Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Greektown Apartments?

Doing some apartment hunting and was wondering if there were any good buildings in Greektown?

Well, there are lofts above Nikki's. I toured them once, they are pretty much basic lofts- hardwood floors, high ceilings, big windows. One cool feature of the building is the old-school wrought iron elevators that are open with gates, like you see in the movies. The loft I looked at had a bar already built in. Here are the downsides from what I understand: The building is very loud, not only because of the bars and restaurants below, but also because the building has a reputation as being a party pad. Walk by there on a Friday night and you will see people partying up there. I know there were also a few DJs who lived in that building so expect loud music. You should also ask about the roach situation as many places above restaurants will have that problem. Lastly, I've heard rumors that strippers from Bouzoukis Lounge hang out there... whether that's a good or bad thing depends on you!

I don't know of any other places actually in Greektown, although Millender Center is close, about 2 blocks down Brush St. in "Bricktown." The Greektown lofts seem like a great place if you are looking for a fun spot to party and aren't in need of a quiet space. If I were a bartender or musician, I would definitely consider living there, unfortunately my life is much more plain clothes than that.

Here's a link to Greektown Lofts. Like I said, I'd be interested to know if there are any other places to actually live in Greektown. I don't think there are.

Try Lafayette Park. It's a 5 min walk to Greektown.

I live in Parc lafayette Condominiums near lafayette park. very safe, quiet, well kept up friendly neighborhood. I love walking to greektown...having downtown at my footstep surrounded by forest-like parks and the dequindre cut leading to eastern market, also the riverfront. it cant get any better!

DetroitDad Guest

Harmonie Park lofts are amazing, I was on the waiting list and lucked out. They are affordable, clean, all utilities included, great location. There is a bar downstairs but they are not that much of a bother. There are only 9-12 units in the building, something like that, so they go quick.

How much GS?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    How much GS?
    Looks like they start at $700.00/mo. What a steal. I guess I'm going to have to put HP Lofts on my short-list as well.

I can't believe developers are not putting together more loft projects downtown seeing as many of the buildings are full or have waiting lists. The Iodent Building on Park Ave hasn't had availability in years from what I hear. The demand is there.

I agree, the red brick buildings on Grand River & Griswold and the Harmonie Center [[the tall abandoned building on Broadway across from Broadway Lofts) seem prime & in good condition. Surprised that smaller projects aren't going on. If you look at a city like Toledo or Grand Rapids, they are smart, they turn their little 2-10 story buildings into lofts. For some reason, here in Detroit, we usually demolish those buildings, and attempt to carve out lofts in gigantic buildings that the market can't support, like Book-Cad, Broderick, etc. I hope the best for those developments, but to me it seems more economically feasible to rehab & fill a smaller building.

Brush & Sylin, the only thing about HP Lofts is that there is no parking, so I rent a space from the Opera Hs Garage. There are some other lots in the area you can do that too. They range from $50-$75/mo.

Here's hoping that 1300 East Beaubien turns into rentals once the Police move to their new digs in the former MGM site. They can use the lockups as storage facilities for the renters!

Granted, I'm not sure of the convertability of the building for residential... but I really don't see the proximity of the county/city jails as that much of a drawback... after all they are fortified. And being 1 block from Greektown would be a nice anemity.... proximity... without all the noise.

DetroitDad Guest

Welcome! Many of us here have already done a ton of research about living in greater Downtown Detroit, so feel free to ask any questions. Below are some resources to take a look at.

Past discussions on the topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Here's hoping that 1300 East Beaubien turns into rentals once the Police move to their new digs in the former MGM site. They can use the lockups as storage facilities for the renters!

Granted, I'm not sure of the convertability of the building for residential... but I really don't see the proximity of the county/city jails as that much of a drawback... after all they are fortified. And being 1 block from Greektown would be a nice anemity.... proximity... without all the noise.
    Actually, I stayed at the Liberty Hotel in Boston recently, which was converted from a jail into a luxury hotel in 1996. This place was spectacular- 4 Diamond hotel with 2 restaurants and a lobby that turned into a posh nightclub at night. They turned the catwalks into intimate sitting areas where you could order drinks and overlook the lobby. There is something fascinating about the history of the hotel as a former jail that makes it unique and intriguing.

Here are some pictures of the the Liberty Hotel: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1280&bih=608

The same thing could be done with Wayne County Jail [[the old building) and 1300 Beaubien:

Name:  E6TnvQEPabIDuw5GWv7INc.jpg
Views: 6612
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  WCJail_1.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  32.1 KB

Architecturally speaking, both buildings are beautiful and could be converted into trendy lofts and/or a hotel with a restaurant and nightclub. If Boston can pull it off, I think Detroit can. There would definitely be some novelty in saying that I went to the bar in the Detroit-Wayne County Jail. The location is also prime real estate right next to Greektown.

Brush, a cool idea, I would definitely like to see the buildings reused as well. But it's hard to compare 1300 & the Wayne Co Jail with Liberty Hotel, which is a much older building, with a lot more historic appeal, and also with a nice open layout that is easy to convert. I don't think the Wayne Co Jail is similar, it is much more modern with tiny cells, long hallways... very institutional.

Gsgeorge, I'm not sure which building Brushstart is talking about... but he mentioned "the old building"... and I don't think that would be the one you're thinking of. We'll have to get a pic.

But the 1300 Beaubien has a beautiful rusticated Italian Renaissance "Piazzo" style to it that [[at least from the outside) would make a nice living space. I only have vague memories of the dumpy interior from 20 years ago when I took my late father to get a gun permit there... so I have no clue as to what can be done with the interior... short of completely gutting it.