Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Historic Lowe-Martin Mansion [[Devonshire Lodge) in Walkerville vandalized!

I sure do hate people sometimes

Here's the story:

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Hist...087/story.html

Here's Andrew's shots of the inside:

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=653

LodgeDodger Guest

Rotten little bastards. That staircase is going to be expensive to repair. I hope they catch them and string 'em up.

Vella said he knew the building’s true value was in its architecture, history and importance to the community. “It never really belonged to me. The house belongs to the city — to the people and the city.”

We truly are just the caretakers of these buildings as we pass through life,so sad that some do not get that.

So cool is the contrast of the built-in kitchen ice box when compared to the "newer" fridge next to it.

Rich people still have very expensive, and high end "iceboxes" like that except todays are automatic and do not need ice, that ridiculous fridge in the picture is a "poor person item" in this case.

What an absolutely amazing home.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Rich people still have very expensive, and high end "iceboxes" like that except todays are automatic and do not need ice.
    Klondike case:

http://oldicebox.com/

It's popular to retrofit old iceboxes like the one in the picture with modern compressors. They are very efficient as they have loads of insulation - the retrofit pays for itself after a couple of years.

Looking at the picture and the time frame the home was built in it looks to me like it was electric automatic refrigeration there, looks like the compressors were underneath. No doubt on these units being built like a brick shithouse.

Regardless a very cool house, I love the the wood, the leaded glass and the design on the ceiling.

I have to deal with vandals on an almost daily basis. What those idiots did is just wrong.

When vandals hit Detroit homes and rip everything but the kitch sink, they will do it in Windsor's Detroit's problems is finally spreading to Windsor. You all folks are not as safe across the river border.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

At least you all Windsorites leave the doors unlock.

Neda, I miss you so.