Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bridge ambassadors: Moroun's family leads image redo

Last week, Matty Moroun announced he was putting new windows and a roof in the hulking Michigan Central Depot, criticized as a symbol of urban decay along Michigan Avenue. It's all part of an effort to put a human face on the powerful family often simply labeled "reclusive."

"We have never seen ourselves as reclusive, but simply as private," Nora Moroun recently told The News in a sit-down interview. "Basically, we are appearing more in public at the request of the media. I enjoy some of it, but it can be difficult because we're not always looked upon in a positive manner.
    It comes down to the bridge

Nora Moroun began fighting back against public perception last April when she stunned reporters in Detroit with an emotional defense of her husband and his operation of the bridge following a press conference led by then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm touting the need for a new, publicly owned international crossing.
    That project is in direct conflict with a plan by Matty Moroun to build his own new bridge, which would twin the 82-year-old Ambassador.

His Detroit International Bridge Co. has waged a highly critical attack against plans by the Canadian and U.S. governments — along with the Michigan Department of Transportation — to build a new $5.2 billion bridge connecting southwest Detroit and Canada.

"They want to destroy our family business and [[have) government take it over," Nora Moroun said. "My husband is battling two countries and two governments: Is this the end of the American dream?"

PR efforts may fall short

Peter Samuel, publisher of the Frederick, Md.-based Toll Road News, said it's a toss-up whether the increased exposure will help improve the Moroun image.

"Moroun certainly has an image as a capitalistic ogre … who uses his considerable financial resources to buy political support," said Samuel, whose publication provides news on toll roads and bridges. "I guess it is a good idea from their point of view … it helps them a bit to show more of a face in this era of TV and video."
    Source: http://detnews.com/article/20110329/METRO/103290369/Bridge-ambassadors--Moroun’s-family-leads-image-redo#ixzz1I0XMMLqn
    Last edited by begingri; March-29-11 at 11:47 AM.

Before I watched the video of Nora/read the story I thought the Morouns were the typical corporate villans. But I'll admit to feeling empthay when listening to Nora in the video. There are thousands of people who depend on Moroun's jobs - and he could just as easily up and move them to Tennessee or Alabama. Not that that gives him a blank slate, but I feel that just because he doesn't open a downtown midrise office building or own a professional sports team - doesn't make him any less "legitimate" as a Detroiter. The train station/bridge are business transactions he's trying to leverage and separate from this discussion.

I think the values/mindsets are different. The Morouns seem to be [[from this four minute video) the type who belive that the right hand shouldn't know what the left hand does in terms of philanthropy/public exposure. They value their privacy and don't pretend to care that the greater populace doesn't care what philanthropic event they attended on a Saturday night. This is contrasted with others who plaster their names on buildings/dedicate wings of buildings after themselves. I think the ability to make that much money and lead a quiet and peacebale life is a sign of class. And good reporting by the News w/ this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Before I watched the video of Nora/read the story I thought the Morouns were the typical corporate villans. But I'll admit to feeling empthay when listening to Nora in the video. There are thousands of people who depend on Moroun's jobs - and he could just as easily up and move them to Tennessee or Alabama. Not that that gives him a blank slate, but I feel that just because he doesn't open a downtown midrise office building or own a professional sports team - doesn't make him any less "legitimate" as a Detroiter. The train station/bridge are business transactions he's trying to leverage and separate from this discussion.

I think the values/mindsets are different. The Morouns seem to be [[from this four minute video) the type who belive that the right hand shouldn't know what the left hand does in terms of philanthropy/public exposure. They value their privacy and don't pretend to care that the greater populace doesn't care what philanthropic event they attended on a Saturday night. This is contrasted with others who plaster their names on buildings/dedicate wings of buildings after themselves. I think the ability to make that much money and lead a quiet and peacebale life is a sign of class. And good reporting by the News w/ this piece.

Matty Maroun is as dastardly and dirty as they come. It speaks volumes how scared this DRIC has made him that he is allowing any light to penetrate the empire.

How much are they paying you?

I know several professional people who worked for the DIBC. They became revolted at the working conditions, expectations and left. Moroun also is a stingy boss and there are not "thousands" of jobs at the Bridge. Where does that come from? maybe there are 100 -150 jobs at the DIBC - most of them low-paying hourly jobs at the ticket booths that Moroun promised to Horace Sheffield's pals. Maybe 25 or 30 jobs in the Duty-Free Store. A few jobs in the corporate offices - and most of the executive jobs are family.

The customs jobs are federal jobs and would move to the new bridge if Moroun "up and moves to Tennessee or Alabama."

Dick Morris earning his money.

Maybe he should take the Monica Conyers tack and host his own talk show, "Monday Morning with Matty"

Centra alone appears to have 4,000 employees. I wasn't limiting it to just the bridge. http://www.hoovers.com/company/CenTra_Inc/ssyxsi-1.html

I, by no means, was insinuating everything that he does is good. I'm right in line with everyone else for wanting him to restore the train station and having the government build a second bridge [[and getting the 500 million dollars leveraged from Canda)
    I was merely pointing out it was an interesting side of the family/perspective I had never seen before. One can still respect a family's wishes/philosophy without agreeing with all their business decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I know several professional people who worked for the DIBC. They became revolted at the working conditions, expectations and left. Moroun also is a stingy boss and there are not "thousands" of jobs at the Bridge. Where does that come from? maybe there are 100 -150 jobs at the DIBC - most of them low-paying hourly jobs at the ticket booths that Moroun promised to Horace Sheffield's pals. Maybe 25 or 30 jobs in the Duty-Free Store. A few jobs in the corporate offices - and most of the executive jobs are family.

The customs jobs are federal jobs and would move to the new bridge if Moroun "up and moves to Tennessee or Alabama."
    The Moroun trucking empire headquartered in Warren has about 7,000 people on the payroll worldwide.

I, by no means, was insinuating everything that he does is good.
    LOL ... you'll discover quickly on here that if you deviate from the line that Moroun is anything but an genuinely evil man and that his bridge kills people, and that the new public bridge is anything but a guaranteed economic miracle, you'll be instantly branded an apostate who's been paid by Dan Stamper to spew heretical propaganda on Moroun's behalf.

Centra is not the DIBC.

Perhaps Moroun would move his trucking out of Michigan if he was denied his bridge. But I doubt it. And how many of the 7000 jobs that you say are worldwide are in Michigan?

I guess I am fairly neutral about the Maroun business empire. If he does do some upgrades to the MCS building, then great regardless of the reasons. But, if his business interests are large enough, could he not use the MCS building for his own purposes? Could he not begin renovations and move his own offices there? Even if he were to only need a portion of the building? It seems that he may already have some motivation to restore the building to house his own employees.

The strategy of letting it sit empty until a major tenant is found before starting renovation does not appear to be accomplishing anything so far.

but like somebody on Dyes said a while back - at least Maroun owning the vacant MCS building is not as bad as the city owning the property. The relatively minor improvements in the complex in the last two years are better than what the city would have accomplished.
    Last edited by kryptonite; March-29-11 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Centra is not the DIBC.

Perhaps Moroun would move his trucking out of Michigan if he was denied his bridge. But I doubt it. And how many of the 7000 jobs that you say are worldwide are in Michigan?
    My guess is about 4,000. Could be more or less. I don't foresee any scenario in which he'd move the trucking holdings elsewhere.

Something else to consider is that Moroun is 83. The legal quicksand that the DRIC/NITC bridge will enter for land acquisition probably will take many years to settle. He'll probably be long dead by the time a new bridge would enter service, or to be have construction begin. The person that will loom larger is Matthew Moroun, who is 39. He's going to inherit the bridge and Centra, etc., or at least fill his father's role.

In the story I wrote a few weeks ago, Lt. Gov. Calley said it will be up to two years after the bridge legislation is approved before dirt will be turned. That's assuming there are no hurdles. Obviously, since Moroun owns land in the NITC footprint, there will be government/legal action, probably an eminent domain case. Snyder and Calley could be out of office before the new bridge is cleared.

By then, we'll have a better idea if the MDOT traffic prediction of 70% growth in the Detroit border corridor [[by 2016) will be true. If it is, no opposition will remain in any sector to the span. If it doesn't, it will continue to be hard to justify it -- especially if the Ambassador Bridge drops its tolls.

A toll war will be on the bond market's mind because the DRIC study predicates its financial justification on the Ambassador Bridge's toll rates. The private sector infrastructure firms interested in building DRIC have expressed concern about a pure toll concession to cover capital and operational costs. Even the consortium building the Windsor-Essex Parkway want a taxpayer subsidy for the bridge.

If Lansing can get Michigan a true "free lunch" when it comes to the proposed bridge, then that's quite a political victory. However, a lot of people -- unaligned with Moroun -- in the infrastructure industry are extremely skeptical of the bridge proposal. If Canadian politicians are able to get the Canadian people to absorb all the risk, then it truly is a free lunch for Michigan.

These are legitimate economic and philosophical questions. Asking them, however, arouses contempt from people who believe that Moroun must be destroyed at all costs -- which is not sound fiscal stewardship of public money.

Belleislerunner please dont apologize.
    Mrs Moroun reminds me of Bill Davidsons wife to some degreee. I wonder how much power she will have after Matty's death.
    Interesting that they married and when she was a 21 year old dancer and and he was rich 43 year old business man.

MCS ? Would it still be standing given Detroits stance on slash and demolish if he had not purchased it?

Property taxes? Has he not or continues to keep taxes currant on the MCS and all of the other derelict properties he owns in contrast to the other speculators that have been recently brought to light.

I do not need to know how he brushes his teeth and if he chooses to not toot his own horn that is his decision.

Sorry flame me if you wish but he reminds me of the old farmers that I grew up around they were worth millions but you never knew it because it was not anybody else's business. They worked hard to get where they were and the made their contributions to society expecting no pat on the back for it.It was their sense of pride and it was all that mattered to them.

If one tries to understand the older generation and the way things were then and I am talking about before my fathers generation then you would have a bit more understanding.

We see what we choose to see and because it is not out there every day what the good one does compared to the "bad" has no comparison.

Deftly done, Bshea. Come up with a few, seemingly reasonable arguments for Moroun, ignore or soft-pedal his corrupt, backroom-dealing practices, then tar all who oppose him as absolutists on a witch hunt. Giving Dick Morris a run for his money...

So asking economic and philosophical questions is only proper so long as they steer clear of Maroun's motivations? Sort of interesting bias there. Shocking coming from Crain's. Truly shocking.

You know what Richard, you're right when you say ...
    Sorry flame me if you wish but he reminds me of the old farmers that I grew up around they were worth millions but you never knew it because it was not anybody else's business.
    And all the subsidies they received to assist them in becoming "millionaires" are no one's business either.[[2 billion to Michigan farmers growing corn the last 4 years alone)
    Last edited by bailey; March-29-11 at 02:11 PM.

What arguments are there for Moroun in what I wrote?

There are legitimate questions about DRIC/NITC regardless of who owns the Ambassador Bridge. The simply existence of that bridge is a factor in funding the new bridge.

People are unable to divorce their personal loathing of Moroun from a level-headed discussion of the economic case for the new bridge. The AB is a factor in the equation. Whether Moroun is a slumlord and/or 24-carat jackass is immaterial except for what his bridge will do in response to the public bridge. As I reported, Dan Stamper alluded to the DIBC doing that very thing, which is a massive factor to consider.

Those who oppose him to a pretty good job of tarring themselves as absolutists based on what I read here and in some local publications. Feeling about him are pretty cut/dried. And the accusations that every politicians he donates to is simply on the take for him, and incapable of having a legitimate philosophical concern otherwise, is a shortcut to thinking.

When am I going to read about all the money donated by pro-DRIC advocates to state and federal politicians? It's in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. No one else seems to want to write that story, just demonize and advocate.

I've written that his claims on a legal monopoly on border bridge traffic is disputed even by those who think he's right on other things, or that DRIC is problematic. [[link)

In the end, whether Moroun is a goat or saint is immaterial. It's about economics, and it's a bit more complex than "Moroun is bad" or "DRIC isn't needed."

Richard seems to think that moroun is a generous man who "keeps it to himself" and doesn't toot his own horn. But generosity gets out - no doubt about it, and there's not been a whisper of Moroun generosity over many years until just a few days ago!
    I think that Moroun has left a very small philanthropic foot-print in the Detroit region. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    So asking economic and philosophical questions is only proper so long as they steer clear of Maroun's motivations? Sort of interesting bias there. Shocking coming from Crain's. Truly shocking.
    Who steers clear of his motivations? He's trying to protect what he believes is a Congressionally-approved border monopoly, and his business interests.

Is that a rational business decision? Yes.
    Are some of his methods questionable? Yes.
    Has he opened himself to the criticism he gets from the condition of his properties? Yes.
    Is he waging a hearts/minds image campaign that's open to skepticism? Yes.
    Do some people blindly swallow what the government tells them? Apparently so.

Yes and no , How many business's are subsidized with tax payer dollars and those owners then become millionaires? How is that any different?

I am not trying to defend or justify,because without all of the questions answered it would be a biased stance.How is he really any different then any other billionaire through out history? Because his private life is personal it becomes hard to really weigh the good to the bad.

Someone last week donated $100 million to Western Michigan. Anonymously. It could have been him. Ever heard of the Kalamazoo Promise? It could have been anyone. Steve Schwarzman donated $100 million to the NY Public Library to have his name plastered on it. Just because you don't know about one's philanthropy - doesn't make it any less meaningfull.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    In the end ... it's a bit more complex than "Moroun is bad" or "DRIC isn't needed."
    Reasonable enough ...

It would be extremely hard to run a billion dollar business without donating millions thats the way the tax code is set up.

Provide some examples. No one in SW Detroit knows of any, except some recent ones to Horace Sheffield and some small contributions to LA SED [[which organization immediately began a court action to halt the DIBC as environmentally racist). I suppose we'll see that he or the DIBC makes campiagn contributions to Ellen "Elena" Herrada - as she is on record that SW Detroit needs an Hispanic rep in Lansing - not Tlaib who is "not the right color."

oddly, Moroun just can't get the respected leaders on his side. He goes for the corrpt and corruptable, the liars and the greedy, tthe ones who would sell out to make a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Who steers clear of his motivations? He's trying to protect what he believes is a Congressionally-approved border monopoly, and his business interests.

Is that a rational business decision? Yes.
    Are some of his methods questionable? Yes.
    Has he opened himself to the criticism he gets from the condition of his properties? Yes.
    Is he waging a hearts/minds image campaign that's open to skepticism? Yes.
    Do some people blindly swallow what the government tells them? Apparently so.
    if his methods are questionable, he's open to criticism, and he needs a PR campaign to get anyone to take him even remotely seriously... why are we to swallow his arguments any faster than the Govts?

I mean I'm not criticizing Maroun's ruthlessness, you don't get to be a billionare by not being ruthless. I'm simply laughing at the ridiculous PR campaign to paint him as a dottering, harmless old eccentric that just has the best interests of his employees and neighbors at heart. It's insulting because everyone knows it's completely bullshit and I immediately disbelieve any further message he has because it's originates from a cynical snake oil salesman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast