Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Gas Is Best" above ground storage tank near DET [[City Airport)...

Several fellow former Detroiters like me were talking about eastside stuff when the topic of the big gas storage tank across French Rd. came up. What year was the tank dismantled? I'm thinking 1969. Was the utility that owned the tank at the time called Michigan Consolidated Gas? What went on the tank site after it came down, the Chrylser facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Several fellow former Detroiters like me were talking about eastside stuff when the topic of the big gas storage tank across French Rd. came up. What year was the tank dismantled? I'm thinking 1969. Was the utility that owned the tank at the time called Michigan Consolidated Gas? What went on the tank site after it came down, the Chrylser facility?
    It was indeed Michigan Consolidated, however the tank came down a number of years prior to 1969......fairly early 1960's. There is someone on this board that may know the exact year. The tank site remained property of Mich Con, the parking lot there was enlarged about where the tank was. The Chrysler facility back then was a seperate piece of property.

I was on top of that tank as a kid, because my dad worked at the Lynch Rd. outpost from 1953 until about 1965. I also worked at that location off and on from 1971 thru 1975.

Using the DTE aerial photos as reference, the storage tank came down sometime between 1961 and 1967. There is still a MichCon natural gas operations building on part of the former site, while the former tank site location itself is occupied by a MichCon service center.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1191250117

And before it was MichCon it was Detroit City Gas.

The storage tank at Schaefer and Lyndon had a large neon sign stating "Gas is best, the automatic gas way" prior to 1950. About that year, it was shortened simply to "Gas is best". I lived in the shadow of that tank for all my early years.