Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Old Water Mains

Default Old Water Mains

Name:  P1010001.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  29.7 KB

I picked this baby up an estate sale. I've never seen one like this before. I assume it's some type of shut off switch for a water supply. Can any one tell me the vintage, or application? Something like this does not seem to make sense for a residential area, I am assuming it was in a factory or boiler room or something like that.

You can find similar valves on sprinkler systems in large industrial facilities.

Welcome to the world of Post Indicator Valves [[PIVs)! Strictly speaking, a PIV is the unseen gate [[or butterfly) valve used to control water supply to sprinkler, deluge, water spray, foam and standpipe systems used for fire protection in large buildings and factories. The PIV controls water flow into the private system from the public water system.
    http://www.firehydrant.org/pictures/WSAindex.html

it looks cute next to the doggie!

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    [FONT=times][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Welcome to the world of Post Indicator Valves [[PIVs)!

LOL! I don't think I've ever seen anyone get excited about PIV's!

Is that a Sectional Control Valve in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

I vaguely recall seeing one of those in an industrial alleyway in Phoenix except it was painted red. It didn't seem to be anything special. Our group didn't have anything to do with it but because we were in the vicinity we were trained to shut it off in a flood emergency.

Funny story: In that same area occasionally a warning bell would ring followed by a flood of water coming through a wall out of an overhead pipe into the alley. I later learned this was required to flush the fire sprinkler system. Some poor guy didn't get the memo and was standing directly beneath the pipe when the bell rang. He didn't know what to do. Man, did he get a drenched! LOL!

There are some of these at Eastland Mall infront of Hudsons, or whatever they call that department store there now.

Wow! Thanks for the information everybody! My girlfriend thought this was a weird thing for me to stick in the garden, but we later agreed it looked pretty cool there.