amendment as well as wars not declared by Congress and maintaining troops in over a hundred countries. That together with ending the Bush/Obama tax cuts on the rich should eliminate about two/thirds of the annual deficit. it would be a good start before even looking at entitlements.