Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default PSL HS Basketball An ERA Ends

An issue that we always talk about on the Detroit forums is the demise of DPS. Well here is one of the by-products of the Detroit schools failing

http://detnews.com/article/20110328/...ts-former-self

The PSL was always a league that was in most years the best in the state in basketball and one of the best in the nation. You could go to games and see multiple kids who would go on to play Div 1 basketball or in some cases the NBA.
    As a matter of fact up until the early 1990's many of the guys going to the NBA were starters or at least in the rotation for there teams.

While I agree that the population drop has much to do with the situation, I believe the lack of good coaching plays an almost equal role in the PSL becoming a run of the mill conference.

The population decline and the exodus of Detroit students to other school districts has adversely affected the high school sports in Detroit.

So what you will see is that schools in the suburbs such as Redford, Madison Heights, St. Clair Shores, and communities on the fringes will become more competitive.

It the same thing that happen with college basketball. The talent pool gets mixed and Butler and VCU makes the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    The population decline and the exodus of Detroit students to other school districts has adversely affected the high school sports in Detroit.

So what you will see is that schools in the suburbs such as Redford, Madison Heights, St. Clair Shores, and communities on the fringes will become more competitive.

It the same thing that happen with college basketball. The talent pool gets mixed and Butler and VCU makes the Final Four.
    I agree with your statements on HS and College basketball, I think that for college however the one and two years and done players have tilted the edge toward the mid-majors who have mostly four year players. Put that with some young upcoming coaches and you have VCU and Butler making strong playoff runs.

As far as HS let me throw a little twist into my first post. Even though PSL basketball has become less competitive with the decline of DPS, PSL football has become more competitive. I attribute it to better coaching over the last few years. The PSL has been making deep football playoff runs over the past few years. In basketball the coaches in the league spend too much time recruiting and not enough time on x's and o's and developing their players and it is showing.

For example K-zoo central has won the last two championships. Basically in that city you are going to go to one of two public schools and I doubt that there is the ability to recruit county wide. The K-zoo coach sits three of his contributing players for the ENTIRE game and they still beat S.Eastern

The PSL coaches need a wake up call to actually start doing some teaching and stop trying to out-talent everyone else, especially when that talent is leaving the district.

Twenty years ago you could look at the all PSL teams and they had guys on the 5th team and beyond that went on to play D1 basketball. Little East Catholic alone had at least one and usually two D1 players each year.

I recall reading an artcle in which a well repected former PSL football coach said that they just don't spend the money on their sports programs like they use to. That's why that coach now coaches at a suburban school.

Just to give an example of how PSL teams were loaded. The 1967 Pershing b-ball team who many old-timers would say was the greatest HS b-ball team in Michigan's history. This teams starting 5 all went on to play professional sports in either b-ball, baseball or football.

That team actually lost a game to Northwestern who I know had at least 1 professional baseball player and a basketball legend in Curtis Jones.

Even your non-PSL inner city schools like East Catholic and Deporres were just loaded with talent.

I agree that coaches now have to use strategy instead of raw talent to win games.

I will never forget coaches like Pete Carrill of Princeton who went against a talented Georgetown team and almost won.

Or who can forget Rick Carlise! His teams never got blown out. His teams [[Detroit and Indiana) focused on defense with and slowed the pace of the game. This allowed for his team to always have a chance to win.

Great coaches will make do with what he has and can make his team competitive.

Great coaches will make do with what he has and can make his team competitive.
    Especially at the High School level !!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Just to give an example of how PSL teams were loaded. The 1967 Pershing b-ball team who many old-timers would say was the greatest HS b-ball team in Michigan's history. This teams starting 5 all went on to play professional sports in either b-ball, baseball or football.

That team actually lost a game to Northwestern who I know had at least 1 professional baseball player and a basketball legend in Curtis Jones.

Even your non-PSL inner city schools like East Catholic and Deporres were just loaded with talent.
    I love your insight. However, the greatest highschool teams would be Flint Northwestern Team with Glen Rice, Jeff Grayer, and Andre Rison.

Also, let's not forget Detroit Southwestern team with Jalen Rose, Voshon Lenard, and Howard Eisley

I love your insight. However, the greatest highschool teams would be Flint Northwestern Team with Glen Rice, Jeff Grayer, and Andre Rison.

Also, let's not forget Detroit Southwestern team with Jalen Rose, Voshon Lenard, and Howard Eisley
    Both of those teams were very, very good especially the Flint NW team. BTW what you see happening with the PSL you saw happen with the Flint Public schools about 10 years earlier. With GM leaving there was a mass exodus of students [[talent). The Flint Public Schools b-ball programs are only a shell of there former selves.

I know that when you talk about greatest teams a lot of that is generational... its depends on if you saw that team or not.

To give you an idea about the the 1967 team I'm posting a link from a MHSAA story honoring the 67 and 70 teams [[70 team a good but not great team)

http://www.mhsaa.com/MHSAA_ARCHIVE/r...y/bbbleg05.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Both of those teams were very, very good especially the Flint NW team. BTW what you see happening with the PSL you saw happen with the Flint Public schools about 10 years earlier. With GM leaving there was a mass exodus of students [[talent). The Flint Public Schools b-ball programs are only a shell of there former selves.

I know that when you talk about greatest teams a lot of that is generational... its depends on if you saw that team or not.

To give you an idea about the the 1967 team I'm posting a link from a MHSAA story honoring the 67 and 70 teams [[70 team a good but not great team)

http://www.mhsaa.com/MHSAA_ARCHIVE/r...y/bbbleg05.pdf

As a alum of Osborn, it is difficult to admit that Pershing has the greatest team in Michigan.

Osbornites has a disdain for the Pershing Doughboys.

As a alum of Osborn, it is difficult to admit that Pershing has the greatest team in Michigan.

Osbornites has a disdain for the Pershing Doughboys.
    How could two schools that are so close have such different outcomes when it comes to sports

currently and historically ?

Even the 6th man on that team played D1.
    However in Flint I would say the Central teams of 1981-82 would have beaten Northwestern. Those were truly great teams. Central won 3 straight State Championships and what was really impressive was after all their stars graduated they won it again in 83.
    Also dont forget Northern early 80's Frieder coached teams.

Its the Battle of 7 Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Even the 6th man on that team played D1.
    However in Flint I would say the Central teams of 1981-82 would have beaten Northwestern. Those were truly great teams. Central won 3 straight State Championships and what was really impressive was after all their stars graduated they won it again in 83.
    Also dont forget Northern early 80's Frieder coached teams.
    Bill Freider was never recognized for what he was....A great coach.

Murray–Wright alumni Robert "Tractor' Traylor dead.

See espn article --> http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6527372

Robert 'Tractor' Traylor found dead
    Associated Press

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Robert Traylor, the former NBA and University of Michigan big man nicknamed "Tractor" because of his hulking frame, has died. He was 34.

Described as a "gentle giant" with a generous smile, Traylor played seven years in the NBA. He is perhaps most remembered, however, for his career at Michigan, where he was a standout for three seasons but became embroiled in a major scandal involving a booster.Robert "Tractor" Traylor's big heart, even though it betrayed him when he was only 34, is his legacy, Jemele Hill writes.

Police in San Juan said Traylor was found dead Wednesday on the bedroom floor of his oceanfront apartment. Police and Traylor's team, the Bayamon Cowboys, said he had been missing for a few days and apparently died from a heart attack.

contd...

Robert Traylor brings me back to the title of this thread... an era ends ! Right now I can't think of an PSL player since Traylor who has had a significant impact in the NBA. Not that we haven't had PSL players in the league since Traylor, but for the most part they were and are bench players just hanging on in the league.