Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Megabus expands in Detroit

Beginning May 11, Megabus.com will offer daily departures from Detroit to Pittsburgh and Toledo for as low as $1.

The city-to-city bus company announced today that Pittsburgh will serve as a new hub and will begin daily service to and from nine new cities, including Detroit, according to a news release.

Dale Moser, president of Coach USA/megabus.com, said the popularity of the bus service has led it to expand routes.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110329/...#ixzz1I0e5cAsy
    This will effectively bridge the gap between their East Coast and Midwest networks. It would be nice if they added a route between Detroit and Toronto...

How awesome for both cities. We finally have a way east and Pittsburgh will be a hub. Very much a win-win situation. And yes, now we need a way to Toronto!

UPDATE: Pittsburgh will be offering service to Toronto. So not us, but there will be a way to get to Toronto for cheaper and not using not the car. Very excited!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; March-29-11 at 12:27 PM.

This is wonderful, a new way to get east! Detroit has been the end of a spoke for Chicago service for too long.

Does this replace high speed rail?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Does this replace high speed rail?
    http://www.theonion.com/video/obama-...ith-hig,18473/

$1???? And I know someone in Pittsburg too. Happy days are here again!

For as low as $1.00. Most fares will not be $1.00. The typical one-way fare between NYC and DC - one of their more popular runs is about $20.00 each way. The typical one-way fare between Detroit and Chicago is also $20.00 Though if you do know someone in Pittburgh - you can actually book your tickets today on Megabus for only $1.00 if you click on the map that shows tickets that far in advance [[i.e.after May 11). http://us.megabus.com/

I had a friend take greyhound from toronto to detroit a few years ago. VIA rail also goes between windsor and toronto.

Via is easy and direct from Windsor to Toronto. The service is stellar. Costs a fair amount more than $1 but will also get you there in hours....with no circuitous route through central west Pennsylvania. They also have a couple trains a day which run from Sarnia to Toronto if the Blue Water Bridge option is more your cup of tea.

That's great that the Megabus is offering more options to take cars off the Interstate from Detroit, but I doubt you'll ever find me on one of them. Too many times I have spied their buses exceeding the speedlimit passing me in the left lane and swerving all over the highway. Nevermind the couple recent accidents they have had out east. No thank you. Still, maybe the "Megabus class" will help gentrify the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    That's great that the Megabus is offering more options to take cars off the Interstate from Detroit, but I doubt you'll ever find me on one of them. Too many times I have spied their buses exceeding the speedlimit passing me in the left lane and swerving all over the highway. Nevermind the couple recent accidents they have had out east. No thank you. Still, maybe the "Megabus class" will help gentrify the Rosa Parks Transit Center.
    What Megabus accidents out east?

ETA: Just Googled it. Interesting that I never heard about this since I live in NYC... There have been a couple of high profile accidents involving other tour bus operators in NYC that have recently drawn the scrutiny of New York State.
    Last edited by iheartthed; March-29-11 at 04:07 PM.

Toledo already connects with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, in turn, connects with Washington D.C. and NYC.

map of system
    http://us.megabus.com/routemap.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Still, maybe the "Megabus class" will help gentrify the Rosa Parks Transit Center.
    How do you gentrify a new building? Kick out the cat washers?

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    For as low as $1.00. Most fares will not be $1.00. The typical one-way fare between NYC and DC - one of their more popular runs is about $20.00 each way. The typical one-way fare between Detroit and Chicago is also $20.00 Though if you do know someone in Pittburgh - you can actually book your tickets today on Megabus for only $1.00 if you click on the map that shows tickets that far in advance [[i.e.after May 11). http://us.megabus.com/
    Question, why are they selling tickets so cheap? Yes, before I made my first post I did look at the prices for a trip from Detroit to Pittsburgh in July and it was $1 both ways + $.50 booking fee. Seems unbelievably cheap even for a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Question, why are they selling tickets so cheap? Yes, before I made my first post I did look at the prices for a trip from Detroit to Pittsburgh in July and it was $1 both ways + $.50 booking fee. Seems unbelievably cheap even for a promotion.
    Fares as low as $1 is MegaBus's tagline, so they always sell the first few seats for $1 + booking fee [[$0.50).

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Toledo already connects with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, in turn, connects with Washington D.C. and NYC.

map of system
    http://us.megabus.com/routemap.aspx
    The Toledo to Pittsburgh service starts at the same time as the Detroit to Pittsburgh. Currently the MegaBus network only connects to Pittsburgh from the East Coast.

LodgeDodger Guest

Excellent news.

I think Megabus offers the cheaper seats to at least gurarantee seats will be filled. Megabus buses run on a schedule [[e.g. departing at 2:00 and arriving in Pittsburgh at 7:30). Many of the Chinatown buses in NYC and DC operate on a similar schedule but do not leave their destination until the bus is completely full - so you could be scheduled to leave at 9:00 but might not depart until 10:30. In addition Chinatown buses tend to be predominately cash only - though you can buy online. Megabus and Bolt tend to require you to purchase a ticket online and only if there are extra seats can you buy in cash. So Megabus weeds out the crowd that typically would ride a cash only bus [[e.g. tickets at a station: Greyhound/Chinatown buses). Megabus tends to attract the college/young professional/tourist crowd.

Re: prices being so cheap

One thing I've ive heard is that Chicago [[and possibly other cities) subsidize part of the cost as a way to bring tourists in. I've taken the megabus to chicago a few times and it can be hit or miss but mostly good.

I'm always looking for cheap ways to travel and megabus is a good way to get to chicago. I'll keep checking their site as they've added quite a few routes since they started.

It can be expensive but Porter Airlines recently started flying to Windsor from Toronto a few times a day. If you keep an eye on the website http://www.flyporter.com/ some great deals can be had, particularly if you aren't picky about when to fly. I will also add that Porter flies to the Downtown airport in TO. literally a 50 foot ferry ride to streetcar service downtown or anywhere for that matter.
    Last edited by jayclarkreid; March-30-11 at 04:53 PM.

Booked by tickets for the weekend of May 20th when the Tigers will be there playing the Pirates in interleague play, can't wait!